Merdan
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I have question abt drawing the optical isomer/mirror images. In the case of E/Z isomerism to classify which one it is the priority is given to the atom or group of atoms with the highest atomic no. I have read from a book which says that when drawing optical isomer mirror images should use the same rule but this time from highest atomic no to lowest cloakwise and the mirror image should be opposite. But on some drawings in the book I saw that hydrogen with lowest atomic no was in between the second highest (NH2) and the highest (COOH) I have been drawing them in random positions so far. Would that get me marked down in an exam? I was told by one of friends its fine as long as its drawn as tetrahedral shape?
gingerbreadman85
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Firstly, optical isomers are different to E/Z (geometric isomers).

Naming E/Z runs off the Cahn-Ingold-Prelog (CIP) rules, which very generally assign higher priority to heavier substituents. E is when the heavier groups either side of the C=C are on the opposite side as each other, Z is when they are on the same side.

Naming optical isomers it depends on whether you use R/S, which runs off the Cahn-Ingold-Prelog (CIP) rules again, or D/L, which is used for some biological systems, particularly amino acids and uses the "CORN" rule.
Merdan
Rep:
?
(Original post by gingerbreadman85)
Firstly, optical isomers are different to E/Z (geometric isomers).

Naming E/Z runs off the Cahn-Ingold-Prelog (CIP) rules, which very generally assign higher priority to heavier substituents. E is when the heavier groups either side of the C=C are on the opposite side as each other, Z is when they are on the same side.

Naming optical isomers it depends on whether you use R/S, which runs off the Cahn-Ingold-Prelog (CIP) rules again, or D/L, which is used for some biological systems, particularly amino acids and uses the "CORN" rule.
Ok I get it now thanks. I have one more question through. Is 1,3-difluorocyclopentane a chiral compound? It has exactly 2 chiral carbon atoms. However its mirror image is superimposable. So a chiral compound means a compound that contains chiral carbon centre or both with chiral carbon and the compound that has non superimposable mirror image?
gingerbreadman85
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
1,3-difluorocyclopentane has geometric isomers (cis/trans) but I don't think it is chiral.
Merdan
Rep:
?
Yes probably, I thought that carbon atom adjacent to fluorine atoms have 4 different group of atoms attached to it but I guess it has to have a proper mirror image to say that it exhibits optical isomerism..
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (498)
33.49%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (619)
41.63%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (302)
20.31%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (68)
4.57%

Watched Threads