The Student Room Group

Will I get Permabanned?

Just completed a two week stint in Banned Camp, looking at my 'Community Record', it says I'm currently on 8 Blue cards, 3 Yellow cards & 1 Red card, and I get a clean slate in 77 days. Am I right in thinking that if I get any type of card, even a blue within 77 days, then I'll get a second Red card & receive the fatal Black Card?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Bumpy McBumpington.
Original post by Kilroy8
Just completed a two week stint in Banned Camp, looking at my 'Community Record', it says I'm currently on 8 Blue cards, 3 Yellow cards & 1 Red card, and I get a clean slate in 77 days. Am I right in thinking that if I get any type of card, even a blue within 77 days, then I'll get a second Red card & receive the fatal Black Card?

No, that's not how it works. The cards that have already caused been escalated won't do so again - but don't take that as a reason to break the rules. :wink:
Original post by Illusionary
No, that's not how it works. The cards that have already caused been escalated won't do so again - but don't take that as a reason to break the rules. :wink:

Still quite unsure what you mean. Is it effectively reset then? I'll try to avoid getting cards anyway...
Original post by Kilroy8
Still quite unsure what you mean. Is it effectively reset then? I'll try to avoid getting cards anyway...

No, but considering a generic record that's led to a red card through escalation of blues, based on the threshold as they currently stand:
4 blues -> escalate to yellow #1

Those four blues won't lead to further yellows. Then consider:
4 more blues -> escalate to yellow #2
4 more blues -> escalate to yellow #3

Again, these 12 blues won't lead to a further yellow. The yellows then escalate:
3 yellows -> escalate to red #1

Those three blues won't lead to a further red. However, the red card has not yet escalated, so if further red cards are received then red #1 would count towards escalate.

Does that help?
No, but considering a generic record that's led to a red card through escalation of blues, based on the threshold as they currently stand:
4 blues -> escalate to yellow #1

Those four blues won't lead to further yellows. Then consider:
4 more blues -> escalate to yellow #2
4 more blues -> escalate to yellow #3

Again, these 12 blues won't lead to a further yellow. The yellows then escalate:
3 yellows -> escalate to red #1

Those three blues won't lead to a further red. However, the red card has not yet escalated, so if further red cards are received then red #1 would count towards escalate.

Does that help?

Yeah, I think so. Thanks.
Reply 7
The warning system is so confusing.
Reply 8

Why do cards take so much longer to expire than warning points? Doesn't this just buy into the theory that TSR is looking for more easy excuses to ban members quicker?
Original post by Kiss
Why do cards take so much longer to expire than warning points? Doesn't this just buy into the theory that TSR is looking for more easy excuses to ban members quicker?

The intention there is to reduce the potential for people to 'play the system' and hover near to, but not reach, the point where a ban might be needed. That doesn't mean that we're looking for reasons to ban people, though. :nah:
Reply 10
The intention there is to reduce the potential for people to 'play the system' and hover near to, but not reach, the point where a ban might be needed. That doesn't mean that we're looking for reasons to ban people, though. :nah:

Then why not just increase the warning points for a given offense instead of giving someone a colour which has no sense of proportionate meaning relative to the offense?

1 card could mean 10000000000000000000000000 warnings whilst similarly, 1 card could also mean 10 warnings. The lack of proportionate value circumvents any means of translating equivalency, whilst an increase in number on a much bigger scale from 1-1000 at least gave users a rough idea of what to expect.

The card system is deliberately ambiguous and therefore gives moderators the ability to be as strict as they please, which is not fair.

Either increase the amount of cards or scrap it all together and return to the warning system we were familiar with, this new one just diminishes us all by treating us like children which, considering TSR's aim for a more adult/debate natured forum, has had the opposite effect on both new and old members alike.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Kiss
Then why not just increase the warning points for a given offense instead of giving someone a colour which has no sense of proportionate meaning relative to the offense?

1 card could mean 10000000000000000000000000 warnings whilst similarly, 1 card could also mean 10 warnings. The lack of proportionate value circumvents any means of translating equivalency, whilst an increase in number on a much bigger scale from 1-1000 at least gave users a rough idea of what to expect.

The card system is deliberately ambiguous and therefore gives moderators the ability to be as strict as they please, which is not fair.

Either increase the amount of cards or scrap it all together and return to the warning system we were familiar with, this new one just diminishes us all by treating us like children which, considering TSR's aim for a more adult/debate natured forum, has had the opposite effect on both new and old members alike.

Sorry, but I'm not following you here. One card represents one warning; where an offence is of greater severity, a 'higher' card will be issued.
Reply 12
Original post by Kiss
Either increase the amount of cards

On this point, do you not think that having to get 24 blue cards (assuming all minor issues) at-least before a perm ban is issued is not more than enough? I am just curious as to how many you think would be ideal.
(edited 10 years ago)
You little rebel! :tongue:
Reply 14
Original post by Idle
On this point, do you not think that having to get 24 blue cards (assuming all minor issues) at-least before a perm ban is issued is not more than enough? I am just curious as to how many you think would be ideal.

It's better than being issued one card for an offence which should be worth several. One card per offense is better than a 1,2,3 you're out policy since it at least gives you an idea of how the offence is weighted. The previous system worked fine, the new one just makes it easier for members to be banned, hence the stark number of users who have been banned in the last month.
where an offence is of greater severity, a 'higher' card will be issued.

No offense, but this really doesn't appear to be the case.
Original post by LightBlueSoldier
No offense, but this really doesn't appear to be the case.

I can't comment on specific cases here, but that's what should be happening. If you're unsure about any specific card issued to you, though, we can clarify if you post in Ask A Moderator. :smile:
Reply 17
Except for on this thread, where on the site is the card system explained officially?
I can't comment on specific cases here, but that's what should be happening. If you're unsure about any specific card issued to you, though, we can clarify if you post in Ask A Moderator. :smile:

I've tried Ask a Moderator and run into a brick wall of officialdom.
Original post by Clip
Except for on this thread, where on the site is the card system explained officially?

As far as I can tell, it isn't explained in detail anywhere.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending