MostUncivilised
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
If you were sent back in time, and suddenly became the pater familias of a wealthy family in Roman times, would you have sex with your attractive slaves, knowing with your modern sensibilities that it might verge on rape given they are unable to give true consent?
Eva.Gregoria
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 8 years ago
Why would anyone even consider having sex with someone who doesn't want to and wouldn't enjoy it? It really baffles me...

Posted from TSR Mobile
MostUncivilised
Rep:
(Original post by Eva.Gregoria)
Why would anyone even consider having sex with someone who doesn't want to and wouldn't enjoy it? It really baffles me...
Good question. I don't think I could; on the other hand, the slave might get into it knowing that it would increase the likelihood they would be manumitted.

I suppose it is an open question whether they are truly able to consent. If you had particularly hot slaves (or, of course, you could buy them), I can certainly understand the average person might be tempted.
desdemonata
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
No. In the same way that if I could do anything I consider morally wrong and get away with it, I still wouldn't. It's why I've been in LDRs totalling over 3 years now and have never cheated. I have my vices but giving in to temptation is not really one of them. I'd just hate myself for being such a self-serving hypocrite :bebored:

Though I am female, so I would hardly be an eligible pater familias.

Edit: my morals are dictated by me, and what I believe to be right or wrong. While this obviously allows for some error and evolution over time as my beliefs change, what it doesn't really agree with is argumentum ad populum, to use the phrase appropriate to this thread.
Red one
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Well, I mean I'm not a rapist but if it was a common practice then sure why not? I want to say more but I fear someone might report me.
Habsburg
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Just to clarify, are we assuming that they are unable to consent on the basis of their legal status as slaves, as opposed to factors like them just being unwilling?
The_Dragonborn
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
I do remember watching a TV programme where it was shown that slaves did often have consensual sexual relationships with their masters.
ElGenioEstúpido
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Yes.
MostUncivilised
Rep:
(Original post by Habsburg)
Just to clarify, are we assuming that they are unable to consent on the basis of their legal status as slaves, as opposed to factors like them just being unwilling?
I think it's a mix of both questions. I suspect most slaves would probably acquiesce to the sexual advances of their master, it would be expected, but they might not be entirely enjoying it

Of course, in modern times if you kept someone in slavery it would be hard to suggest they could consent. But in a society where it was more normal?
MostUncivilised
Rep:
(Original post by desdemonata)
Though I am female, so I would hardly be an eligible pater familias.
For the purposes of this thread, let us suppose that the ladies would go back as a wealthy widow or single woman with slaves.
silverbolt
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Do you think having sex with a slave is somehow worse than owning one?

i think it would depend on how long it would take you to "go native"

An abhorrence to slavery is a modern day social conditioning, in roman times many slaves were a sign of prestige and humans viewed the world very differently.
desdemonata
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by MostUncivilised)
For the purposes of this thread, let us suppose that the ladies would go back as a wealthy widow or single woman with slaves.
In that case, refer to my edited response above :pierre:
lucaf
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
well I wouldn't randomly tell/ask a slave to have sex with me but I probably do if they seemed to be coming on to me, I mean they might only be doing it to get favour from their master but it can't really be rape if I didn't initiate it

although I think that if I went back to Roman times I would probably just avoid owning slaves.
Viva Emptiness
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Eva.Gregoria)

Posted from TSR Mobile
I second this opinion. So in answer, no.
bj27
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Na, I wouldn't tbh.
Viva Emptiness
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by MostUncivilised)
Good question. I don't think I could; on the other hand, the slave might get into it knowing that it would increase the likelihood they would be manumitted.

I suppose it is an open question whether they are truly able to consent. If you had particularly hot slaves (or, of course, you could buy them), I can certainly understand the average person might be tempted.
Do you think that a slave that was good/pliant in the sack would be more likely to be freed, or in fact, kept for as long as possible in order to maximise...gains?
Clip
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Caecilius ancillam delectat.

Spoiler:
Show
edit - whoops. Yes, I know. It's a cardable offence to not provide a translation of foreign language posts. "Caecilius and the maid/slave girl please one another"
King Leonidas
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Nah, I'm not really into rape.
Flexa
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Anybody that saying they wouldn't is lying, those hot Italian babes, mmmmmmmmm :awesome:
Huskaris
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Without a doubt, yes.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever considered or are you currently considering an apprenticeship?

Yes, I am actively considering an apprenticeship (79)
13.57%
I am actively considering an alternative to uni that isn't an apprenticeship (11)
1.89%
I have considered an apprenticeship but it's not for me (147)
25.26%
I am considering a degree apprenticeship (47)
8.08%
I haven't considered an apprenticeship (280)
48.11%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
3.09%

Watched Threads