The Student Room Group

Self teaching triple science and other gcses?

Hi I was wondering if it was possible to take triple science and other GCSE'S privately. I would prefer to be able to self teach these subjects. My questions are, is this possible, if so how would i go about doing this and what other GCSE's would you recommend me taking by self teaching? I Already have Maths, individual science, art, history. Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by Nath96
Hi I was wondering if it was possible to take triple science and other GCSE'S privately. I would prefer to be able to self teach these subjects. My questions are, is this possible, if so how would i go about doing this and what other GCSE's would you recommend me taking by self teaching? I Already have Maths, individual science, art, history. Thanks

Yes you can sit them privately, but you'd have to pay to sit them. It is very possible to self teach some of the sciences, Biology is very easy to self teach. Chemistry a little harder, only due to the titration calculations in the C3 paper. But I have to say I found it hard to teach myself Physics P2 & P3.

The way to go about it is that you need to buy decent books, the best ones put there are the GCSE Nelson Thornes endorsed by AQA. If you need more info on these books pm me. These books contain all the specification, along with exam style questions and summary questions, which you'll need to do if you want to pass with at least a B or an A.

For better practice you should print past papers and do them too, as well as self mark.

Other subjects you can self teach are - Geography, R.S. and Business Studies

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by 78Saab
Yes you can sit them privately, but you'd have to pay to sit them. It is very possible to self teach some of the sciences, Biology is very easy to self teach. Chemistry a little harder, only due to the titration calculations in the C3 paper. But I have to say I found it hard to teach myself Physics P2 & P3.

The way to go about it is that you need to buy decent books, the best ones put there are the GCSE Nelson Thornes endorsed by AQA. If you need more info on these books pm me. These books contain all the specification, along with exam style questions and summary questions, which you'll need to do if you want to pass with at least a B or an A.

For better practice you should print past papers and do them too, as well as self mark.

Other subjects you can self teach are - Geography, R.S. and Business Studies

Posted from TSR Mobile

wow thanks, is there any coursework involved in these subjects? Oh and one last thing where would I sit the exams? (I left school)
Reply 3
I self taught triple science, maths, English Language, geography and business studies using the recommended text book followed by loads of past papers which I self marked.

I came out with As and A* in Science, A* in English, A in maths, A in geography and a B in business. So its possible - its all about finding how you learn most efficiently. Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Nath96

Of course it's possible, but it depends on the person. Some people are naturally good at self teaching, whereas some people just can't. May I ask why you're thinking of self teaching these GCSEs?
Reply 5
Original post by Chlorophile
Of course it's possible, but it depends on the person. Some people are naturally good at self teaching, whereas some people just can't. May I ask why you're thinking of self teaching these GCSEs?

I left school and i'm doing my A levels now but the uni course I want to do would need triple science, where as I only did single
Reply 6
All three sciences have coursework, they are called ISAs. Geography and Business too have coursework. I think you'd sit them at an exam centre, you might want to look at the exam board websites for more info. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by Nath96
I left school and i'm doing my A levels now but the uni course I want to do would need triple science, where as I only did single

Speak to your college - most of them offer GCSE courses for exactly this purpose, mostly self taught with like 1 lesson a week + the coursework :smile:
Reply 8
A lot of people, myself included, self teach IGCSEs. This is as they have no coursework. You just need to find a local centre that does then and accepts private candidates.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sorry to thread jump but I will also like to self study gcse biology and chemistry and require the best textbooks.

I won't be taking the exams as I already have B's in double science awarded when I was in secondary school in 1999 but I am starting an access to science course in September 2014 and need to refresh my memory on the basics of science.

I have looked at the Nelson thornes student textbooks but you have to buy the teachers book to obtain the answers, which are quite expensive. Are CGP textbooks any good and do they have the answers to questions posed in the books?

Thanks
Original post by Lifechanger
Sorry to thread jump but I will also like to self study gcse biology and chemistry and require the best textbooks.

I won't be taking the exams as I already have B's in double science awarded when I was in secondary school in 1999 but I am starting an access to science course in September 2014 and need to refresh my memory on the basics of science.

I have looked at the Nelson thornes student textbooks but you have to buy the teachers book to obtain the answers, which are quite expensive. Are CGP textbooks any good and do they have the answers to questions posed in the books?

Thanks

Would just like to say the CGP books are fantastic, although I'd say the Nelson Thornes students textbooks are even better from my experience. Take a look on ebay, you may find some a lot cheaper! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest