who says society cannot become racist again? Watch

arbor-rexusdesi
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Is it normal to society become racist again?

who says it would be a "bad" thing?
Ggmu!
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Me, cause I'd probably be targeted

And if you've been on the receiving end, you'll know it's really horrible and demoralising.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Meyrin
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
White privilege, yo.
StretfordEnd
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
...again?

Just because society is less racist than it used to be does not make it non-racist.
Jem12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by arbor-rexusdesi)
Is it normal to society become racist again?

who says it would be a "bad" thing?
Were you born yesterday? There are laws, legislation and you could be prosecuted.
ColdColourStitch
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
As has been explained, this title implies society doesn't hold racist tendencies now. Just because society doesn't see lynching people and beating them senseless doesn't mean society believes in equality.

Racial profiling in stop-search powers is a clear example of how race still plays a part. You could even argue that the statistics used to generate claims such as 'black people are more likely to commit crime' is an element of racial profiling because they often don't consider why those statistics exist. Hell, even 'trivial' considerations such as jokes have sparked debate about societies racist tendencies as people often try to deny their effects by stating that it wasn't there intention.
Are you Shaw?
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Jem12)
Were you born yesterday? There are laws, legislation and you could be prosecuted.
racism still exists and if legislation was removed i'm willing to be would be on the increase.
Picnic1
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It can be very natural for people, particularly those who have not travelled abroad very much, to feel alienated by a larger amount of people from other cultures becoming part of their culture. Especially if it is accompanied by governmental lies / patronising about 'ALL' immigration necessarily being an intrinsic good at all points of history in a society.

As a British person I wouldn't turn up in America and necessarily expect the same kind of hospitality that they might extend to long term natives. I shouldn't expect it. If they did, it would say more about their good nature than it would about my intrinsic qualities or those of my home country.

What settles is not so easily displaced as it might have been to start with. To displace it you'd have to displace a lot of goodwill to the history of what that people have provided to the country that they've settled in.

But I can totally see the point of people in poorer areas having new neighbours who are not neighbours deemed to be bringing some new sense of prosperity to the area but neighbours from acknowledgedly poorer countries, who have not had a similar early upbringing or, necessarily, interests.
It's hard and they may wonder why their humble area has been deemed more appropriate as the world's social project than a richer area.

Meanwhile the allegedly well meaning, Daily Mail-hating, liberals tend to live in all white areas.
Retro Soul
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I was not aware society was no longer racist.
Remove race legislation and the "No Blacks,Irish,Dogs" would be back up proudly in many commercial establishments.
Racism-Discrimination now takes form in a more insidious nature.
It can be played out in the education system,the nhs,the mental health system where Black people are more likely to be diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia which implies 'danger,violence,etc' to the masses.
Black and smaller percentage of Asians more likely to be juiced up with anti-psychotic drugs while White counterparts are more likely to be offered talking therapy.
'Contain' being the word for the first group, 'Help' being the word for the second group.
A study was conducted in the State's that saw both Black and White psychiatrists labelled Black Males are more violently disordered.
Case studies: psychiatrists were provided with examples of patients exhibiting certain behaviours,when the race not known,both sets given same diagnosis,however when race known,Black individual given more 'serious' diagnosis.
Racism has never gone away just takes a different form,a form facilitated by the establishment.

It is what it is!
Three Mile Sprint
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Are you Shaw?)
racism still exists and if legislation was removed i'm willing to be would be on the increase.
I would agree, the legislation does nothing more but cow the majority into being to afraid to express there opinions and natural predispositions.
Phoenix Silver
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Society never stopped being racist, at least not where I'm from anyway. Everyday I see culturally diverse people attacked verbally and, in extreme cases, physically. It's because of fear and misunderstanding and frankly anyone who's racist needs to think about this: if we were all the same skin colour/religion would the world really be a better place?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (109)
17.3%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (68)
10.79%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (110)
17.46%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (92)
14.6%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (63)
10%
How can I be the best version of myself? (188)
29.84%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed