miles.harmsworth
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I am trying to get my head around this:

A owes B £1000 in 10 monthly instalments of £100
B has come into financial difficulty and A reduced the amount so B only has to pay 5 instalments of £100.
After paying 5th and last instalment, B wins the lottery.

Can A claim to get the remaining £500 from the total of the original £1000 owed.

My answer: no as promissory estoppel can not be used as to bring action only to defend against it.

Am i right?
Forum User
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
A is not using estoppel as a cause of action in that scenario. He is bringing an action in debt for the original sum.
miles.harmsworth
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by Forum User)
A is not using estoppel as a cause of action in that scenario. He is bringing an action in debt for the original sum.
yeah, but is he allowed to do that, he has already agreed for part payment to satisfy the full debt?
Forum User
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by miles.harmsworth)
yeah, but is he allowed to do that, he has already agreed for part payment to satisfy the full debt?
Read Foakes v Beer and re Selectmove Ltd and you will have your answer
jool
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Forum User)
Read Foakes v Beer and re Selectmove Ltd and you will have your answer

What FU said, Foakes v Beer essentially says that part payment of a debt is never good satisfaction for the whole amount, unless some other consideration is provided - i.e. making payment earlier, making payment at a different location or providing a service. Referring to the earlier Pinnel's Case, 'the gift of a horse, hawk, or robe, in satisfaction is good.'

However, you may be able to state that B could possibly use promissory estoppel to estop A recovering the full amount - see Collier v P&MJ Wright.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (76)
17.84%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (123)
28.87%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (160)
37.56%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (54)
12.68%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (13)
3.05%

Watched Threads