The Student Room Group

Feminism and its ever decreasing relevance in society

Just came across this article in the Guardian:

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/jan/09/not-a-feminist-move-on-men-women

The arrogance of feminists in Western society has undermined the movement in general. From Pussy Riot attempting to "liberate" Muslim women from their alleged oppression, to journos such as this going on the defensive, advocating an extreme, impractical and rather nonsensical view of feminism.

Is feminism relevant anymore given the opportunities available in society for all nowadays?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Underd0g

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/jan/09/not-a-feminist-move-on-men-women

The arrogance of feminists in Western society has undermined the movement in general. From Pussy Riot attempting to "liberate" Muslim women from their alleged oppression, to journos such as this going on the defensive, advocating an extreme, impractical and rather nonsensical view of feminism.

Is feminism relevant anymore given the opportunities available in society for all nowadays?

Depends on the society.
Reply 2
Original post by SHallowvale
Depends on the society.

Explain?
Reply 3
That article made me chuckle.

There we have it Ladies and Gentleman. Mention men or anything to do with male issues on inequality then you aren't a feminist, and obviously hate women and don't want equality. You 'orrible little man. You aren't needed. Go back to your coal pits and beer drinking.

"If, every time someone starts talking about women's equality, you feel the urge to argue that, nowadays, men have it as bad or worse, or you secretly fear that in 20 years women will be keeping men in cages or some such, then, very simply, you are not a feminist."
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4

No, now it's just an excuse to moan about an ex-boyfriend or how the man in front of you got served first.
It's more relevant in cultures where women aren't treated as equal... (much of the Middle East, Russia etc.)

I'd argue there is still some relevance but hardline feminism in the West is definitely losing some. I think this article does miss the point a little.
Reply 6
Original post by cant_think_of_name
It's more relevant in cultures where women aren't treated as equal... (much of the Middle East, Russia etc.)

I'd argue there is still some relevance but hardline feminism in the West is definitely losing some. I think this article does miss the point a little.

But what is equality? Paying for a nanny so you can pursue your career as a banker because you are above raising your own damn kids?
Reply 7
Original post by Kiss
No, now it's just an excuse to moan about an ex-boyfriend or how the man in front of you got served first.

This.
But what is equality? Paying for a nanny so you can pursue your career as a banker because you are above raising your own damn kids?

What? No, it's about everyone having equal opportunities, where possible.
Reply 9

Pussy riot is a joke. If they represent feminism then ha ha.

Get your tits out for the lads...
Original post by Kiss

This. It's chivalry when they like it and sexism when they don't. Feminism is still needed in the Eastern World, however I feel that's more a religious issue than general rights. However, in the civilised west, it's not needed and angry bitter women use it as an excuse to pedal their biased views shaped by their own hatred against men.
There is a huge difference between somebody who wants to treat people equally, and somebody who wishes that everybody were made to be equal.

I think most Western feminists do not understand that.

OP, Pussy Riot does not attempt to liberate muslim women from their alleged oppression, Pussy Riot protest about oppression that they face, themselves, in Russia due to the policies of President Putin, i.e laws that define abortion and LGBT rights
Perhaps the arrogance lies in people who know little about the concept of feminism, trying to pretend they do so.
Reply 13
Original post by feathergirl
OP, Pussy Riot does not attempt to liberate muslim women from their alleged oppression, Pussy Riot protest about oppression that they face, themselves, in Russia due to the policies of President Putin, i.e laws that define abortion and LGBT rights
Perhaps the arrogance lies in people who know little about the concept of feminism, trying to pretend they do so.

Do you agree with the author of the article? Give me a simple 'yes' or 'no'.
Reply 14
Feminism is redundant in the West. If feminists could stop whining about a pen being a symbol of patriarchy as it resembles a p*nis, and instead focus on the fact that 60% of Pakistani women are illiterate, then they might be taken more seriously.
Do you agree with the author of the article? Give me a simple 'yes' or 'no'.

yes
Is feminism relevant in the UK? Well, to some extent, I guess. I just wish that some feminists were proper, especially at universities.
Reply 17
Original post by feathergirl
yes

So men should be excluded from the debate altogether? Isn't it precisely this closed-mined, one dimensional and frankly archaic attitude, bereft of any understanding or willingness to engage with the perpetrators of 'anti-femaleism' why the feminist movement is where it is at the moment?
LOL decreasing in its relevance. Look at all the threads on TSR about it. Some TSR members start 2 or 3 threads per week on feminism. Either its highly relevant to modern society, or we just have some members on here that are obsessives who think about feminism 24/7.
Reply 19
If you get off the internet and go out in the real world and talk to people, most of them don't care. That's because it looks like a pretty equal world from where we are. The major problems are abroad.

Quick Reply

Latest