The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1180
Original post by Cannotbelieveit
What a nice thing to say about your club's own player...

Oh, ok. Then why are Lukaku and Sturridge, two clearly better players not at our club?

Because he's there. It's clear that everybody has a Torres fetish, people think just because he's been nice throughout his Chelsea spell it's ok for him to be anonymous in majority of our games in a position we are dependent on him. Yeah, he's a parasite. If he was scoring, RDM wouldn't have been sacked, if he was scoring, AVB wouldn't have been sacked, if he was scoring, Benitez would have done better than get us 3rd and europa league.

Watching the guy mess us over game after game annoys me to death. We've spent over 120m on AMs the past 2-3 seasons, yet we can't buy a good striker. City buy Negredo, they buy Aguero, Liverpool buy Suarez and Sturridge, United buy RVP. Why can't we buy a good striker? Why don't we bother paying money for a top striker or use players who deserve a chance? Because of Torres.

We could have got a top striker last year, we said we'd give Torres a chance. For all I care he can **** off from whence he came. Guy is not good enough and hasn't been for a long time. Why should I stand for it when the club are in a position where they don't need to stand for it?
Reply 1181
Original post by Isometrix
But who will be willing to buy him? And even half his wages would still mean another team pays around 85k a week for him. It's not a viable investment for anyone.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thought he was on 150k? But anyway we can find a suitor if we want to. We tell him he's not wanted anymore/don't play him and we sell him, worked for Adebayor and he gets payed 100k a week by Spurs. Robinho got bought by AC Milan. If we wanted to sell Torres, we would have. Or we can do what City did with Santa Cruz.

If we're willing to get rid of Michael Essien for free, we can get rid of Torres if we want to.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1182
Original post by Fizzel
Can't help feeling a long term injury to Cech in the dying games of the season could be a massive blessing in disguise for you guys. Its would be a bit like the Lindegaard-De Gea situation, De Gea just needed him out of the frame for long enough to get settled then he locked the place down.

Sigh. It's a matter of balancing loyalty to a club favourite like Cech, to keeping the best goalkeeper of his generation in Courtois.

I know which one I'd pick. Unfortunately doubt Mou would agree!

As long as he's serious about staying for the next 10 years, I'll be happy.
Reply 1183
Original post by Yawn-er
Sigh. It's a matter of balancing loyalty to a club favourite like Cech, to keeping the best goalkeeper of his generation in Courtois.

I know which one I'd pick. Unfortunately doubt Mou would agree!

As long as he's serious about staying for the next 10 years, I'll be happy.

This, although I have a feeling due to FFP, he might look for the now, sell Courtois and use that 20 or so million to generate funds for another player.
Reply 1184
Original post by Squidgyness
Didier really say that?

I'm sorry, that was terrible... :getmecoat:
Yeah, we need someone to replace him. Perhaps this guy from Atletico, although he may Costa lot... :ahee:
Original post by bammy jastard 27
Oh, ok. Then why are Lukaku and Sturridge, two clearly better players not at our club?

Because he's there. It's clear that everybody has a Torres fetish, people think just because he's been nice throughout his Chelsea spell it's ok for him to be anonymous in majority of our games in a position we are dependent on him. Yeah, he's a parasite. If he was scoring, RDM wouldn't have been sacked, if he was scoring, AVB wouldn't have been sacked, if he was scoring, Benitez would have done better than get us 3rd and europa league.

Watching the guy mess us over game after game annoys me to death. We've spent over 120m on AMs the past 2-3 seasons, yet we can't buy a good striker. City buy Negredo, they buy Aguero, Liverpool buy Suarez and Sturridge, United buy RVP. Why can't we buy a good striker? Why don't we bother paying money for a top striker or use players who deserve a chance? Because of Torres.

We could have got a top striker last year, we said we'd give Torres a chance. For all I care he can **** off from whence he came. Guy is not good enough and hasn't been for a long time. Why should I stand for it when the club are in a position where they don't need to stand for it?

I'll be the first one to admit that Torres hasn't done well enough for us over the past three years, but if there's one thing I hate, it's fans personally attacking players from their own club. I ****ing despise it.

Say what you want about Torres on the pitch, but off the pitch he hasn't put a foot wrong and has remained professional throughout, and because of that he doesn't deserve to be attacked or labelled a 'parasite'.
Reply 1186
I'll be the first one to admit that Torres hasn't done well enough for us over the past three years, but if there's one thing I hate, it's fans personally attacking players from their own club. I ****ing despise it.

Say what you want about Torres on the pitch, but off the pitch he hasn't put a foot wrong and has remained professional throughout, and because of that he doesn't deserve to be attacked or labelled a 'parasite'.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18139581

Course he hasn't done anything wrong off the pitch. :rolleyes:
I'm sure most people were pissed off when he was complaining about himself not starting, despite himself being terrible the whole of that season. Off the pitch he was complaining about not getting enough game time. We give him a chance(at the expense of two strikers as well) and he doesn't do anything, he realises now that he's not good enough at least.

Plus anyway, why should a guy who's not good enough be playing week in week out, should we be supporting him when he's not supporting us with his largely underwhelming performance. I understand it's hard being a professional footballer, but he's 50m we've wasted and we're still struggling because of him, despite us easily being able to rectify the situation.
(edited 10 years ago)
What a nice thing to say about your club's own player...

Parasite is a useful description here, someone who feeds off and weakens the host and contributes nothing in return. Not even an insult, just sums his career at CFC up.
Reply 1188
'Sky sources understand that Chelsea are set to become the biggest spenders in the transfer window so far, with St Etienne centre-back Kurt Zouma poised to sign for the Stamford Bridge club, although the talented teenager will be loaned back to the Ligue 1 side for the remainder of the season'

Just came up on Sky guys.
Seeing as my dream pairing of Mangala/Omeruo will not happen now, I now hope for Zouma/Omeruo in the future...
talented 19 year old joins Chelsea hoping to make a breakthrough to the first team. Seems legit.
Lol, Torres effectively cost 3 managers their jobs.
Not really, Lukaku finished the season with a hattrick vs united e.g. and got a goal vs liverpool at anfield in the second half of the season. In fact he started the season a bit weird, then picked up form after the odemwingie case as he got more gametime and ended the season in amazing form.

Didn't he basically pick up again after he was dropped from the starting 11 and was mostly playing the last 30 minutes or so (after which he broke back into starting)? I know he started slow, as would be expected from any young striker, but I'm certain that he went off the boil for a while after a run of good form in much the same way as he has this season. The only difference being that his 'good form' this season was even better.
Reply 1193
Original post by heyimbored
Didn't he basically pick up again after he was dropped from the starting 11 and was mostly playing the last 30 minutes or so (after which he broke back into starting)? I know he started slow, as would be expected from any young striker, but I'm certain that he went off the boil for a while after a run of good form in much the same way as he has this season. The only difference being that his 'good form' this season was even better.

I'm sure that originally he just started as a super sub for West Brom. I remember him playing into the first 11 after Odemwingie did that nonsense.

I thought he started that season fairly dodgy tbh, then he became a boss around the second half. He got a couple good goals, think he got a goal vs pool when they lost 3-0 at the start of the season. Remember him not being too amazing at first though. Think it's the other way round now. But Everton are losing steam, think he'll come back from injury before end of the season and be back in form.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18139581

Course he hasn't done anything wrong off the pitch. :rolleyes:
I'm sure most people were pissed off when he was complaining about himself not starting, despite himself being terrible the whole of that season. Off the pitch he was complaining about not getting enough game time. We give him a chance(at the expense of two strikers as well) and he doesn't do anything, he realises now that he's not good enough at least.

Plus anyway, why should a guy who's not good enough be playing week in week out, should we be supporting him when he's not supporting us with his largely underwhelming performance. I understand it's hard being a professional footballer, but he's 50m we've wasted and we're still struggling because of him, despite us easily being able to rectify the situation.

Rest of the interview:

"Now I do feel like football is worth it but I've been through a difficult time. The worst in my career. I don't want that again. There's been many times when I've felt lost, I wasn't sure what to do. I felt like I didn't know where I belonged.

"I'm eternally grateful to my family who have been by my side and also for the support of the owners who have stuck by me.

"And especially to the fans, if it hadn't been for them this season I would have given up."
Reply 1195
Original post by Isometrix
Rest of the interview:

Yes, that's great, I was one of those fans that supported him through that time in fact. He has the confidence of a depressive, but I understand that football is a career, in a career there are times you are in a rut, no matter how small it is(see Nasri under mancini and Nasri this season) I've been in a rut before and I know it sucks.

But when you support somebody, you expect them to do something back for you, it's a simple fact. You don't go giving away free support. In football as with every job you need to be ruthless. If you fail a module in uni, they and your friends not going to give you a free pass and give you a first or give you all the answers in an exam, you have to retake that exam or do better in the next module or they'll kick you out. Same thing with Torres and he's past that point. If you use up all your money, your parents aren't always going to give you a wad of cash if they can't afford it.

We gave him faith, he hasn't repaid it. I'd never boo my own player in a match(doesn't help) but I will criticize the hell out of a player who's not good enough.
(edited 10 years ago)

1:00 ahahah
(edited 10 years ago)
I'm sure that originally he just started as a super sub for West Brom. I remember him playing into the first 11 after Odemwingie did that nonsense.

I thought he started that season fairly dodgy tbh, then he became a boss around the second half. He got a couple good goals, think he got a goal vs pool when they lost 3-0 at the start of the season. Remember him not being too amazing at first though. Think it's the other way round now. But Everton are losing steam, think he'll come back from injury before end of the season and be back in form.

Yeah, he struggled to get into it during his first couple of months; showed a lot of ability, but was ridiculously raw and a bit wild. He was really inconsistent, but improved rapidly, eventually working his way into a starting place for a couple of months. He dropped off a bit later though, and didn't start every week, and after a little while he managed to pick it up a bit in the closing stages of the season. I remember specifically because I managed to spot his rise and stick him in my fantasy team for a decent points haul, but kept faith in him way too long and ended up taking him out for the last few games where he did better :tongue:

I don't know if it is to do with the effort that he puts in, but he does run himself completely ragged, so it would be interesting to see what he'd be like if he were given a few weeks off again. He just needs to learn to manage his energy effectively if that's the case; kind of reminds me of Rooney in his early career in a way.

Yes, that's great, I was one of those fans that supported him through that time in fact. He has the confidence of a depressive, but I understand that football is a career, in a career there are times you are in a rut, no matter how small it is(see Nasri under mancini and Nasri this season) I've been in a rut before and I know it sucks.

But when you support somebody, you expect them to do something back for you, it's a simple fact. You don't go giving away free support. In football as with every job you need to be ruthless. If you fail a module in uni, they and your friends not going to give you a free pass and give you a first or give you all the answers in an exam, you have to retake that exam or do better in the next module or they'll kick you out. Same thing with Torres and he's past that point. If you use up all your money, your parents aren't always going to give you a wad of cash if they can't afford it.

We gave him faith, he hasn't repaid it. I'd never boo my own player in a match(doesn't help) but I will criticize the hell out of a player who's not good enough.

I have to say, I don't really know what you expect from him. He's had a lot of support from Chelsea fans (although also a lot of stick), and he's worked incredibly hard. His game at Liverpool was just based so heavily on his pace, which he doesn't have to the same level anymore after that period of injury at Liverpool. He's tried to adapt his game to be more physical (compare his size now to when he was at Liverpool), but he hasn't been able to reach the heights he was at before. He was never going to be worth £50m, he was clearly in a steep decline when you bought him; he works hard for the team, and never gives up though, so even if he has let his head drop from time to time, you can't really say he's not been paying the support back.
Reply 1199
Original post by heyimbored
I have to say, I don't really know what you expect from him. He's had a lot of support from Chelsea fans (although also a lot of stick), and he's worked incredibly hard. His game at Liverpool was just based so heavily on his pace, which he doesn't have to the same level anymore after that period of injury at Liverpool. He's tried to adapt his game to be more physical (compare his size now to when he was at Liverpool), but he hasn't been able to reach the heights he was at before. He was never going to be worth £50m, he was clearly in a steep decline when you bought him; he works hard for the team, and never gives up though, so even if he has let his head drop from time to time, you can't really say he's not been paying the support back.

No doubt I agree with most of what you're saying but I disagree with paying the support back. I still remember him playing like he wasn't arsed in the 11-12 season and that time under benitez where he was extremely poor. We still played him and he hasn't repayed it. Now under Mourinho he's been better and steady, but it's still not good enough.

Clear matter of fact is that he's not good enough, it's adapt or die. I don't get how City can have 4 quality strikers and we have none because of an intense misuse of the strikers we do have. You can't say that we couldn't have bought Aguero, or we couldn't have bought Negredo. It's a pisstake tbh that we misused sturridge, misusing Ba and have misused Lukaku. Why are we still playing Torres?

Latest