The Student Room Group

Do you guys ever think Britain will have a Muslim PM?

Hey guys,

Do you think that it is possible for the UK to have a prime minister elected that follows the Islamic faith?

Additionally would you vote for a Muslim PM if he/she seemed competent?

Also, when I say they are Muslim I mean that they view their religion as a big part of their identity but I do not mean that the person will be a radical "Sharia law NOW!" type of Muslim. They will be moderate.

I am interested in hearing your opinions but please do not turn this into another Islam-bashing thread.

Thanks guys :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I'm pretty sure there are already a couple. I remember reading those that voted in favour of gay marriage were shamed by Muslim clerics in the Islamic world.

But the shame is on the clerics.

As for an extremist? I doubt it and I hope not.

Edit:

Boom!

http://www.petertatchellfoundation.org/partnerships/pro-gay-marriage-muslim-mps-get-threats

In fact they were called apostates and even received death threats.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Sharia In Britain!
Reply 3
If he was leader of the Tory party and I thought he had good policies then why not? Cue someone who will say 'you don't vote for the PM!'
Original post by marol
Sharia In Britain!

No thank you.
Yes, there is a possibility. Not all muslims support the shariah law you know..
Original post by meenu89
If he was leader of the Tory party and I thought he had good policies then why not? Cue someone who will say 'you don't vote for the PM!'

What if he was leader of the Labour party and you thought he had good policies?
Reply 7
Original post by The Angry Stoic
I'm pretty sure there are already a couple.

Ah yes there are already quite a few Muslim MPs but the question is whether you think there will be a Muslim prime minister in the future?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Xroz
Ah yes there are already quite a few Muslim MPs but the question is whether you think there will be a Muslim prime minister in the future?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry I misread PM for MP.

He'd be lucky. There are a lot of bigoted people around.
Reply 9
Al mudaari for PM!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Umar1
Al mudaari for PM!

Posted from TSR Mobile

You must be high.
Reply 11
Original post by The Angry Stoic
Sorry I misread PM for MP.

He'd be lucky. There are a lot of bigoted people around.

It's hardly bigoted to prefer a secular Prime Minister.
Of course it's possible. I'd rather have a competent, moderate muslim than an incompetent atheist ANY day. I truly don't care what religion MPs are just as long as they never use their faith to try and legislate. Religion should have absolutely no bearing on what is legal or illegal in any country in my honest opinion; the religious opposition to same-sex marriage was to be expected, but it's no reason to not legalize it.

At the end of the day, I'd vote primarily for the party and their manifesto, and I'd only go against that if the leader of the party was an utter moron and incapable of leading the country.
Original post by Jjj90

+1 maybe we'll have a rapist as PM one day as these are a really under represented group.
honestly no but it would be worth a try...
Original post by meenu89

Is this a prerequisite for getting your vote?
Reply 16
Original post by Jjj90

Interesting you say that. But can't a PM be both religious and secular? David Cameron is Christian yet he seems quite secular in terms of his policies.

Original post by arcturus7
Of course it's possible. I'd rather have a competent, moderate muslim than an incompetent atheist ANY day. I truly don't care what religion MPs are just as long as they never use their faith to try and legislate. Religion should have absolutely no bearing on what is legal or illegal in any country in my honest opinion; the religious opposition to same-sex marriage was to be expected, but it's no reason to not legalize it.

At the end of the day, I'd vote primarily for the party and their manifesto, and I'd only go against that if the leader of the party was an utter moron and incapable of leading the country.

I agree with a lot of your points, but I fear many people simply will find having a Muslim PM as being too "foreign" and some people may generally even find it as being a scary prospect.

I don't think a muslim has ever been a leader of a western country but it would be cool if there was one soon.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
No, Cause everyone is judgmental and nobody would vote.

The DM would be all over him/her and portraying him/her as evil.
When we become a majority Muslim country probably very likely.
Reply 19
Original post by Xroz
Interesting you say that. But can't a PM be both religious and secular? David Cameron is Christian yet he seems quite secular in terms of his policies.

I actually wouldn't have a problem with a Muslim PM. We vote for the party, it makes no difference to me if the leader is muslim, christian, gentile or jew.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending