The Student Room Group

Which is most likely to have compromised my pc?

Recently I had to refresh my pc (Windows 8) as it was playing up with virus-like behaviour. Although this did resolve the pc issues, it also meant that some of my software was lost - I was annoyed.

At the time (probably within a day of this happening), 3 changes were made that could've caused this:

Windows defender was activated (ironic)

Comodo Firewall was updated (but unable to run after Defender was activated)

Windows 8 software update (to Windows 8.1)

Which of these could've caused it? Which should/shouldn't be done? I was previously using HitmanPro (free version) to run scans every now and then - after I used it to rid my pc of a virus.
Reply 1
Original post by ash92:)

At the time (probably within a day of this happening), 3 changes were made that could've caused this:

None of those should be the source of a virus or other malware.

It's quite possible the virus had got onto your PC several days/weeks/months before it showed any virus like activity and didn't do anything to bring attention to itself.
Reply 2
Recently I had to refresh my pc (Windows 8) as it was playing up with virus-like behaviour. Although this did resolve the pc issues, it also meant that some of my software was lost - I was annoyed.

Which of these could've caused it? Which should/shouldn't be done? I was previously using HitmanPro (free version) to run scans every now and then - after I used it to rid my pc of a virus.

I've come across software before that severely slows down the pc and serves up ads on webpages and stuff, but wasn't classed as a virus by the antivirus software installed. Could it be something like that?
Reply 3
Original post by mfaxford
None of those should be the source of a virus or other malware.

It's quite possible the virus had got onto your PC several days/weeks/months before it showed any virus like activity and didn't do anything to bring attention to itself.

Original post by Stanno
I've come across software before that severely slows down the pc and serves up ads on webpages and stuff, but wasn't classed as a virus by the antivirus software installed. Could it be something like that?

With regards to the source of the virus, idk if the comodo update could have done it.
I was wondering more regarding what might have let it in, as opposed to where it came from.

Could the latency have been triggered by compromise in the pc's defences?

I had an ad virus thingy a while back, and cleared it thanks to help from this forum. The present on was just random lagging at startup, not going even up to the log in screen.
Reply 4
With regards to the source of the virus, idk if the comodo update could have done it.
I was wondering more regarding what might have let it in, as opposed to where it came from.

Could the latency have been triggered by compromise in the pc's defences?

I had an ad virus thingy a while back, and cleared it thanks to help from this forum. The present on was just random lagging at startup, not going even up to the log in screen.

Don't have a clue.

If there's no other software installed now, though, and it's still lagging, have you tried defragging* disk and stuff like that?

*if you have windows version < 7 or 8
Reply 5
Original post by Stanno
Don't have a clue.

If there's no other software installed now, though, and it's still lagging, have you tried defragging* disk and stuff like that?

*if you have windows version < 7 or 8

nope, no lagging anymore.

I'm looking for advice before windows 8 update (have to do it again) and windows defender activation.
Reply 6
nope, no lagging anymore.

I'm looking for advice before windows 8 update (have to do it again) and windows defender activation.

Windows 8.1 has been to known to cause issues with some hardware drivers - everyone at my university who have an Intel Centrino wireless adapter in their laptop + 8.1 cannot connect to the university enterprise network. Windows 8.1 on my laptop right now still doesn't recognise 7 devices whereas 8 did.

Define "virus-like behaviour"... I doubt combo instigated it - it's hard for us to help you draw that conclusion with little information. Little more please :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by AdampskiB
Windows 8.1 has been to known to cause issues with some hardware drivers - everyone at my university who have an Intel Centrino wireless adapter in their laptop + 8.1 cannot connect to the university enterprise network. Windows 8.1 on my laptop right now still doesn't recognise 7 devices whereas 8 did.

Define "virus-like behaviour"... I doubt combo instigated it - it's hard for us to help you draw that conclusion with little information. Little more please :smile:

There was an incredible lag when switching on the computer. Nothing was happening. The computer was unable to start up properly, and gave options that had to be chosen - to refresh the pc, or to wipe everything off. I chose to refresh the pc.

I appreciate that this isn't much, but it is everything that happened.
Reply 8
Just being slow could be a sign of various problems not just a virus, also if you previously had a virus on the system its possible that it hadn't been fully cleaned off and re-activated itself.

Personally I'd install a clean copy of windows, apply all updates and enable things like windows defender. Then install other software and recover documents etc. You want to get the protection on your computer as early as possible (Windows Updates, Windows Defender and other AV/Anti Malware software will do that for you).
Reply 9
Original post by mfaxford
Just being slow could be a sign of various problems not just a virus, also if you previously had a virus on the system its possible that it hadn't been fully cleaned off and re-activated itself.

Personally I'd install a clean copy of windows, apply all updates and enable things like windows defender. Then install other software and recover documents etc. You want to get the protection on your computer as early as possible (Windows Updates, Windows Defender and other AV/Anti Malware software will do that for you).

Cheers. Windows defender automatically switches off with other antimalware which is a bit annoying.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Cheers. Windows defender automatically switches off with other antimalware which is a bit annoying.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's because it's highly recommended to not run two anti virus softwares.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending