The Student Room Group

Girls: what kind of gift would you prefer to receive on Valentine's day?

Poll

What type of Valentine's day gift would you be most pleased to receive?

With Valentine's day coming up next month I'm thinking about what I should get for my girlfriend. So with that in mind, I thought I'd do a quick TSR poll to get a general sense of what kind of gift girls prefer to receive. I'm not looking for specific ideas, just the general category of gift that's most popular.

Scroll to see replies

I don't really do the whole cutesy thing that surrounds Valentine's Day. I don't get why girls 'expect' flowers and chocolate and all of that ****.
Reply 2
Original post by Holby_fanatic
I don't really do the whole cutesy thing that surrounds Valentine's Day. I don't get why girls 'expect' flowers and chocolate and all of that ****.

Well I'm not gonna take the risk of getting nothing, not when it could mean that I end up getting nothing for about month as a result!
Original post by Futility
Well I'm not gonna take the risk of getting nothing, not when it could mean that I end up getting nothing for about month as a result!

Hahahaha! I guess... Don't do gift vouchers though. I imagine she'd think they're rather impersonal.
Reply 4
Original post by Holby_fanatic
Because it's what the media and mainstrea society feed to us?
Reply 5
Original post by Futility

:biggrin: And they say romance is dead lol
I'd say flowers are always a great option, and maybe chocolate unless they have a New Year's resolution to eat healthily etc. If you've been together for a while a nice piece of jewellry would be lovely but not necessary at all. I would stay away from clothes (very hard to choose the right thing that she'll like) and gift vouchers (quite impersonal and not really appropriate for Valentine's day) personally. Hope that helped!
Reply 7
Don't get clothes or gift vouchers. You can't really go wrong with chocolates and flowers, and maybe a piece of jewellery? Or perfume even? Treat her to a nice meal? It doesn't need to be overly expensive.
I really wouldn't appreciate flowers/chocolate/bears that say I love you. It's just too easy, boring and not me. a meal would be better or something else we could do together

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by Precious Illusions
Don't get clothes or gift vouchers. You can't really go wrong with chocolates and flowers, and maybe a piece of jewellery? Or perfume even? Treat her to a nice meal? It doesn't need to be overly expensive.

Oh yeah I forgot about perfume. Her current perfume gives me a headache, so this might be a good opportunity to subtlely encourage a change. :sly: Thanks. :smile:
teddies are cute too, your gf can cuddle it and think of you :love:
Not a massive fan of valentine's day, but it can be fun I suppose.

I prefer them to make me something (art, meal etc.) or take me out somewhere. Something personal that I'd remember.
Out of your options I'd go with jewelery, though everything seems a little cliched.
In the end it all depends on the girl.
Reply 12
Never got valentines day. I mean, why wait for for one day? Just show your partner that you love them everyday.
Reply 13
Original post by silvershadows
Not a massive fan of valentine's day, but it can be fun I suppose.

I prefer them to make me something (art, meal etc.) or take me out somewhere. Something personal that I'd remember.
Out of your options I'd go with jewelery, though everything seems a little cliched.
In the end it all depends on the girl.

I guess they are kind of cliched, but I think they're cliches for a reason i.e. those are the kinds of things girls typically want.

I'd be worried that if I just made something for my gf by hand she either think it was a joke and be disappointed when she discovered it wasn't, or she'd think I was too cheap/I don't care about her enough to get her a proper gift.
Reply 14
A giant microbe plush.
I think its a nice excuse to go out for a meal with my BF, I'm paying this year and I always love flowers but mainly i just like the excuse for another date :') I don't like soppy soppy romance
Original post by carehow
A giant microbe plush.

Love those things
Reply 17
Original post by Starrydog
Love those things

I have hinted strongly to my boyfriend for one this Feb. Let's hope TB comes my way.
A boyfriend...
**** valentine's day

last year I went all out, flowers, chocolates, her favourite type of wine, rose petals around the room, Tiffany's necklace.. she broke up with me on the 14th before I could even show her any of this.. ****loads of time and money down the drain.. although i did end up necking the wine that night which wasn't bad

Quick Reply