Edinburgh vs York vs Bristol Watch

frenchoib
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hello,

I'm torn between Edinburgh, York and Bristol to study maths and economics.
Could any one tell me any pros and cons of these unis? (student satisfaction, campus life, teaching etc)

Thanks!
FlyHigh_er
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by frenchoib)
Hello,

I'm torn between Edinburgh, York and Bristol to study maths and economics.
Could any one tell me any pros and cons of these unis? (student satisfaction, campus life, teaching etc)

Thanks!
Have you been to visit the unis? That would help you a lot.

If you have, and can't decide, then:

Bristol is the best at maths out of the three, that's as important as you want to make it.

I know york and Bristol are top for econ, but I don't know about Ed.

Bristol and York are cities with a town feel.

York has colleges which makes friendships and social things better (?) and more interesting. The sport also gets more competitive.

York has the opportunity to study abroad whatever course you're doing for a year at great unis, however Bristol's is more rigid, espesh since yours is a joint honours.

In terms of prestige, not much difference, so look at modules, electives, societies and big city/small city; north (cold)/south (warmer).

Can you tell: I was going to apply for exact course before, at Bristol and York, changed what I applied for, only applied to Bristol, and don't know anything about Edinburgh.

Posted from TSR Mobile
frenchoib
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by FlyHigh_er)
Have you been to visit the unis? That would help you a lot.

If you have, and can't decide, then:

Bristol is the best at maths out of the three, that's as important as you want to make it.

I know york and Bristol are top for econ, but I don't know about Ed.

Bristol and York are cities with a town feel.

York has colleges which makes friendships and social things better (?) and more interesting. The sport also gets more competitive.

York has the opportunity to study abroad whatever course you're doing for a year at great unis, however Bristol's is more rigid, espesh since yours is a joint honours.

In terms of prestige, not much difference, so look at modules, electives, societies and big city/small city; north (cold)/south (warmer).

Can you tell: I was going to apply for exact course before, at Bristol and York, changed what I applied for, only applied to Bristol, and don't know anything about Edinburgh.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you so much for replying! (sorry for my late reply )

I've visited both Bristol and Edinburgh and liked them equally, I think I'm leaning more towards Bristol because of it's higher maths and econ rankings.

Did you enjoy Bristol? And which accommodation did you stay in?

FlyHigh_er
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by frenchoib)
Thank you so much for replying! (sorry for my late reply )

I've visited both Bristol and Edinburgh and liked them equally, I think I'm leaning more towards Bristol because of it's higher maths and econ rankings.

Did you enjoy Bristol? And which accommodation did you stay in?

No, I'm applying this year as well, XD I'm actually firming Manchester and insuring Bristol, I was going to apply for maths and then last summer I decided to do Geology. Bristol looks great though.

sorry I confused you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Origami Bullets
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Bristol is a lovely city to live in (I grew up near the uni). Excellent for things like cycling (if you don't mind the hills), nightlife, random community projects (e.g. People's Republic of Stokes Croft, four city farms, and a pop up kitchen in a park that fed anyone who came, for free, using food that would otherwise go to waste), cider, being able to get out of the city and into the countryside quite quickly, as urban sprawl is minimal), green spaces within the city (the Downs and Brandon Hill would be most relevant for you, with Leigh Woods also useful; the Downs is 400 acres of open grassland in the middle of the city), living in a bit of a nice middle class area, independent shops and that sort of thing.

Don't know anything about the other two though, and it does depend on what you actually want from the town / uni.
Economi
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I actually do Economics and Maths at York so i'd be happy to answer any questions.
maths_tripos23
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Edinburgh is a great uni
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Edinburgh Napier University
    Postgraduate Drop-in Brunch Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?