The Student Room Group

Enzymes: Transition state stabilisation + free energy?

I'm probably missing a fundamental principle but here's my problem:

So I'm studying acid-base catalysis, covalent catalysis etc. I know that they work by stabilizing the transition state by reducing charge build up e.g. O- atom on a molecule can be stabilized by proton donation.

This apparently lowers the free energy of the transition state - but why? Why does this lower the free energy of activation? Just because it's an unstable molecule, so stabilizing it is more energetically favourable? Although I don''t really understand why it's energetically favourable...

Maybe someone could point me in the direction of a topic I should read to understand this?
Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending