The Student Room Group

AQA - English Language B A2 - 3rd of June

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by HannahBanana1995
Hey, I've just looked through all the Past Paper questions on the AQA website, and I'm just wondering.... has there ever been a questions dedicated to solely 'reading' development? I see speech appears pretty much every year, and writing too, but not specifically reading? Or is reading tied in with writing most of the time?

I've been told to look for a reading past paper question... help?!

Hey :smile: There are two texts to chose from, the first is spoken and the second is reading or writing. I'm pretty sure I've seen a couple on reading. I'll have a look and get back to you :smile:
Reply 61
Hey, I've just looked through all the Past Paper questions on the AQA website, and I'm just wondering.... has there ever been a questions dedicated to solely 'reading' development? I see speech appears pretty much every year, and writing too, but not specifically reading? Or is reading tied in with writing most of the time?

I've been told to look for a reading past paper question... help?!

Yeah, looks like they are mostly written. The only one that breaks the pattern is January 2013: http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-ENGB3-QP-JAN13.PDF

Which is kind of both spoken and reading - but mainly spoken as the teacher is the main reader.

How odd :tongue:
Original post by saraw26
Yeah, looks like they are mostly written. The only one that breaks the pattern is January 2013: http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-ENGB3-QP-JAN13.PDF

Which is kind of both spoken and reading - but mainly spoken as the teacher is the main reader.

How odd :tongue:

Yeah it's strange, the ones involving reading seem to be in the form of transcripts... Which is good because there's more to talk about, i.e. speech as well! I'll use the one you've suggested, thanks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 63
Yeah it's strange, the ones involving reading seem to be in the form of transcripts... Which is good because there's more to talk about, i.e. speech as well! I'll use the one you've suggested, thanks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, there's loads to talk about for Child Directed Speech (CDS) and discourse structure and adjacency pairs/turn taking :yep:
Reply 64
Anyone else worrying in case a dictionary question comes up for language change
Hoping it's not a reading and a writing question too, although would pick reading over writing any day of the week because you can talk about spoken too
Hoping a CDS question comes up because there would be loads to talk about!!
Anyone else got a prediction :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Here are some resources I have found, from looking at mark schemes, in order to get top marks you have to:

- be systematic in your approach, look at the text in the big picture. You won't get top band a01 if you just go through the whole thing analyzing with no structure.

- avoiding a deficit approach. Don't judge what stage the child is in, never ever say a child is advanced for its age or underdeveloped for its age, you will lose marks as examiners see you as judging the child. Same goes with language change.

- Embed your context into your answers. When you describe the context, do not describe it on its own, say how it affects the frameworks.

I found some exemplar exam marked scripts, but they are too large to upload here, if anyone wants them just pm me or something.
(edited 9 years ago)
Hi guys,
I'm sitting this exam and also resitting the AS exam... next week!
I'm pretty confident on Acquisition, but I'm worried about Change; looking at examiner reports, they never have much good to say about people's responses to change questions.
Does anyone have a good structure for the change questions?

Thanks!! :smile:
Original post by saraw26
Hey :smile: There are two texts to chose from, the first is spoken and the second is reading or writing. I'm pretty sure I've seen a couple on reading. I'll have a look and get back to you :smile:

Be my revision buddy Sarah! We can Skype each other questions and test each other and have debates haha :smile:
Reply 68
Original post by Tinglay
Here are some resources I have found, from looking at mark schemes, in order to get top marks you have to:

- be systematic in your approach, look at the text in the big picture. You won't get top band a01 if you just go through the whole thing analyzing with no structure.

- avoiding a deficit approach. Don't judge what stage the child is in, never ever say a child is advanced for its age or underdeveloped for its age, you will lose marks as examiners see you as judging the child. Same goes with language change.

- Embed your context into your answers. When you describe the context, do not describe it on its own, say how it affects the frameworks.

I found some exemplar exam marked scripts, but they are too large to upload here, if anyone wants them just pm me or something.

This is brilliant! are you sitting this exam too? :smile:
Original post by saraw26
This is brilliant! are you sitting this exam too? :smile:

Yeah, I'm rooting for an easy spoken text since they are the easiest to analyse. Advertising/newspaper articles for language change seem favorable too, hopefully no dictionary or speeches.

To be honest, I'm not a big fan of this exam, there is a lot of regurgitation of key words and phrases.

Unlike gender, power & technology, I feel like child language acquisition has very little applicability in the real world unless you wish to go into that field.
Reply 70
Original post by Tinglay
Yeah, I'm rooting for an easy spoken text since they are the easiest to analyse. Advertising/newspaper articles for language change seem favorable too, hopefully no dictionary or speeches.

To be honest, I'm not a big fan of this exam, there is a lot of regurgitation of key words and phrases.

Unlike gender, power & technology, I feel like child language acquisition has very little applicability in the real world unless you wish to go into that field.

Spoken for Acquisition? There is always a spoken one for Language Acquisition :yep:

Yeah, I like webpages vs. an old text - then you can bring in technology too :biggrin:

True, but I am hopefully studying Speech Therapy in September - so it'll be very helpful for that :smile:
Reply 71
Desperately need some help and revision tips for Language Change. If anyone also has anything on Acquisition would be of great deal. Suddenly realised how little I know...
Reply 72
Original post by kingzebra
mdfk

That was so helpful all of the above. You seem ready for the exam. Any more help like this on Acquisition and Change?
Reply 73
I have an English Mock tomorrow. We've done a Language Change mock before which I got an A grade for - but we've not done a language acquisition mock as we've had a change of teacher. So we're doing a full 2 and a half hour mock tomorrow... wish me luck :wink:
Quick question - how would you apply Heath's findings from American communities (first page of reading section in textbook) to real data?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by daizy
That was so helpful all of the above. You seem ready for the exam. Any more help like this on Acquisition and Change?

Sorry muffin, I didn't realise your post was to me! If you have skype or an email address or something, PM me and I'll send you stuff and tips etc :smile:
Reply 76
Original post by kingzebra
Be my revision buddy Sarah! We can Skype each other questions and test each other and have debates haha :smile:

Didn't realise this was to me as my name is Sara and I automatically ignore it with a 'h' on the end :lol:

But I don't have skype - email me though and we can test each other :biggrin:
Reply 77
Well I did my mock today - it went on until 4:30pm today as it's 2 and a half hours :tongue:

I didn't like the questions on language change that came up at all - and normally language change is my stronger area over acquisition :s-smilie:

Just hoping to get a B or A so I can work and learn from it :smile:
Original post by saraw26
Didn't realise this was to me as my name is Sara and I automatically ignore it with a 'h' on the end :lol:

But I don't have skype - email me though and we can test each other :biggrin:

Oh my God I'm so sorry! :ahhhhh: my mum is called Sarah so it's just an automatic response! Yipeeeeee- sounds goodie :biggrin:
Reply 79
Quick question - how would you apply Heath's findings from American communities (first page of reading section in textbook) to real data?

Posted from TSR Mobile

What did Heath find again? I really need to revise over my theorists :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest