The Student Room Group

Your near misses?

I've been driving for 2 months now and have near missed 3 times so far.

First time was at rush hour 5pm and it was dark, I was crossing the road when all of sudden a little kid appears out of nowhere in the middle of the road, I forgot to slam my brakes but the kid swerved and kept on running like nothing, I then got out to check and he ran off. :angry: I was only going 5mph, thank god for that. Lesson learnt to use brakes and will try to prevent driving at rush hour again.

Secondly I was going uphill in a narrow street and there was a taxi coming down, I thought he would give me way as it's the norm to give way for cars going uphill, so I got in the middle to pass the cars on the side and at the same time the taxi c*nt came in middle causing me to brake and stall. I honked at him and rolled my window down swearing at him, he looked at me as if he's seen a ghost and drove off. Ever since I hate taxi drivers, I also realized they never indicate and try to squeeze in the lane and cause obstruction.

Third which happened today was my fault, I was going straight the road and decided to do a U turn, so moved to left without indicating and then steered to right without looking from behind, and there was a car coming, I was like in the middle of the road, so both of slammed brakes at the same time and I looked at him and he was just like normal, he just smiled as if it's okay and let me complete my manoeuvre.

What are your silly mistakes that almost caused you crash?
They all seem like it was your fault lol
Reply 2
Original post by h4mza
I've been driving for 2 months now and have near missed 3 times so far.

First time was at rush hour 5pm and it was dark, I was crossing the road when all of sudden a little kid appears out of nowhere in the middle of the road, I forgot to slam my brakes but the kid swerved and kept on running like nothing, I then got out to check and he ran off. :angry: I was only going 5mph, thank god for that. Lesson learnt to use brakes and will try to prevent driving at rush hour again.

Secondly I was going uphill in a narrow street and there was a taxi coming down, I thought he would give me way as it's the norm to give way for cars going uphill, so I got in the middle to pass the cars on the side and at the same time the taxi c*nt came in middle causing me to brake and stall. I honked at him and rolled my window down swearing at him, he looked at me as if he's seen a ghost and drove off. Ever since I hate taxi drivers, I also realized they never indicate and try to squeeze in the lane and cause obstruction.

Third which happened today was my fault, I was going straight the road and decided to do a U turn, so moved to left without indicating and then steered to right without looking from behind, and there was a car coming, I was like in the middle of the road, so both of slammed brakes at the same time and I looked at him and he was just like normal, he just smiled as if it's okay and let me complete my manoeuvre.

What are your silly mistakes that almost caused you crash?

Since when was this the case?
Was going ~70 down an industrial estate and some clown pulls out on me without even looking. Granted, I was doing ~20-30 (I think it might be a 40 road but everyone drives 50 down it because it's a desolate wide industrial estate road, the speed is not outrageous it's just everywhere in my town has absurd speed limits) above the limit so I accept I would have "been at fault". BUT-

I would have hit her driver side on and I watched her come out of the junction LOOKING THE WRONG WAY as she just pulled out in front of me. I saw her go to check the correct side of the road as I went round her (at which point I would have already smashed into the side of her).

She was doing the "Look I'm a bad driver" thing of looking at the road she was turning onto rather than the road she was crossing. As a result she wouldn't have seen me coming at all, irrespective of speed and position, I still would have hit her had I not avoided her. I had to change down & break to reduce my speed enough then come up off the pedals/rev-match to go around her and then change back up. Had there been another car on the opposite side of the road I would have just had to hit her or face a head on with another car.

I now drive down that road slightly slower (I accept I was going a bit too fast) and in the middle of the road so if somebody pulls out I barely have to move the car to either overtake or just move past them. Scared the bejebus out of me & my friend though because I just was not expecting somebody to blindly pull out on me and suddenly appear in the lane.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by UnknownRoyalist
They all seem like it was your fault lol

How would it be my fault if a kid falls from the sky onto my car?
I suggest you take your driving test again, you already have traits of a bad driver.

-no use of brakes
-shouting abuse
-poor use of mirrors

You're a hazard and a accident waiting to happen.
Reply 6
Original post by The Jargen

it is in the Da Highway Code
Original post by h4mza
How would it be my fault if a kid falls from the sky onto my car?

They don't fall from the sky.
I got some advice for you, try driving with your eyes open instead of closed next time, maybe that'll help.
And what's worse is that you say you were driving at 5 mph when this happened which just shows that your reactions are very slow.
Reply 8
Original post by h4mza
I forgot to slam my brakes ... I was only going 5mph, thank god for that.

LOL.

Original post by h4mza
I was going straight the road and decided to do a U turn, so moved to the left without indicating and then steered to the right without looking from behind

Oh dear.

OP, I appreciate your honesty, but perhaps you should be taking more driving lessons.
Reply 9
Original post by The Jargen

Ever read the highway code????
Original post by JC.

Nope and that explains why I didn't know haha. :biggrin:
I have near misses all the time, some my fault, some not. But I've never crashed, except for once which was not my fault.

Near misses are common
Original post by JC.

Yeah, I read it every single night to my kids, makes for a great bedtime story.
Reply 13
Original post by random_duck
Yeah, I read it every single night to my kids, makes for a great bedtime story.

That's nice... but I wasn't talking to you.
Reply 14
Had several idiot yr 7/8's just run out in front of me without looking, cue a long blast from the horn and a lot of shouting. But the worst was a total asshat in a Land Cruiser on the way home for a night out in Exeter. On the roundabout by the Vue Cinema at night this bloody great Land Cruiser shoots onto the roundabout without looking (he has no lights on and has another cars bumper caught round his towbar!!!) and nearly T bones me! We follow him and I get my mate to call the cops as its obvious this guy is pissed up and he shoots straight through a red light and then stops for green light!? He then goes through the green light and as he does a police car with his lights going pulls him. He gets out and he's barely able to stand up!! Scary that some people drive whilst in that state!
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest