Confused about passing Watch

Laura1234567890
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
So I'm in my first year of uni and need to pass each module to progress to next year

I don't know if it's different in other unis but here it's 40% to pass

In one subject an essay makes up 50% of my mark and an exam makes up 50%

I just found out I got 68% in my essay so that's good, 2 marks off a first but I'm not confident about the exam

So my question is, if I failed my exam, say I got about 35% would the module still be counted as a pass because I got 68% in my essay?

Thank you!

x
feathered-soul
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It depends form uni to uni. Some will say that you must have over 40% in every exam/assignment, some just want 40% overall on the course or module. They'll probably have a limit of how low a mark you can get before you're made to retake the exam, year or be asked to leave. My uni wants 40% overall with 30% or above in every module. Getting 25% or less is counted as basically not attempting the exam/assignment and then you could potentially be asked to leave.

Read your course/uni booklet or email your tutor if you're unsure.
SlowlorisIncognito
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It depends on the university. You should be provided with this information, probably in your handbook.

At my university, you must get an average passing grade for both coursework and exams to be considered to have passed the module. So, if you have two pieces of coursework, and get 70% on one, and 35% on another, but it averages a pass, that's fine. If you get 70% in coursework and 35% in the exam, you aren't considered to have passed the module, and you have to retake the exam. However, at the end of all the retakes, you are sometimes allowed a discressionary pass if you have between 30-40% in either exams or coursework for a module, if you overall average is over 40%. This is at the discression of the module and course leader, and normally would only be given for one or two modules a year.

However, there is no such thing as standard practise for universities, so you should check with your own university.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (161)
17.54%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (81)
8.82%
No I am happy with my course choice (546)
59.48%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (130)
14.16%

Watched Threads