The Student Room Group

A-level maths topics queries.

Hi, I'm currently in year 11 but I have finished my GCSE maths so I've started looking at some A-level maths this year in preparation for next year.

I'm planning on taking Maths and Further Maths and I thought it would make sense to spend some time getting to grasps with some of the A-level maths syllabus whilst I have a year spare.
I'm just looking for some advice as to what topics I should focus on this year so they are easier next year.
I have looked at binomial expansion, differentiation and some integration but I would like to know what topics people have found/ are finding difficult in AS- level maths so I can familiarise myself.

Thanks in advance :biggrin:
Reply 1
Original post by lucindatownsend
Hi, I'm currently in year 11 but I have finished my GCSE maths so I've started looking at some A-level maths this year in preparation for next year.

I'm planning on taking Maths and Further Maths and I thought it would make sense to spend some time getting to grasps with some of the A-level maths syllabus whilst I have a year spare.
I'm just looking for some advice as to what topics I should focus on this year so they are easier next year.
I have looked at binomial expansion, differentiation and some integration but I would like to know what topics people have found/ are finding difficult in AS- level maths so I can familiarise myself.

Thanks in advance :biggrin:

C1:

-Differentiation - understand relation to the gradient.
-Understand that the gradient of the tangent is m. The gradient of the normal is -1/m.
-Integration (further developed in C2)
-Equation of line y-y1=m(x-x1)
-Transforming graphs
-Surds, rationalising denominators

C2:

-Logarithms
-Binomial expansion
-Trigonometic functions (learn the formulae)
-Further development of differentiation (minima, maxima)
-Further development of integration
(Between limits, area)

FP1:

-Imaginary numbers (linked from C1 surds)
-Matrices
-Newton-Raphson method
-Equation of parabola

These are just some nice topics to develop your interest in maths. However, there is no rush with any of the topics listed here, don't exhaust yourself. Your other GCSEs should be a priority at the moment.

I will be glad to help out with any questions if you get stuck. You may find it useful to look at some C1 past papers and build on from there.

Recommendations:

Www.examsolutions.net
YouTube - Maths247
Khan Academy

Good luck with your studies
Original post by dtwolves
C1:

-Differentiation - understand relation to the gradient.
-Understand that the gradient of the tangent is m. The gradient of the normal is -1/m.
-Integration (further developed in C2)
-Equation of line y-y1=m(x-x1)
-Transforming graphs
-Surds, rationalising denominators

C2:

-Logarithms
-Binomial expansion
-Trigonometic functions (learn the formulae)
-Further development of differentiation (minima, maxima)
-Further development of integration
(Between limits, area)

FP1:

-Imaginary numbers (linked from C1 surds)
-Matrices
-Newton-Raphson method
-Equation of parabola

These are just some nice topics to develop your interest in maths. However, there is no rush with any of the topics listed here, don't exhaust yourself. Your other GCSEs should be a priority at the moment.

I will be glad to help out with any questions if you get stuck. You may find it useful to look at some C1 past papers and build on from there.

Recommendations:

Www.examsolutions.net
YouTube - Maths247
Khan Academy

Good luck with your studies

Thank you very much! I've covered most of the C1 topics you've listed so I'll carry on to look at the C2 stuff :smile: Thanks again!

Are you currently studying A-level maths or have you moved on from A-levels?
Reply 3
Thank you very much! I've covered most of the C1 topics you've listed so I'll carry on to look at the C2 stuff :smile: Thanks again!

Are you currently studying A-level maths or have you moved on from A-levels?

I am currently studying A-Level maths and further maths. It will be very useful to build up your knowledge on the core modules, it will make FP1 a lot easier when the time comes.
I am currently studying A-Level maths and further maths. It will be very useful to build up your knowledge on the core modules, it will make FP1 a lot easier when the time comes.

Okay :smile: that's why I thought to do it! Have you taken Further Maths in year 12 or year 13? Also, what other subjects are you taking for A-levels and what do you plan on doing when you finish?
Reply 5
Okay :smile: that's why I thought to do it! Have you taken Further Maths in year 12 or year 13? Also, what other subjects are you taking for A-levels and what do you plan on doing when you finish?

Yeah it's a good idea, you are in a great position to do well in maths. I am self-teaching further maths in year 12, since they do not offer it at my college.

I am also taking chemistry and business. I plan to study something related to maths, perhaps straight maths or actuarial science.

Have you thought about your options and your plan for the future?
Yeah it's a good idea, you are in a great position to do well in maths. I am self-teaching further maths in year 12, since they do not offer it at my college.

I am also taking chemistry and business. I plan to study something related to maths, perhaps straight maths or actuarial science.

Have you thought about your options and your plan for the future?

For A-level I plan on taking Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry and then I hope to go and do and physics at University.
Reply 7
For A-level I plan on taking Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry and then I hope to go and do and physics at University.

Great subject combination. Good luck! :biggrin:
Great subject combination. Good luck! :biggrin:

Thank you! You too! Where are you planning on going to University?
Reply 9
Thank you! You too! Where are you planning on going to University?

Thanks! I haven't thought about that yet, you?
Thanks! I haven't thought about that yet, you?

I have a few ambitious ideas (Oxford or Imperial) then I've been looking into other ones :smile:
Reply 11
I have a few ambitious ideas (Oxford or Imperial) then I've been looking into other ones :smile:

It's good to be ambitious though, it will push you to do your best.
It's good to be ambitious though, it will push you to do your best.

Yeah, and knowing that I need As and A* to get in will push me more that knowing that I only need Bs and As to get into other unis.
Reply 13
Yeah, and knowing that I need As and A* to get in will push me more that knowing that I only need Bs and As to get into other unis.

Yeah you seem pretty determined, which is good. However, a lot of very smart people don't get into oxbridge, but still attend another excellent uni.

Quick Reply

Latest