The Student Room Group

Can I get into medical school with my bad GCSES?

My GCSES:
AAABBBCCCC

Biology (A)
Physics (A)
Chemistry (B)
Maths (B)
Eng language (C)

A levels:
Physics (C)
Art (B)
AS maths (e)
ASAP COPE (PASS)

I want to retake my A levels because due to extenuating circumstances I didnt do well and I know I can do much better and I will become a doctor. I know the traditional years to study a levels for med is 3 years w/ retakes. Will I be able to get away with doing Chem, bio, English language and Maths AS. I only did one year before so I'm entitled to one more year of retake right?? Do I still have a chance? I will get really good a level grades. And I know UKCAT plays a big impact in my application as well as medical placements (which I have work abroad ready for 6 weeks) and much more inshallah. Just by looking at my grades do I have a chance and us there point in applying? Also which universities would be good for me if any in London? Can I get into Queen Mary? Thank you for any and every answer. Sorry if there are too many questions I just want to be clear on if I'm being realistic. Thank you saranghae. :frown:
Reply 1
No one can help? :frown:
Reply 2
Hiya,

check this out to see which unis will accept your GCSE grades: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/medical_school_gcse_requirements

for a-level you need 3 A Grades, for most medical schools 2 of them have to be Biology (or maths instead of bio for some unis) and Chemistry. If you can achieve those grades then I don't see why not!

good luck, in sha Allah you'll get in!
no for most medical schools you are supposed to do a levels over 2 years with no retakes. Email some unis to see if they'd accept you with those GCSEs and taking A levels over 3 years.
You can do it, but you have to be tactical. Look up med schools which don't accept resits, work your ass off this year, and think over your other options. Medicine is hard even for non-resitters. But it's by no means impossible.
Reply 5
Original post by x__justmyluck
no for most medical schools you are supposed to do a levels over 2 years with no retakes. Email some unis to see if they'd accept you with those GCSEs and taking A levels over 3 years.

I'm sure some unis will make an exception due to her extenuating circumstances, if not there are quite a few unis who do accept resits so she still has a chance...:cool:
Original post by rwjxo
I'm sure some unis will make an exception due to her extenuating circumstances, if not there are quite a few unis who do accept resits so she still has a chance...:cool:

60% of medicine applicant get 4 rejections the first time the apply, many of those will have better grades than OP and wont have retaken. They may consider her but her chances aren't great.

Also it depends on the extenuating circumstances, I had quite bad extenuating circumstances but still managed A*A*Aa*aaa without any retakes.
Reply 7
Yes, just show improvement and keep an open mind :smile: Also, accept all the help you can get! Tutors, extenuating circumstances, alternative entry routes... You'll be fine :smile:
Reply 8
I've been applying and most schools have rejected me because i got a B in Eng Lang. however, some schools don't mind about that, and there is always the option of doing graduate entry to medicine. (Y)
Reply 9
Original post by poopanda
My GCSES:
AAABBBCCCC

Biology (A)
Physics (A)
Chemistry (B)
Maths (B)
Eng language (C)

A levels:
Physics (C)
Art (B)
AS maths (e)
ASAP COPE (PASS)

I want to retake my A levels because due to extenuating circumstances I didnt do well and I know I can do much better and I will become a doctor. I know the traditional years to study a levels for med is 3 years w/ retakes. Will I be able to get away with doing Chem, bio, English language and Maths AS. I only did one year before so I'm entitled to one more year of retake right?? Do I still have a chance? I will get really good a level grades. And I know UKCAT plays a big impact in my application as well as medical placements (which I have work abroad ready for 6 weeks) and much more inshallah. Just by looking at my grades do I have a chance and us there point in applying? Also which universities would be good for me if any in London? Can I get into Queen Mary? Thank you for any and every answer. Sorry if there are too many questions I just want to be clear on if I'm being realistic. Thank you saranghae. :frown:

Hey! I'm sorry but your A-Level grades aren't so great :/ you NEED chemistry and biology for most universities. Especially chemistry. The lowest offer is AAAb, now raised to A*AA. Unis also don't accept retakes for medicine, because it's so competitive, they'll assume you won't be able to cope. Which is true as of experience! Medicine requires A LOT of work. Best of luck with your career anyway! You should dig into other BSc degrees.
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest