Turn on thread page Beta

Geography or History GCSE? Also, what are your thoughts on my current subjects? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello! I am a Yr 9 student and will pick my GCSEs in a few weeks! So far, I am going to do:
    1) Spanish- one modern foreign language is compulsory
    2) GEOGRAPHY / HISTORY
    3) Latin
    4) DT Graphics
    5) ICT

(Maths, English x2 and all 3 Sciences are compulsory)

So, the only one which I am confused about is Option 2: Geography or History??? Is one more respected than the other at Uni? (Want to do medicine) Which one is easier?
    We're doing AQA for history and iGCSE Geography if that helps. There is no controlled assessment in Geography but there is in History. There doesn't appear to be any coursework for history but there is a 2000 word essay of coursework for Geography.

ALSO, how did you find the rest of the subjects I am doing?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lordofthehumans)
    Hello! I am a Yr 9 student and will pick my GCSEs in a few weeks! So far, I am going to do:
    1) Spanish- one modern foreign language is compulsory
    2) GEOGRAPHY / HISTORY
    3) Latin
    4) DT Graphics
    5) ICT

(Maths, English x2 and all 3 Sciences are compulsory)

So, the only one which I am confused about is Option 2: Geography or History??? Is one more respected than the other at Uni? (Want to do medicine) Which one is easier?
    We're doing AQA for history and iGCSE Geography if that helps. There is no controlled assessment in Geography but there is in History. There doesn't appear to be any coursework for history but there is a 2000 word essay of coursework for Geography.

ALSO, how did you find the rest of the subjects I am doing?

Thanks!

I do both geography (wjec) and history (aqa) and I love them both! Really recommend them both really as they are interesting and broaden your knowledge on our world. Depends on you though really what do you enjoy now? I'd love to take them both for a-level! Geography is easier for me personally to do better in though. They are equally respected but I would make your decision based on how you find them both-choose the one you enjoy more.
    Ict I wouldn't recommend- it's compulsory for me but I don't even do gcse level so a bit pointless.

ReputationRep:
    The amount of coursework I did at GCSE in geography helped with building a secure grade for me and so in a way that was good, but I personally found the work tedious and quite frankly boring, and I wish I'd have done history on reflection, but that was only because of the topic they had done at gcse, so maybe you should spend time in your lessons thinking about which one you'd like to sit and do a lot of and revise for, and maybe try to find out which topics they cover in both subjects to see which appeal more to you?xx

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    WOW, two languages?! I can't help you there; I'm awful at languages.

I am also a hopeful medic and have just started college. Although I did geography at GCSE (and absolutely loved it), it was not an IGCSE. However, I've heard that universities would probably value a regular GCSE over an IGCSE. So if I were you, I'd pick history.

But to be honest, universities don't tend to look at exactly which GCSEs you attained the results in, it's mainly the grades. Doing three separate sciences and maths will look great on your application, as they tend to be the only actual grades they look at in respect to certain subjects.

I hope this helped, and if you want any more info about courses let me know. Good luck! Whichever you pick, I'm sure it'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    I've choosen History. Geography is too hard.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    If I were you, I'd drop IT. It's absolutely useless and a waste of time. Both Geography and History are brilliant and I would thoroughly recommend both; I think both provide an excellent foundation for understanding this planet. Don't worry about how 'respected' subjects are at GCSE because as Dr_in_the_making said, the grades are much more important than the subject choice as long as you've got triple science and maths.

ReputationRep:
    Personally i took history and loved it so much I am doing it for a level, but i think it is honestly down to personal preference on what topics you will cover. I know this is getting ahead a bit but if you want a good revision guide for spanish the letts GCSE success is brilliant it helped me so much and it is also really cheap off amazon.

ReputationRep:
    Your subject combination is really good, I took ICT and I absolutely loved it I took both History,AQA, and Geography also AQA. I found History more interesting overall but Geography was easier for me. But don't worry they are both equally respected by universities

ReputationRep:
    I did both History and Geography at GCSE (because I'm rubbish at art) and greatly enjoyed them. I would say I definitely found History more engaging but Geography slightly easier (but I did end up with same grade in both). As others here have said, do the one you enjoy most as both are equally respected and both worthwhile doing.

Also, your other choices will look good to employers/unis; languages go down well nowadays as fewer people are taking them and ITC is always useful. (I took French rather than Spanish or Latin, Food Tech rather than Graphics so I can't comment on details of the courses)

Good luck with your GCSEs and your future career plans!

ReputationRep:
    Your subject choices are a great combination, we're not allowed to take that many at our school
    I chose History over Geography and I love it, but we do Edexcel History and AQA Geography I think, haha.

ReputationRep:
    I took history story and geography and I must admit geography is a lot easier than history but it depends upon what you're more comfortable with...

in geography you have a lot more course work to do but only a couple exams where as in history you have to do the folder with coursework as well as a final exam too

ReputationRep:
    Mate I'm in year 11 and I'm doing the edexcel history gcse course and I can say it's one of the biggest regrets if my life. I'm getting As/A*s but I hate every single minute of it. It's so ****ing boring. Honestly geography is so much better

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Whatever you do don't take music.

I would drop IT and do both if you can. People found it quite boring when we did GCSE's but it is up to you.

IGCSE's are apparently harder than GCSE's maybe a good idea would be to look at the specifications for the subject beforehand so you would have an idea on what you are doing.

Personally I liked both in year 9 but I did pick history and I don't regret it. I am now doing it for A level and it is a fantastic subject.

University wise both are recognized equally.

Any idea what you want to study in uni?

ReputationRep:
    Geography is an easier subject at GCSE because History has a lot of essays. History is a more respected subject and can be very rewarding but if you don't have a good and interesting teacher you will probably struggle. Both are great subjects geography is more coursework like case studies while history is more essays and exams.

Also there one coursework piece in history + all the preparation essays you have to do which count towards your school grade (not your GCSE grade)

source: i did GCSE history and had friends doing Geography ; then again i love history i'm finishing HL IB modern history this year and will do an international relations course in uni. i also did ICT which was a very easy course , you don't learn much but its an easy A* ; sadly i don't see why you are doing latin unless you are going to do medicine in oxbridge for research because in the modern world latin is not very useful unless you want to do intricate medicine or a deep languages study.

ReputationRep:
    I loved history, I'm so glad I dropped geography for it now At least with the exam boards my school did, geography was easier. History is better respected, though (in my opinion).

ReputationRep:
    I am in year 11 studying AQA Geography and I hate it. All we do is copy things from powerpoints and from text books into our exercise books, but that might just be my school.

ReputationRep:
    I can help you! Last year (year 10) I did AQA Geography and loved it! I loved it so much I'm going to do it at A-level. Yes, it is true what people say, the coursework is tedious but the rest of the course is extremely interesting! On the other hand, this year I'm doing AQA History and I absolutely hate it, it's extremely tedious and it's a lot harder than Geography. If I were you, I'd pick Geography.

Kind regards,
    Ben

ReputationRep:
    Do History, way more interesting...

ReputationRep:
    Here are some reasons to study Geography

http://www.thegeographeronline.net/i...b-dp-geography

ReputationRep:
    When I was in your position, I chose Geography (Edexcel) over History (which I also believe to be with Edexcel). I did this because I was not interested by the content of the course (I'm not interested in modern history), but my opinion could be very different to you. I suggest that you do a little research on what each course entails, because subjects can be very different at GCSE than in year 9. Anyway, Geography and History are very good subjects to take, so you can't really go wrong!

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.