Alternative ways to gain a certificate in teaching???

Watch
This discussion is closed.
MommytoFreddie
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hi,

I dropped out of university in May 2013 after being there since September 2012 due to finding out I was pregnant and deciding the course I had chosen wasn't going to lead to a stable career that I needed to provide for my son in the future.

I have re-applied for September 2014 to a few Early Years education courses via UCAS which are all three years long. I believe Student Finance will fund these three years but not the extra year that I will need afterwards to either gain QTS or a PGCE. So I'm wondering if there are other pathways I can take to get teacher training or if there are other sources of funding I could apply for.

Thanks!
Klix88
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by MommytoFreddie)
I believe Student Finance will fund these three years but not the extra year that I will need afterwards to either gain QTS or a PGCE
Student FInance will fund a PGCE if you're a graduate, regardless of how many years of uni-level study or Student Finance you've had before:

https://www.gov.uk/teacher-training-funding

Is there another factor which makes you think you won't get funding for the PGCE?
MommytoFreddie
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I see, I thought I'd only be able to get three years funded and couldn't find much information on whether Student Finance would fund the PGCE, that's good news though!
Klix88
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The three years (there's a calculation, so it's not exactly that) is just the rule applied to undergraduate (and some Scottish Masters) course funding. PGCE is treated as a separate thing and that calculation doesn't apply.

Glad to have helped - good luck!
Interrobang
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Your other option is to do an undergrad teaching course - some of those are 3 years long (some are 4), but it's up to you
filza1993
Badges: 0
Report 7 years ago
Hello, have you looked at Teach First its a 2 year program but you will be earning through the whole period.
mhughesWHS17
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Hi,

I’m switching my course from Fine Art to History after my first year so when I go back to university in September I’ll restart as a first year again and will have used up one of my years of student finance. I have spoke to SFE and they have said they’ll fund me for 3 years on the History course. However, I’d like to teach eventually and am therefore, wondering whether this means they won’t support me financially for my PGCE. Am I right in thinking they will fund a PGCE regardless of the fact I’ve used 4 years of uni-level student finance before, or will I have to fund the PGCE myself?

Thanks.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (197)
57.43%
I don't have everything I need (146)
42.57%

Watched Threads