The Student Room Group

Have any of you thought about living in America?

(srs)
please respect the srs tag.

How do I live the American dream? Im 17

Scroll to see replies

the american dream? well just need to exploit a couple thousand workers
Reply 2
Buy a farm and tend the rabbits.
Original post by John Stuart Mill
the american dream? well just need to exploit a couple thousand workers
how are u jsm brah, how's ur utalitarianism theory going
Original post by ravishingrick69
how are u jsm brah, how's ur utalitarianism theory going

pretty good yeah been defending the welfare state from those stupid conservatives
Reply 5
there is no american dream, that **** ended decades ago
Original post by H0PEL3SS

come on, george. tell me. please george. like you done before
Yeah OP, pack your bags and go!
Original post by H0PEL3SS

And kill them too...
Reply 8
yes, America has had its growing pains.we are still relatively young.we're trying to learn from mistakes and correct them
Reply 9
Original post by matt_g96
there is no american dream, that **** ended decades ago

believe me it's still alive
No too many guns and idiots wielding them who shoot school children.
Reply 11
What is the American dream exactly?
Reply 12
Nah, too many crazy people, and too many guns, and too many shootings, and too many crazy people with guns doing the shootings... :rolleyes:
Yeah I'd be up for working and living in America for a bit. It's a pretty cool place.

Americans work hard though.

I think people over here underestimate life in America, they think its high wages, low taxes, cheap gasoline, cheap housing, good weather and its a good place to enjoy a pretty cool lifestyle.

It is but you have to work for it. Americans work long hours and they have very little annual leave. I think the average is about 9 days a year. So you'll have a couple of days at Christmas, Thanksgiving and a week vacation in the height of summer. Thats it.

Over here everyone likes to say stuff like "Im a work hard play hard type person" and maybe they have a long hours job but they get decent annual leave and they will be going for ski holidays, long weekends in European cities, plus one or two holidays a year in the sun. Not gonna happen if you're in America, they work hard and work hard. They don't have a culture of going on holidays. Their leisure time is about the weekends, which is why they are big in to sports and stuff.

I like the American attitude, they roll up their sleeves and get on with stuff, but I think a lot of the people over here that say they want to move over to the US, have an idea of a great lifestyle over there that doesn't factor in the fact they will be spending a much larger percentage of their lives at work than we do.
I'm actually being dead srs. I feel like England is the wrong country to live in
Reply 16
I'm actually being dead srs. I feel like England is the wrong country to live in

What don't you like? I'd be pretty happy somewhere new for uni, myself ^_^
Original post by Emily-97
What don't you like? I'd be pretty happy somewhere new for uni, myself ^_^
imo you're not ambitious enough. you need to have BIG goals. live BIG. have goals that scare you, it's the only way you can live with yourself: knowing that you got a ****ty hand and turned it into a winner
Reply 18
Yes, preferably somewhere in California or Arizona
Reply 19
imo you're not ambitious enough. you need to have BIG goals. live BIG. have goals that scare you, it's the only way you can live with yourself: knowing that you got a ****ty hand and turned it into a winner

Believe me, I'm all for what you're saying :smile: What's your BIG life plan then? (I don't mean that aggressively but there's no way of phrasing it in a friendly way aha)

Quick Reply

Latest