The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Scottish Stereotypes

Hi everyone,
I am seriously considering going to the University of Edinburgh but I have heard a lot of horror stories about how Scottish people are horrible to the English... so I just don't want to end up having a horrible time at uni and away from home, can someone put me straight?

Scroll to see replies

It's *******s. Enjoy.
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 2
Original post by unigal
Hi everyone,
I am seriously considering going to the University of Edinburgh but I have heard a lot of horror stories about how Scottish people are horrible to the English... so I just don't want to end up having a horrible time at uni and away from home, can someone put me straight?

There are pretty much equal numbers of English people and Scots at Edinburgh uni anyway, lol. We aren't horrible to the English, as such, but there is occasionally the odd bit of light-hearted banter.

Posted from TSR Mobile
My English son has had nothing but niceness from the people of Edinburgh and so have we when visiting.
(edited 10 years ago)
I've never seen someone at the uni being nasty to someone on the basis of their Englishness.
I think Willie from the Simpsons does it best GroundskeeperWillie.jpg
Reply 6
oh okay thankyou, I have just heard that some people were really miserable because of it, but if that's a one off then great :smile:
Reply 7
Sorry, but if you've ever had a walk around Edinburgh Uni campus it's like a mini-Surrey; they, for a Scottish university, have a LOT of English students (and I mean A LOT). The university has lots of people from different nationalities (lots of international students too) and I'm almost positive there isn't any prejudiced towards anyone, no matter where they're from. If you do get any prejudice it would be form the city, not the uni students themselves but even then, the city is a really, really friendly place which has lots of English people anyway. Don't worry about that, you'll be fine. I applied to Edinburgh too, good luck man! :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by unigal
Hi everyone,

Just... what? Have you ever met a Scottish a person before? You're not gonna get randomly beaten in the street every night or something.

Silly question.
I love scottish people.
I had a Scottish chemistry teacher for A-Levels and he was by far the funniest and nicest guy ever. I remember our first lesson with him and he did something wrong and goes "oh ****ing hell!" and we all dumbfounded to which he laughed and said "don't look at me like you've never bloody sworn before". It was the first time a teacher has openly sworn in lesson but he was a goddamn brilliant teacher. Nice accent as well! (wasn't very strong) :emog::fyi:
Scottish people aren't nasty to english, but they can be pretty nasty to ignoramuses, so if i were you i'd leave the ignorance at home before you move to edinburgh.
Can they even really tell right away that you are English?
Reply 13
Hi, don't worry about it, my mum is English and teaches Art History there, a good few of her students are foreigners, mainly hailing from the USA and China (to whom we Scots are admittedly nicer than the English) but a lot of English too. Also if you ever consider Glasgow don't be put off by the mountain of horror stories about it too, most of it is just as nice as Edinburgh, there are ****ty bits but the uni tenements are on nice streets.
Reply 14
I hear they are nice, just stay out of bars/pubs so you don't get a drunk one mad. Lolz :smile: good luck
Reply 15
I live in America, but my friends went to Scotland and said that they are cool so long as you are nice. though i've never heard that the Scotts are mean...... well i hear they get in lots of bar fights. mostly they are just known for drinking, smoking and Nessie. Have fun in
Been here for three years. No one cares.
Reply 17
Original post by Vertigo2012
Been here for three years. No one cares.

It's a pretty but very dark city isn't it? The buildings are just so greyish! :eek:
Original post by unigal
Hi everyone,

Did you hear about how the English are horrible to the Scottish?
Original post by sammyb17
I live in America, but my friends went to Scotland and said that they are cool so long as you are nice. though i've never heard that the Scotts are mean...... well i hear they get in lots of bar fights. mostly they are just known for drinking, smoking and Nessie. Have fun in

What the **** is Nessie?

Quick Reply

Latest