Marfyy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi, I have applied to Children's nursing and recieved my offer, and although I have not recieved all my replies yet I know GCU is going to be my insurance choice.
When do I apply for accomodation? Is it straight away after receiving an offer or do you have to accept them first?
Also, as I'm from England I'm having trouble deciphering the funding information. Does anyone who has also applied to any form of NHS funded degree from England have any idea who you apply to for each bit of funding. Is it Student Finance England or SAAS for the tuition fees and the maintenance loan? and do I still apply to the NHS Bursary people instead of a maintenance grant? Or am I totally wrong altogether? Really confused, and scared I'll miss out on something like accommodation or funding... which are pretty damn important when you live a 6-hour drive away
Hobbes.
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi I'm in pretty much the same boat as you. I've applied to GCU for Mental Health Nursing and got my offer too, but not sure if I'm accepting it yet. As far as I know you don't apply for accommodation until you've accepted the offer though.

The funding seems to be really confusing if you're going from England to Scotland. Here's a link to some info though: http://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/Students.aspx

I haven't figured it out yet either haha..
Marfyy
Rep:
?
Yeah, I've figured out accommodation - the uni won't be putting the application form online until May, hence why I can't find anything about it, but technical you could have applied for it whenever :P
as for funding I just don't get it at all! I think I understand that I am entitled to an NHS bursary, full tuition fees paid and then a maintenance loan but I'm not sure who to apply to for the fees and loan
I'm just hoping someone at my sixth form has gone through the same issues since 2012 entry and the application lady knows what she is doing! :/
Hobbes.
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
As far as I know, you should be eligible for full tuition fees paid and an NHS bursary of roughly £6000 a year (not sure exactly). You can probably get a loan on top of that from Student Finance which will be based on household income (I think). I don't think you can get a grant alongside the bursary though. And I think the bursary and tuition fees are done through SAAS.

Though i'm not certain on any of that haha, but I don't think we have to apply until April at the earliest.
R0ry
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I went to an applicant day in Stirling on Monday and they said that you apply through SAAS for bursaries and as far as I'm aware the NHS pay tuition fees as well. Hope this helps in some way... I applied for Mental Health Nursing at GCU, but haven't got a response yet *crosses fingers* I'm from England too by the way
Marfyy
Rep:
?
So you think SAAS for bursary and loan, and NHS for tuition fees? That seems like it makes sense...
hazelg
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Marfyy can I ask when you sent your ucas form? Have applied for childrens nursing at gcu too and the waiting is driving me crazy!
Marfyy
Rep:
?
(Original post by hazelg)
Marfyy can I ask when you sent your ucas form? Have applied for childrens nursing at gcu too and the waiting is driving me crazy!
Can't remember when but I think it was late September/early October... I had a lot of friends applying to early deadline courses so I felt pressured to get mine in early too!
I didn't get my automatic reply from GCU for at least another month after that, if not longer.
I wouldn't worry as the general reply said that even for interview courses you could still be waiting until April for a reply.
My offer doesn't require an interview either so that made it quicker as well!
hazelg
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Marfyy)
Can't remember when but I think it was late September/early October... I had a lot of friends applying to early deadline courses so I felt pressured to get mine in early too!
I didn't get my automatic reply from GCU for at least another month after that, if not longer.
I wouldn't worry as the general reply said that even for interview courses you could still be waiting until April for a reply.
My offer doesn't require an interview either so that made it quicker as well!
Thanks, I feel a bit better then cos I sent mine just before the deadline, so still early days, just nerve wracking. It's my only option as the only place that does the course where I can commute to, am a mature student with hubby & two girls so no chance of applying elsewhere.
Marfyy
Rep:
?
Yeah nightmare! I wouldn't worry too much in that case though because they were my slowest out of all five in getting even the automatic back.
I think a lot of unis look at mature students with a greater regard than straight out of college applicants so I wouldn't worry too much- I seem to remember that this one and York also both saying that there isn't any bias on when you submit your application as long as it comes in before the deadline which you did!
Good luck though! Maybe I'll see you there!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you attending a Global Climate Strike?

Yes, I'm striking (39)
7.6%
No, but I wanted to/I support the cause (299)
58.28%
No (175)
34.11%

Watched Threads