julietoh
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi, I'm a student in Year 12, hoping to study Geography (BA or MA) at university. I was just wondering if 7 A's (Geography, English Language, English Literature, Religious Studies, Mathematics, French, Art) and 3 B's (Biology, Chemistry and Physics) at GCSE would disadvantage me when applying to St. Andrews? I'm expecting 4 A's at AS Level or at least 3 A's and a B. I'm studying Geography, English, Politics and Religious Studies at the moment.
Thanks!
username941859
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It would be BSc Geography, not BA, or MA Geography

Yeah, it might be a bit of a challenge with no A*s at GCSE. Maybe apply for Sustainable Development, as it's supposedly easier to get in, and pick up geography as a module when you get there, and swap your degree to it.
(Original post by julietoh)
Hi, I'm a student in Year 12, hoping to study Geography (BA or MA) at university. I was just wondering if 7 A's (Geography, English Language, English Literature, Religious Studies, Mathematics, French, Art) and 3 B's (Biology, Chemistry and Physics) at GCSE would disadvantage me when applying to St. Andrews? I'm expecting 4 A's at AS Level or at least 3 A's and a B. I'm studying Geography, English, Politics and Religious Studies at the moment.
Thanks!
julietoh
Rep:
?
Thanks why BSc? I thought the university offered both.

(Original post by Calllu-m)
It would be BSc Geography, not BA, or MA Geography

Yeah, it might be a bit of a challenge with no A*s at GCSE. Maybe apply for Sustainable Development, as it's supposedly easier to get in, and pick up geography as a module when you get there, and swap your degree to it.
username941859
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Thanks why BSc? I thought the university offered both.
No, we offer BSc or MA. MA isn't a real masters though, it's a Scottish MA
julietoh
Rep:
?
Thank you. Does the course still involve human geography do you know? And also, do you think there is any point applying if everything else in my application is strong?
Thank you so much again

No, we offer BSc or MA. MA isn't a real masters though, it's a Scottish MA
username941859
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Thank you. Does the course still involve human geography do you know? And also, do you think there is any point applying if everything else in my application is strong?
Thank you so much again
Both courses involve human geography, but in honours BSc is more physical related and MA is more human related. Yah you might as well apply, my GCSEs were "subpar" (4A*s (two were a BTEC) 6As and a B) and I got an offer
julietoh
Rep:
?
Can I ask what subject you applied for? And what AS levels you got? Thank you

Both courses involve human geography, but in honours BSc is more physical related and MA is more human related. Yah you might as well apply, my GCSEs were "subpar" (4A*s (two were a BTEC) 6As and a B) and I got an offer
username941859
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Can I ask what subject you applied for? And what AS levels you got? Thank you
I applied for Arabic and history last year. I didn't do A levels, I did the IB, was predicted 36, which was the entry requirement, got an offer of 36, and got in with 39
julietoh
Rep:
?
Oh okay, that sounds very interesting, must be a competitive course! Do you know anyone who got similar GCSEs as me?

I applied for Arabic and history last year. I didn't do A levels, I did the IB, was predicted 36, which was the entry requirement, got an offer of 36, and got in with 39
username941859
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Oh okay, that sounds very interesting, must be a competitive course! Do you know anyone who got similar GCSEs as me?
History is supposedly 10 applicants per place.

Can't say I do, most folk have A*s. if you get straight As at AS, that should make up for it.
julietoh
Rep:
?
Great. Thank you so much for helping!

History is supposedly 10 applicants per place.

Can't say I do, most folk have A*s. if you get straight As at AS, that should make up for it.
bramley
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I got exactly the same GCSEs as you and I got in for history, so yes you do have a chance .
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (274)
61.02%
Yes- I don't like it (22)
4.9%
No- I want it (120)
26.73%
No- I don't want it (33)
7.35%

Watched Threads