The Student Room Group

Computer Science Modules

Hi :smile:

I've recently been made an offer at a university, which would see me (because of restrictions they've placed and the modules I would select) to studying Computer Science modules. However, I have never studied computing before, and have very little experience of programming - next to none. Would this be a problem, or would it be the case that everyone will be taken from the basics up to speed very quickly. I only ask because I know my friends who are applying for computer science have a huge amount of computing experience, which worries me. Thanks in advance.
Reply 1
Some universities do ask for experience (maybe through a course at GCSE or A-Level). You will have to check the entry requirements for the universities you have applied to. Some may ask and some may not, since the first year of university is a recap of what you should have done in that subject at A-Level, this is so everyone in that course is at the same level (not everyone may have done that course or they may have been taught differently to you). Be careful because some universities may ask for interviews as well to get to know you better, and it's usually the more popular courses that do ask for interviews. Hope it helps :smile:
Reply 2
Thanks for the reply. To add some more detail, I have received an offer from a university for natural science. I originally intended to do physics and chemistry, but due to spacing issues I can not do chemistry there. This leaves me with a problem - not having down further maths, I can not do maths modules, so the only other modules I am interested in taking would be computer science.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by messyskull
Some universities do ask for experience (maybe through a course at GCSE or A-Level).

Literally nowhere asks for experience for compsci, they want problem-solving skills and maths.
Reply 4
Original post by Damask-
Literally nowhere asks for experience for compsci, they want problem-solving skills and maths.

Do they have any necessary qualifications that you need to have? For example Maths or Physics at A-level? Also, do you have a GCSE in physics/chemistry at grade B or above?
Reply 5
Yup, entry requirements are fine. I have 4 As at AS, including maths Physics and Chemistry. I know I will be aloud to take the course - it's just whether I would cope with little experience of the subject matter.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by messyskull
Do they have any necessary qualifications that you need to have? For example Maths or Physics at A-level? Also, do you have a GCSE in physics/chemistry at grade B or above?

It depends on where you're looking at! It ranges from an A* at A-Level maths (and ideally further maths, plus another science subjects like physics, computing or chemistry) to not caring as long as you demonstrate reasonable maths skills (B at GCSE, or thereabouts.) Check the individual websites of the universities you're interested in.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending