University transfer after a foundation year Watch

JimmyJingles
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I'm studying my foundation year at the University of Nottingham in Medical Physiology and Therapeutics. The university isn't all I wanted it to be, so I want to transfer to the University of Lincoln to study Biomedical science.
The problem is, my previous qualifications aren't great - my GCSE's are fine but I have MPP in a sport and exercise science BTEC.

Does anyone have experience in / know whether I can transfer on my foundation year grades alone? Or will my BTEC results not matching the entry requirements cause me to get rejected?
JimmyJingles
Rep:
?
I've already emailed a few uni's, and got back the standard "we will consider your UCAS application".
But I didn't mention the grade I got in my BTEC, only that I studied it
Origami Bullets
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
They will normally take account of your foundation grades.

However, I would urge you to consider what it is that you dislike about Nottingham, and whether things will actually be any better at Lincoln. After all, Nottingham is a far better uni than Lincoln.

Posted from TSR Mobile
JimmyJingles
Rep:
?
(Original post by Origami Bullets)
They will normally take account of your foundation grades.

However, I would urge you to consider what it is that you dislike about Nottingham, and whether things will actually be any better at Lincoln. After all, Nottingham is a far better uni than Lincoln.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thankyou so much for replying, it feels so good speaking to someone about this!
So my poor BTEC grades won't inhibit my transfer? It's mainly the fact that I need to get up at 6am for a bus into Derbyshire every day - I'm not really living the student life. But I will definitely consider the pros and cons heavily before a decision is made (if I get accepted)
Origami Bullets
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by JimmyJingles)
Thankyou so much for replying, it feels so good speaking to someone about this!
So my poor BTEC grades won't inhibit my transfer? It's mainly the fact that I need to get up at 6am for a bus into Derbyshire every day - I'm not really living the student life. But I will definitely consider the pros and cons heavily before a decision is made (if I get accepted)
Your poor BTEC grades may inhibit you, but as yours isn't a standard application, we can't make any pronouncements about how likely it is that they'd take you.

However, I think that by far the best option for you will be to go into halls. There is a vast difference in how Lincoln and Nottingham are perceived by employers (Lincoln is really quite crap), and you will be better off at Nottingham from that point of view. Plus, I'm willing to bet that once you take into account how much you're spending on travel, it wouldn't be that much more expensive to go into halls - it could even work out cheaper, and you'd get the student life that you clearly want too. If you ask Nottingham, they may even have spaces in halls now, which would also solve your problem much faster than applying to Lincoln would.
JimmyJingles
Rep:
?
(Original post by Origami Bullets)
Your poor BTEC grades may inhibit you, but as yours isn't a standard application, we can't make any pronouncements about how likely it is that they'd take you.

However, I think that by far the best option for you will be to go into halls. There is a vast difference in how Lincoln and Nottingham are perceived by employers (Lincoln is really quite crap), and you will be better off at Nottingham from that point of view. Plus, I'm willing to bet that once you take into account how much you're spending on travel, it wouldn't be that much more expensive to go into halls - it could even work out cheaper, and you'd get the student life that you clearly want too. If you ask Nottingham, they may even have spaces in halls now, which would also solve your problem much faster than applying to Lincoln would.
I see, I didn't realise that.

Unfortunately I am living in halls, it's the course that requires me to travel to Derbyshire everyday. I've looked at living in halls over there, but there isn't much to do in Derbyshire so it would require dropping any societies I've joined and paying an arm and a leg for a night out in Nottingham.
Origami Bullets
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by JimmyJingles)
I see, I didn't realise that.

Unfortunately I am living in halls, it's the course that requires me to travel to Derbyshire everyday. I've looked at living in halls over there, but there isn't much to do in Derbyshire so it would require dropping any societies I've joined and paying an arm and a leg for a night out in Nottingham.
Blimey that's unusual (and it sucks). You do have my sympathy! Will you always have to go that distance, or is it just for foundation year?

Depending on the reason for the travel, you might like to go to your academic advisor and tell them how it's affecting you, and see if they can do anything about it / advise you of any better options.

If there really is no escape from Derbyshire and you do want to transfer, I would suggest putting down a range of universities - Nottingham is an excellent uni and you don't really want to have to drop as far as Lincoln if you don't have to.

Posted from TSR Mobile
DrT_Admissions
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi, since you are already one of our students, maybe you could drop by my office and talk to me at some point over the next few weeks? There are several options open to you, including moving halls (a 6am start sounds a little early to me and moving to another hall may well help). After the Foundation year most students will move to private rented accommodation in any case. If you do still want to transfer to Lincoln I can help you, but you need to act before the 15th to endure equal consideration of your UCAS application.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Fri, 22 Mar '19
  • Birmingham City University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (95)
16.73%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (60)
10.56%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (100)
17.61%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (85)
14.96%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (57)
10.04%
How can I be the best version of myself? (171)
30.11%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise