This discussion is closed.
kumon
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by Cyphrex)
Homosexuality isn't normal.
The normal is what the majority is. If someone was born with one arm he would not be considered normal because it isn't the norm.
If someone was born with blue skin they wouldn't be considered normal. If you met a black person who had blue eyes and ginger hair would you think that is normal?

No one is saying being not normal is bad.

What about attraction wise? Pedophiles are attracted to children. They are born that way it isn't like they chose to be yet they are still considered not normal. Homosexuality is the same way. Why? Because more people are heterosexual than homosexual or being a pedophile or attracted to intimidate objects or what ever. Any attracted apart from one to the opposite sex isn't normal because a majority dictates what is the norm and since the majority is heterosexual than that is what the norm is. If it was the other way round homosexuality would be normal but it isn't so stop saying that it is.

It isn't even normal in nature. Yes there are examples of homosexuality among other species but do those part of the species reproduce? Do they pass on their genetics. No. You show me an species where all of them are homosexuals and I will show you an extinct species.

Just because someone says Homosexuality isn't normal does not mean they are homophobic it simply means they are stating a fact. They aren't saying your a bad person or whatever they are just telling the truth.
This is like the man with the ginger hair and blue eyes getting angry at someone saying it isn't normal for a black person to have those particular features. Well guess what the majority of black people do not have those features SO HE IS NOT NORMAL.

Your brain chemistry is different from the majority so it is not normal. If you are saying homosexuality is normal then you do not know what the word normal means.
What does Tsr have to say about this?
He raises many points here which are true if i'm honest, especially the one arm one.
However I don't agree with it before this post gets the impression that I do.
John Stuart Mill
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Homosexuality is not normal, it's natural, not normal though statistically speaking, I only take issue when people try to derive ethical postulates from its normality.
fallen_acorns
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by kumon)
He raises many points here which are true if i'm honest, especially the one arm one.
if you are using normal to mean - average, or majority.. then yes homosexuals are not normal..

Its when you assign morality to 'normal' is often when the problem arrises.. (I.E something that isnt normal is wrong, or homosexual isnt normal because its wrong, etc.)

But then equally, none of us are normal by that reasoning.. you may have a normal sexuality (once again in the majority sense) but I can bet that in most people there will be atleast one thing where they fall outside of the majority.. and as such - are not 'normal'

Heck extend it to this:

'All women are not normal'

Why?

Because the majority of humans are men..

-- sure statistically its true that by a very very very slim margin (101/100) there are more male then female people... but its a pointless assertion, and a pointless use of 'normal'

In the same way that using it to mean homosexuals are a minority is.. everyone knows they are a minority.. and most people are not like that.. it hardly adds anything to a debate (unless being used as a way of hitting back, by once again assigning morality on, and using 'abnormal' or 'not normal', as an insult)
alow
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
What's so good about being normal?
james22
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Homosexuality certainly is not normal. But that does not have any implications for it's morality.
John Stuart Mill
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by alow)
What's so good about being normal?
How boring would it be if we all conformed to a certain standard? Obviously there are certain deontological expectations: 'do not kill' of course.
paradoxicalme
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
This is true. I only dislike people using the phrase when it's obvious they're using 'normal' as synonymous for 'acceptable'. Though, to be honest, it would seem a pretty pointless phrase; we all know the majority of people are straight.

Besides, I don't tend to hear people using that phrase. It's usually saying homosexuality isn't natural, not normal.
Double Agent
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Nah, its flippin fabulous. Who wants normal?
Paralove
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
What is considered normal and natural are two different things. Homosexuality is evident among species other than our own. It is not a choice. Therefore it is natural that they feel attracted to members of the same sex - it's not wrong. To go right to the absolute root, to say it isn't normal in the terms that it isn't the majority would be correct. But to say so in that it isn't natural is wrong, surely.

Merh, I just don't see what problem people have with someone being gay. It doesn't affect you, it doesn't concern you, therefore it's none of your business nor your right to dictate to them what is right and wrong in your world.
JCM
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Homosexuality is natural to some people, just like being heterosexual is for others.

A few hundred years ago, the idea of a square box in the corner of a room displaying other people for hours upon end, or being transported around in a box with four wheels without any effort at all was probably not described as "normal" and probably frowned upon as "unnatural". We evolved and became what we are today by adapting and accepting advancement.

The only difference between homo and hetero is the sex of which you are attracted to. That is it. Loving whom you wish in life without persecution or question should be a human right, and it is about time that we, as a species, accept homosexuals for who they are - human, and they have as much right to live and love as any other sexuality.
Stanno
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Homosexuality isn't normal.
The normal is what the majority is. If someone was born with one arm he would not be considered normal because it isn't the norm.
If someone was born with blue skin they wouldn't be considered normal. If you met a black person who had blue eyes and ginger hair would you think that is normal?
Being British or Japanese or almost any nationality isn't normal then, since they're all tiny minorities, globally speaking.

No one is saying being not normal is bad.
Good, because it'd be ludicrous to even suggest it.

What about attraction wise? Pedophiles are attracted to children. They are born that way it isn't like they chose to be yet they are still considered not normal. Homosexuality is the same way. Why? Because more people are heterosexual than homosexual or being a pedophile or attracted to intimidate objects or what ever. Any attracted apart from one to the opposite sex isn't normal because a majority dictates what is the norm and since the majority is heterosexual than that is what the norm is. If it was the other way round homosexuality would be normal but it isn't so stop saying that it is.
If most men are more attracted to women with blonde hair than brown, does that make a man who is more attracted to women with brown hair, abnormal? Pedophilia goes against the norm in more ways than that. For instance, it is effectively rape as we cannot expect children to give informed consent, and rape is not the norm. (Not to mention that pedophilia's 'abnormality' isn't why it's illegal)

It isn't even normal in nature.
It exists in nature, though.

Yes there are examples of homosexuality among other species but do those part of the species reproduce? Do they pass on their genetics. No. You show me an species where all of them are homosexuals and I will show you an extinct species.
What's your point?

Just because someone says Homosexuality isn't normal does not mean they are homophobic it simply means they are stating a fact. They aren't saying your a bad person or whatever they are just telling the truth.
This is like the man with the ginger hair and blue eyes getting angry at someone saying it isn't normal for a black person to have those particular features. Well guess what the majority of black people do not have those features SO HE IS NOT NORMAL.
Again, what's your point? Not liking jacket potatoes probably isn't normal for someone who's British, so what?

Your brain chemistry is different from the majority so it is not normal. If you are saying homosexuality is normal then you do not know what the word normal means.
Your entire argument seems to be built on semantics. When people say being gay isn't normal, they usually mean that therefore isn't right, or natural, or whatever. As per my example, I wouldn't consider being Japanese abnormal. It may not be the norm, but that doesn't mean it isn't normal, in the common sense.

(Original post by kumon)
Points that have no relevance to anything but semantics.
genuinelydense
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
i like how everyone on this forum talks as if it has been scientifically proven that people are born gay
Stanno
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by genuinelydense)
i like how everyone on this forum talks as if it has been scientifically proven that people are born gay
Has it been proven that people are born straight? No? Then what is your point?
skoav
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
What a pointless post.

Normality is subjective.

Posted from TSR Mobile
pjm600
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by kumon)
Weak argument based on conflating the meaning of 'normal', and more.

Normal has at least two everyday meanings:

1. Statistically representative of the group.

2. Socially acceptable behaviour.

Arguing that homosexuality should be classed as normal does not mean arguing that homosexuality should occur in any more than a minority of the population. Instead it is arguing that it should be classed as a socially acceptable behaviour. That does not seem particularly hard to grasp.

Another weak argument. Paedophilia is wrong because it involves a child which cannot consent to the activity. Evidently this does not apply to homosexuality.

It isn't even normal in nature. Yes there are examples of homosexuality among other species but do those part of the species reproduce? Do they pass on their genetics. No. You show me an species where all of them are homosexuals and I will show you an extinct species.
Not sure what this is saying, I can't see a coherent argument in this paragraph.
JCM
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
There are studies that suggest this, but nothing solid so far, as far as I'm aware. However, that could be flipped on its head and one could state that there is no scientific proof that people are born heterosexual, either. What does that matter?
BurstingBubbles
  • Peer Support Volunteers
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Define "normal". It can depend on society, religion, culture etc etc. If someone is happy and causing no one else harm, then leave them alone!
fallen_acorns
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Really? I dont think everyone has..

Nearly everyone takes the opinion that it is not a choice..

But that is very different from being 'born gay'
genuinelydense
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Stanno)
Has it been proven that people are born straight? No? Then what is your point?
fair enough. They'd probably find it quite insulting that you're essentially calling them 'hipsters' though. Whose side are you on, BTW :confused:
Plantagenet Crown
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
By normal most homophobes try to imply it's wrong, but homosexuality is completely natural.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you give blood?

Yes (38)
10.03%
I used to but I don't now (12)
3.17%
No, but I want to start (136)
35.88%
No, I am unable to (86)
22.69%
No, I chose not to (107)
28.23%