The Student Room Group

house hunting!

I'm currently in my first year at uni in London, UCL, which is pretty central. My friends and I are looking for a house for the next academic year and are having an absolute mare trying to find one that is close to uni but not too expensive.

Is there any good estate agents or websites to go through to find specific houses for students in Central London, should we go through the uni union or is there a better way?
Reply 1
Original post by ltonge
I'm currently in my first year at uni in London, UCL, which is pretty central. My friends and I are looking for a house for the next academic year and are having an absolute mare trying to find one that is close to uni but not too expensive.

Is there any good estate agents or websites to go through to find specific houses for students in Central London, should we go through the uni union or is there a better way?

It's very unusual to be looking for a place (starting summer/september) now, no estate agent/landlord in London works this way. Wait for the ULU housing fair, start looking/your viewing after exams in May!
Don't worry about it now :smile:

Places many UCL live are Mornington Crescent/Camden/Kentish Town/Kings Cross if you are very proactive you might be able find one close to UCL (5-10mins walk) for £130.
The number of housemates has a huge influence on what properties are available to you, if there are 3+ then your best bet is to look further away from UCL to find larger properties for a decent price.
Reply 2
Original post by LoroPiana
It's very unusual to be looking for a place (starting summer/september) now, no estate agent/landlord in London works this way. Wait for the ULU housing fair, start looking/your viewing after exams in May!
Don't worry about it now :smile:

Speak for yourself. At my uni (Sheffield) it was a mad rush to get accomodation sorted before christmas to start the following summer.
Reply 3
Original post by Reue
Speak for yourself. At my uni (Sheffield) it was a mad rush to get accomodation sorted before christmas to start the following summer.

yeah it's like that in yorkshire too but london is different mate, and it costs a **** load more lol
Reply 4
Original post by ltonge

Is there any good estate agents or websites to go through to find specific houses for students in Central London, should we go through the uni union or is there a better way? To my mind, it’ll be better for you to look through some classifieds like Localmartuk.com or others where you’ll be able to choose rental property according to price limits and other criteria. It’s more comfortable to search from you house and compare different variants (you can always choose the rentals with your friends and family). I always find apartments for rent using websites.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending