The Student Room Group

It was my birthday today and no one cared

I know no one cares I don’t normally do this but I have no one to talk to and just need to vent as I’m feeling kind of down right now. Well anyway it's my 18th birthday today, one birthday I was actually looking forward to as I don't normally look forward to my birthdays as I always seem to be disappointed. But this time I thought it would be different as people ‘encouraged’ me to do something so I decided that we'll go to the cinema to see Paranormal activity since I just thought “hmm why not”.

So I told everyone like 3 days ago the date, time and place and people seemed pretty excited to celebrate 'my' birthday but in the last minute / on the day of my birthday everyone decided to cancel on me for reasons such as 'I don't want to spend money on something I’m not going to enjoy so I’m not coming (“my apparent best friend”)' ' the movies too scary' 'the times are too late for me' ‘I might not have enough money’- 30 minutes later “omgsh guys my online shopping came up to a total of £200 the other day Lol” and I know that some of these are pretty understandable reasons but I just can't help but think that if this was someone else’s birthday e.g. my “best friends” there would be no hesitation in fact I know! That this is the case. As my friend recently had a birthday (the one everyone likes) and no one made any fuse about coming even though it was in the same place, ended at 1:30am in the morning, was a 2 day event, cost a lot of money since we went out to eat at an expensive restaurant. Also my other “friends” birthday is next week from today and cost £30 and everyone is still going regardless.

So in the end 5 people ended up cancelling leaving just me and 2 others which was quite disappointing since I was quite looking forward to spending time with them most of all .So I decided to cancel the whole thing as people were just giving me really dumb excuses such as “might be busy” coincidentally one after the other + these people are suppose to be some of my closest friends at least I thought they were.

But today has just made me realise that I hardly have any true friends, I’m friends with other peoples friends, friends with people by association and I know it kind of seems like I’m exaggerating but it's the truth and this isn’t the 1st time. I also found out later that the reason why everyone started cancelling is because of ‘others’ cancelling and they didn't want to go if these ‘other people’ weren't attending. It’s quite stupid because I actually thought these people were my friends but today confirmed that they only pretended just to get closer to my other friends and don't really give a crap about me at all.(should’ve known I guess:/)
I mean I've experience this before ,I stopped talking to the people who were my (as some may say) 'fake ' friends I just didn't see it coming this time I thought people liked me for me not just for the people I’m friends with.

To add to this, most of my siblings also forgot it was my birthday + all Teachers (as they have a system where they give chocolates when your birthday comes). My Mum and my Dad who don't live with me also forgot it was my birthday (well every year anyway) and basically no one cares. I didn't receive anything I never do on a daily basis (I live with me Auntie - who also forgot and doesn't actually care) but I thought that maybe ,just maybe today will be the day I receive something to help with school and just in general.

I have exams to pay for which is going to be a struggle to get the money for since I live in a very antisocial, bitter household where I’m expected to cover myself financially since no one gives a crap. To be honest I’m just fed up I have no one and I’m not exaggerating ,I just use to act like I don’t care . I have no one, people probably don't care and to be honest I don't blame you but I just want to leave everything and everyone behind and never come back.
I mean this sounds pretty dramatic but I’m actually being very vague I’ve been experiencing neglect and isolation for about 17 years now, just suppressing my feelings acting like I don't care but today , today just pushed it , pushed it too far. I'm tired of having fake friends, I’m tired of having parents who don't care I’m just tired and the worst thing is I care so much I care so much about the people I thought were my friends I bought them birthday presents, I’m a true friend to them but yet nothing back.

This is the last time I ever care about anyone who doesn't deserve it.:frown:

Sorry about the length/grammar /spelling and all I’m just done. If people have any advice on what I should do about my fake friends it’ll be much appreciated.

Nothing rude please as I will just ignore.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Never trust anyone in this world. Except me.
Reply 2
Happy Birthday. Things will get better hopefully :smile:
Wow that's harsh and I'm sorry you was let down disappointed by others.

At least those 2 friends that didn't cancel actually have some respect for you.

There are many birthdays ahead.
Happy Birthday! :smile:
Happy birthday
Happy Birthday :smile: Be Happy :smile:
Reply 7
They aren't your "Friends" if they would ditch you on your birthday. Take my advice and find some more decent people. Also Happy Birthday :biggrin:.
Reply 8
I'm so sorry OP. I hardly ever sympathise with people, but on this occasion, its worthy
Try confronting them.

I cannot see any other cause of action. You tried; they failed.
I'm so sorry to hear that :hugs: :frown: people can be so selfish. Happy Birthday :h:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Wow what dicks. That's ****ing rude.
Happy birthday :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Happy birthday! On my 21st I invited a group of friends and only two of my friends came. That was the best birthday ever! Honestly I thoroughly enjoyed it. Sorry to hear your friends didn't make it but try to make the most of it.
Reply 14
I wish no one cared about my Birthday, I certainly don't care about my own and hate receiving gifts and I don't want or need. It's just another day for me.
Original post by Anonymous
I know no one cares I don’t normally do this but I have no one to talk to and just need to vent as I’m feeling kind of down right now. Well anyway it's my 18th birthday today, one birthday I was actually looking forward to as I don't normally look forward to my birthdays as I always seem to be disappointed. But this time I thought it would be different as people ‘encouraged’ me to do something so I decided that we'll go to the cinema to see Paranormal activity since I just thought “hmm why not”.

So I told everyone like 3 days ago the date, time and place and people seemed pretty excited to celebrate 'my' birthday but in the last minute / on the day of my birthday everyone decided to cancel on me for reasons such as 'I don't want to spend money on something I’m not going to enjoy so I’m not coming (“my apparent best friend”)' ' the movies too scary' 'the times are too late for me' ‘I might not have enough money’- 30 minutes later “omgsh guys my online shopping came up to a total of £200 the other day Lol” and I know that some of these are pretty understandable reasons but I just can't help but think that if this was someone else’s birthday e.g. my “best friends” there would be no hesitation in fact I know! That this is the case. As my friend recently had a birthday (the one everyone likes) and no one made any fuse about coming even though it was in the same place, ended at 1:30am in the morning, was a 2 day event, cost a lot of money since we went out to eat at an expensive restaurant. Also my other “friends” birthday is next week from today and cost £30 and everyone is still going regardless.

So in the end 5 people ended up cancelling leaving just me and 2 others which was quite disappointing since I was quite looking forward to spending time with them most of all .So I decided to cancel the whole thing as people were just giving me really dumb excuses such as “might be busy” coincidentally one after the other + these people are suppose to be some of my closest friends at least I thought they were.

But today has just made me realise that I hardly have any true friends, I’m friends with other peoples friends, friends with people by association and I know it kind of seems like I’m exaggerating but it's the truth and this isn’t the 1st time. I also found out later that the reason why everyone started cancelling is because of ‘others’ cancelling and they didn't want to go if these ‘other people’ weren't attending. It’s quite stupid because I actually thought these people were my friends but today confirmed that they only pretended just to get closer to my other friends and don't really give a crap about me at all.(should’ve known I guess:/)
I mean I've experience this before ,I stopped talking to the people who were my (as some may say) 'fake ' friends I just didn't see it coming this time I thought people liked me for me not just for the people I’m friends with.

To add to this, most of my siblings also forgot it was my birthday + all Teachers (as they have a system where they give chocolates when your birthday comes). My Mum and my Dad who don't live with me also forgot it was my birthday (well every year anyway) and basically no one cares. I didn't receive anything I never do on a daily basis (I live with me Auntie - who also forgot and doesn't actually care) but I thought that maybe ,just maybe today will be the day I receive something to help with school and just in general.

I have exams to pay for which is going to be a struggle to get the money for since I live in a very antisocial, bitter household where I’m expected to cover myself financially since no one gives a crap. To be honest I’m just fed up I have no one and I’m not exaggerating ,I just use to act like I don’t care . I have no one, people probably don't care and to be honest I don't blame you but I just want to leave everything and everyone behind and never come back.
I mean this sounds pretty dramatic but I’m actually being very vague I’ve been experiencing neglect and isolation for about 17 years now, just suppressing my feelings acting like I don't care but today , today just pushed it , pushed it too far. I'm tired of having fake friends, I’m tired of having parents who don't care I’m just tired and the worst thing is I care so much I care so much about the people I thought were my friends I bought them birthday presents, I’m a true friend to them but yet nothing back.

This is the last time I ever care about anyone who doesn't deserve it.:frown:

Sorry about the length/grammar /spelling and all I’m just done. If people have any advice on what I should do about my fake friends it’ll be much appreciated.

Nothing rude please as I will just ignore.

eh i had the exact same issue but i also have social anxiety and paranoia - i decided to bite the bullet and call them all out on their ****ty behaviour towards me

now i have absolutely no friends at school , i can go from when i get into school at 8:30 to when i leave at 3:30 talking to absolutely no one , and i spend every lunchtime alone

i wouldn't change what i did - i want real friends and i don't think i was wrong to want that. also i have loads of friends outside of school and a boyfriend who's my best friend so i wasn't all alone like you

i think you should just try and find friends outside of school instead tbh , reconnect with old friends or something like that

the truth is the large majority of people just don't give a **** about other people and you just have to accept it. if your group have decided not to like you there's nothing you can do.

not very positive sorry but that's my experience - pretty ****e
Reply 16
Happy birthday, not sure what else to say.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk
I've not had a proper gift for the past 3 years on Birthdays and Christmas. Some people have to deal with this! Get on with it good-fellow! You either feel sorry for yourself or you accept what's happened as if you've chosen it yourself.
Reply 18
Well... If it makes you feel better, my parents totally forgot abt my bday as well (was a week ago). Even after calling them over the phone to hint about it (which they fortunately understood) my Dad didn't gift me anything... which is very disappointing cuz I really struggled a lot finding him an appropriate present for his Bday... =P

Anyways.... I think, your idea to watch Paranormal Activity was just lame. Actually watching a movie seems to be very boring idea for celebrating a bday. But that's just my perspective. Happy B'day!
Happy birthday!! I'm sure it'll make you feel a lot better to hear that on my 18th, my bf left me and I am still heart broken (two months on)
I'm pretty sure being ignored is better as everytime I hear the word 'birthday' etc it makes me sad. I'll always remember that my first love broke my heart on my birthday and it's not something to celebrate.

Happy birthday, smile, good luck for the future!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending