The Student Room Group

Is swimming good for building muscle?

As the title asks. Of course it won't be like weight lifting but will you gain muscle on your arms? Pectorals? Would your abs start getting developed? etc

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

it would tone but it wouldn't add size
It is very good for working all the muscles throughout your body, and is a great cardio workout too.
Original post by Kim-Jong-Illest
it would tone but it wouldn't add size

lol, pls don't give fitness related advice.
Original post by nopenopenope
lol, pls don't give fitness related advice.

jel cos u cnt kurl in the squat rak liek mi
Original post by Kim-Jong-Illest
jel cos u cnt kurl in the squat rak liek mi

u avin a gigle m8

1 cheeky **** m8 i swer
Original post by nopenopenope
u avin a gigle m8

1 cheeky **** m8 i swer

i swr on me mams lyf ill wrek u, str8 huk in th gabber
Up to a certain point yes. After that it just makes you fat.
Reply 8
No it is rubbish, just like riding a bike won't make your legs big either...unless they're genetically pre-disposed to being big, but then again you would probably just have big legs regardless.
Reply 9
Original post by UnknownRoyalist

You have to get fat first anyway, then convert it into muscle with weights
swimming (like riding a bike) does strengthen and help to gain muscle. but with swimming it's lean muscle so you will be toned but you wont bulk up. The muscles will be there but you wont look like a body builder.

sorry but riding a bike does develop leg muscles more than other muscles. so if you train and do it long enough they will build with cycling (not so much with swimming). if you think i'm wrong Google image Chris Hoy and tell me his thighs aren't big. i've been cycling all my life and these are some big muscly thighs.

swimming is one of the best things you can do for your body and mind. good luck :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by lazy millie
swimming (like riding a bike) does strengthen and help to gain muscle. but with swimming it's lean muscle so you will be toned but you wont bulk up. The muscles will be there but you wont look like a body builder.

sorry but riding a bike does develop leg muscles more than other muscles. so if you train and do it long enough they will build with cycling (not so much with swimming). if you think i'm wrong Google image Chris Hoy and tell me his thighs aren't big. i've been cycling all my life and these are some big muscly thighs.

swimming is one of the best things you can do for your body and mind. good luck :smile:

I enjoyed reading that, cheers for the laughs.

Chris Hoy squats > 220kg, if you really think his thighs got that big from cycling then you're a massive moron.

Why would swimming make you fat? :lolwut:
Original post by lazy millie

sorry but riding a bike does develop leg muscles more than other muscles(probably made them smaller). so if you train and do it long enough they will build with cycling (not so much with swimming). if you think i'm wrong Google image Chris Hoy and tell me his thighs aren't big. i've been cycling all my life and these are some big muscly thighs.

I do around 6 miles a day on my bike and it has had no affect to my leg muscles. My housemate who is a courier on his bike and probably does between 100-200 miles a week has really twiggy legs.

Chris Hoy has big legs because he he genetically pre-disposed to having big legs and he also squats, you quite clearly see him doing it on that cereal advert. He also does sprint cycling, 99.999% of people do road cycling which is a lot less intense.
(edited 10 years ago)
Just going out to cycle on my bike to get jacket legs!

(edited 10 years ago)
Yeah it does, but if you want to look like the Olympians just by swimming then you'd have to do a hell of a lot of it.
(edited 10 years ago)

Swimming does not make you fat...
Original post by bertstare
You have to get fat first anyway, then convert it into muscle with weights

Original post by The Polymath
Why would swimming make you fat? :lolwut:

Original post by Plantagenet Crown
Swimming does not make you fat...

Hah. Can't believe you lot actually thought I was serious

Spoiler

I've started cycling regularly so I can get massive thighs like this:

Original post by Shawshank
I enjoyed reading that, cheers for the laughs.

Chris Hoy squats > 220kg, if you really think his thighs got that big from cycling then you're a massive moron.

moron right here. just speaking from personal experience of me and other cyclists i know. maybe this guy should just go all out and squat till his thighs explode. I know that athletes don't just get fit from the sport they do, they obviously do other things. The years of devotion, daily training, diet, toning etc all counts towards it. i'm just saying that cycling would help. not saying this guy should go all Chris hoy, just that cycling would be good. trying to help someone that had a question. *shrugs*

moron shutting up now

Quick Reply

Latest