The Student Room Group

AQA - English Language B A2 - 3rd of June

Not sure if there is already a thread out there for this exam, I looked but couldn't find one.

So yes, how is everyone feeling for this exam? Any revision tips? Any topic you love/hate?

Good luck :smile:

Scroll to see replies

I haven't even started revising and I wouldn't know where to start atm! It doesn't help that my English teacher is away on paternity leave either so we're kind of at a standstill. -_-' Do you have any techniques that you'll practise especially as it's closed text? I was thinking of writing quotes on post-it notes and sticking them around my bedroom walls with quick analysis/interpretation.
Original post by saraw26
Hi :smile:

Yeah, sort of know the feeling - our teacher has just left, so we have a new one, it's mixed everything up.

Quotes? hang on, are you talking about Lit? This thread is about Language :tongue:

This is awkward. This is also what happens when you've had 3 hours of sleep last night and have survived on Red Bull the entire day. I'll slowly back away now. Looool :colondollar:
Reply 3
meeeeeeeeeee :wavey: haven't started revising yet, although i have made a revision timetable, because i have loads of coursework :frown: but i make little notecards with key words on and test myself on those (wow that sounds pathetic...), or mind maps with plans for answers on and stuff :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by ukulele
meeeeeeeeeee :wavey: haven't started revising yet, although i have made a revision timetable, because i have loads of coursework :frown: but i make little notecards with key words on and test myself on those (wow that sounds pathetic...), or mind maps with plans for answers on and stuff :smile:

YAY someone else is :biggrin: :hello:

I haven't started revision either. Have you done the English coursework?

Nono, that sounds great :yep:
Reply 5
Original post by saraw26
YAY someone else is :biggrin: :hello:

I haven't started revision either. Have you done the English coursework?

Nono, that sounds great :yep:

in the middle of the coursework now, you? i'm doing mine on language and gender stereotypes in the big bang theory :biggrin:
Reply 6
Original post by ukulele
in the middle of the coursework now, you? i'm doing mine on language and gender stereotypes in the big bang theory :biggrin:

Finished it and handed it in. My teacher will then mark the classes and give us any feedback (well, only if it has gone horribly wrong :tongue: )

Woah! That's amazing, I love TBBT :biggrin: What have you found? :smile:

Mines on the Biff and Chip/Magic Key books and mainly centred on Language Acquisition :yes:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by saraw26
Finished it and handed it in. My teacher will then mark the classes and give us any feedback (well, only if it has gone horribly wrong :tongue: )

Woah! That's amazing, I love TBBT :biggrin: What have you found? :smile:

Mines on the Biff and Chip/Magic Key books and mainly centred on Language Acquisition :yes:

ah lucky! wish ours was done faster :/ mostly a lot on how language is used to reinforce stereotypes, particularly Penny, because she's portrayed as the blonde bimbo mostly (to be honest i havent done very much yet:colondollar:).
ooh i loved the language acquisition topic! that must have been so interesting :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by ukulele
ah lucky! wish ours was done faster :/ mostly a lot on how language is used to reinforce stereotypes, particularly Penny, because she's portrayed as the blonde bimbo mostly (to be honest i havent done very much yet:colondollar:).
ooh i loved the language acquisition topic! that must have been so interesting :smile:

It doesn't have to be submitted until May, but our teachers are being strict. Our initial deadline was before Christmas, but it was extended by about 2 months as one of our teachers left :eek: so we needed extra time.

Haha, that's so cool! Although studying TBBT for English may kill it a little :tongue:

We've not long started it actually, but I looked into it in advance for my coursework :smile: Have you done language change yet?
Reply 9
Does anyone have the mark scheme for the June 2013 paper perhaps? :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by chellls

I'll have a quick look on my school moodle and check for you :yep:

How are you finding English Lang this year? :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by saraw26
It doesn't have to be submitted until May, but our teachers are being strict. Our initial deadline was before Christmas, but it was extended by about 2 months as one of our teachers left :eek: so we needed extra time.

Haha, that's so cool! Although studying TBBT for English may kill it a little :tongue:

We've not long started it actually, but I looked into it in advance for my coursework :smile: Have you done language change yet?

oh ok, still good you got to get it all out of the way though :smile:
aw man i hadn't even thought about that :/ I did get to watch loads of it though, to pick the right episodes so that was good :tongue:
yep we did language change at the same time as acquisition but with different teachers :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by chellls

Had a look but couldn't find it :frown: how are you finding English anyway?

Original post by ukulele
oh ok, still good you got to get it all out of the way though :smile:
aw man i hadn't even thought about that :/ I did get to watch loads of it though, to pick the right episodes so that was good :tongue:
yep we did language change at the same time as acquisition but with different teachers :smile:

Yeah, it is nice. But now I've done 70% of my English A level and it's all down to the exam now :tongue:
Haha sounds so fun! I have to say, I loved reading Biff and Chip :yep:

Yeah, we've nearly done change, and we only have written left in acquisition, so not too much left :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
hiya,

Me and my friend were just wondering hows things going for language change? My class had a bit of trouble this year regarding teachers and we have done no work whatsoever, the teacher that we've got cant really teach us, do any of you have tips or advice or any good material that you could pass on? It will be really useful.

I'm doing this exam! I need to get a pretty high mark to secure an A for university. What are you all hoping to get?
Reply 15
Original post by S_Boora
hiya,

Me and my friend were just wondering hows things going for language change? My class had a bit of trouble this year regarding teachers and we have done no work whatsoever, the teacher that we've got cant really teach us, do any of you have tips or advice or any good material that you could pass on? It will be really useful.

We've been over and over it - feels like we've overdone it a bit haha.

There isn't much you can do really apart from revise terminology and practise questions :dontknow:

I'll try and find some resources for you :yep: I hope things get better regarding your teacher!

Original post by appleduck
I'm doing this exam! I need to get a pretty high mark to secure an A for university. What are you all hoping to get?

I am aiming for an A. I am in quite a good position for an A and since I got an A last year and in my coursework, I think I need a C or B in this exam to get an A overall :woo:

What do you need?
Original post by saraw26
I am aiming for an A. I am in quite a good position for an A and since I got an A last year and in my coursework, I think I need a C or B in this exam to get an A overall :woo:

What do you need?

Last year I got 158 UMS (2 off an A, so annoying!), resitting the coursework to try and push it up though!
Reply 17
Original post by appleduck
Last year I got 158 UMS (2 off an A, so annoying!), resitting the coursework to try and push it up though!

Ahh you can do it! :yep: What are you going to change about your coursework or are you completely redoing it? :redface:

I think I got 178 or something :tongue:
Original post by saraw26
Ahh you can do it! :yep: What are you going to change about your coursework or are you completely redoing it? :redface:

I think I got 178 or something :tongue:

I'm completely redoing it, I wasn't happy with my work when I submitted it last year, so this year I'm making sure that it's worthy haha!

In terms of the exam this year, I'm pretty good with the terminology and everything, just need to figure out how to get into those really high marks!
Reply 19
Original post by saraw26
We've been over and over it - feels like we've overdone it a bit haha.

There isn't much you can do really apart from revise terminology and practise questions :dontknow:

I'll try and find some resources for you :yep: I hope things get better regarding your teacher!

What do you need?

Ahh thank you so much, it will help a lot! Everyone in the class feels like they're gonna fail the language change side we're very confident about the language acquisition side of things though!

Yeah we've been messed about so much regarding English teachers I just wanna learn something haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest