Extra things to make application look good?

Watch
ImNormal
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I'm trying to do a few things to make my application look better, so far I've taken part in Critical Thinking and Debate Club at my school. I was going to do EPQ but it was either that or Critical thinking and I chose the latter.
I'm just wondering what ideas others had for things that'll bump up an application?
Changing Skies
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Work experience if necessary, read books on the subject etc

Posted from TSR Mobile
ImNormal
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lucy96)
Work experience if necessary, read books on the subject etc

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've also done work experience at a Dentistry lab (although it's not relevant to what I want to do at University) and I'll get on the books thing. Thanks!
Changing Skies
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by ImNormal)
I've also done work experience at a Dentistry lab (although it's not relevant to what I want to do at University) and I'll get on the books thing. Thanks!
Oh nice, what do you want to study? great! Show you're interested in your subject and you'll be absolutely fine

Posted from TSR Mobile
ImNormal
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lucy96)
Oh nice, what do you want to study? great! Show you're interested in your subject and you'll be absolutely fine

Posted from TSR Mobile
Was thinking Economics or something along them lines but still another year until I apply (only year 12) so need to try and get decent grades this summer ready for applying :-)
Carnationlilyrose
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by ImNormal)
I'm trying to do a few things to make my application look better, so far I've taken part in Critical Thinking and Debate Club at my school. I was going to do EPQ but it was either that or Critical thinking and I chose the latter.
I'm just wondering what ideas others had for things that'll bump up an application?
Don't waste your time with extra-curricular activities for an academic course. Tutors aren't really interested. Spend your time becoming familiar with your subject: reading extra books outside the syllabus, going to public lectures and so forth.
Reformed2010
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by carnationlilyrose)
Don't waste your time with extra-curricular activities for an academic course. Tutors aren't really interested. Spend your time becoming familiar with your subject: reading extra books outside the syllabus, going to public lectures and so forth.
Agreed.

Unless the extra-curricular activity is heavily related to your course and furthered your interest in it academically. Volunteering for Amnesty International and attending a talk on say the Syrian crisis, could have been the catalyst for your academic interest in human rights. You may have bought a book from your favourite speaker and so on. While being the captain of your football team just seems like a waste of characters...
ImNormal
Rep:
?
(Original post by Reformed2010)
Agreed.

Unless the extra-curricular activity is heavily related to your course and furthered your interest in it academically. Volunteering for Amnesty International and attending a talk on say the Syrian crisis, could have been the catalyst for your academic interest on human rights. Compared to being captain of your netball team...
Interesting. I already have a few things relative to economy as it's a general interest of mine anyway.
But as for the talks/lectures you mentioned, do you know of any method I could go about finding local (and preferably free) talks that are available?

Posted from TSR Mobile
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Good general advice on PS writing here : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...onal_statement
hothedgehog
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Agreed.

Unless the extra-curricular activity is heavily related to your course and furthered your interest in it academically. Volunteering for Amnesty International and attending a talk on say the Syrian crisis, could have been the catalyst for your academic interest in human rights. You may have bought a book from your favourite speaker and so on. While being the captain of your football team just seems like a waste of characters...
I think your last statement is absolute rubbish for two reasons. 1) you don't spend your entire life only doing stuff relevant to your course. Showing that you already have studying and extra curricular activities going on speaks volumes about your good time management skills which are incredibly important. 2) being captain of a sports club means you are able to take responsibility for the leadership of a team and work within it too. Again, these are very valuable skills.

So, while I'm not saying that your personal statement should dwell on them for paragraphs and paragraphs, a line or two on each thing and, importantly, the 'soft skills' gained from them will be very beneficial. At the end of the day, that's what will distinguish you from every other kid with AAA applying.
Reformed2010
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by hothedgehog)
I think your last statement is absolute rubbish for two reasons. 1) you don't spend your entire life only doing stuff relevant to your course. Showing that you already have studying and extra curricular activities going on speaks volumes about your good time management skills which are incredibly important. 2) being captain of a sports club means you are able to take responsibility for the leadership of a team and work within it too. Again, these are very valuable skills.

So, while I'm not saying that your personal statement should dwell on them for paragraphs and paragraphs, a line or two on each thing and, importantly, the 'soft skills' gained from them will be very beneficial. At the end of the day, that's what will distinguish you from every other kid with AAA applying.
But people who have genuine passion about their subject tend to have taken part in extra curricular activities that are related to their course in some way or another. My example of being a volunteer for Amnesty International is not academic in nature, but can be used to demonstrate leadership and management skills too. I really don't think being the captain of a football team will distinguish you from another straight A student. In fact a woman sent by Cambridge to give advice on applying to Oxbridge pretty much said this to my class. I can remember her having to repeat herself after a few guys asked about including sport achievements. ''70% academic, 30% relevant to your course''. But being captain of a football team isn't going make you shine among economic applicants, especially if you're facing straight A students!
hothedgehog
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
But people who have genuine passion about their subject tend to have taken part in extra curricular activities that are related to their course in some way or another. My example of being a volunteer for Amnesty International is not academic in nature, but can be used to demonstrate leadership and management skills too. I really don't think being the captain of a football team will distinguish you from another straight A student. In fact a woman sent by Cambridge to give advice on applying to Oxbridge pretty much said this to my class. I can remember her having to repeat herself after a few guys asked about including sport achievements. ''70% academic, 30% relevant to your course''. But being captain of a football team isn't going make you shine among economic applicants, especially if you're facing straight A students!
Again, as you seem to have missed the point. It's not about what extra curriculars you do, it's about the soft skills you gain from them. Yes doing MUN is going to be great for those kind of degrees but at the same time, if you're only doing stuff related to that you're not a very rounded person. Getting a good variety of experiences which you can learn soft skills from and apply them to is the way forward. And again, I didn't say to dwell on them for a long time, a paragraph between all of them is quite ample but it would be stupid to miss them out. Finally, if you're going to a uni with AAA or more then you're not going to stand out more or less than anyone else, grades speak for themselves on your academic front so there's no need to dwell for such a long time on the academic stuff in your PS.
Paralove
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
They're essentially pointless unless related academically to your chosen course.

Example, me for languages - I was reading in the language, talking to penfriends, visited Morocco which was partially French speaking so helped me, and also related to work in Kenya to languages, as the kids in the school tried teaching me Swahili :P
Reformed2010
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by hothedgehog)
Again, as you seem to have missed the point. It's not about what extra curriculars you do, it's about the soft skills you gain from them. Yes doing MUN is going to be great for those kind of degrees but at the same time, if you're only doing stuff related to that you're not a very rounded person. Getting a good variety of experiences which you can learn soft skills from and apply them to is the way forward. And again, I didn't say to dwell on them for a long time, a paragraph between all of them is quite ample but it would be stupid to miss them out. Finally, if you're going to a uni with AAA or more then you're not going to stand out more or less than anyone else, grades speak for themselves on your academic front so there's no need to dwell for such a long time on the academic stuff in your PS.
Forgive me but when a women who recently graduated with a First from Cambridge, who as their admission ambassador tells my class. Divide your statement 70% academic and 30% relevant to your course. I don't deserve to go to university if I decided to ignore her. It's that simple. Top Universities that demand a less academic statement will state this clearly. But Durham is the only one I can think of that gives you the explicit chance to cater more to extra-circular activities by allowing you send them a substitute personal statement.

But even in the case of Durham, between working overseas for Amnesty International or being sports captain. Which one is really going to make you unique? Of course if people haven't done such things, then yeah I'd settle for sports captain.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (165)
43.88%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (42)
11.17%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (31)
8.24%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (80)
21.28%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (36)
9.57%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (22)
5.85%

Watched Threads