The Student Room Group

Unconditional offer - should I drop out off A-levels?

I know this questions sounds really bad, but let me explain. I have received an unconditional offer from Leicester university. My mum has recently been experiencing some very bad health issues which have left me feeling very emotionally drained and stressed. For some reason I am getting extremely anxious about going to sixth form, Im not totally sure why - but it is really stressing me out. Basically I was hoping for some advice - do you think it would affect me if I dropped out of my A-levels (I know Ill get into uni, but will it effect me getting a job after that?), what do you think you would do in my position? I haven't spoke to anyone regarding this as Im worried as to what they'll think. Thanks for any help and advice you can give.
Why did they give you an unconditional offer?
Reply 2
Original post by qwertyking
Why did they give you an unconditional offer?

Thanks for your reply. They said because they were impressed with my previous grades, personal statement and predicted grades.
Reply 3
I'm pretty sure unconditional offers are only valid if you complete the qualifications on your UCAS application. Certainly at the likes of Leicester and Birmingham with these new unconditional offers schemes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes, you'll have to at least sit the exams
Original post by harmonyj
I know this questions sounds really bad, but let me explain. I have received an unconditional offer from Leicester university. My mum has recently been experiencing some very bad health issues which have left me feeling very emotionally drained and stressed. For some reason I am getting extremely anxious about going to sixth form, Im not totally sure why - but it is really stressing me out. Basically I was hoping for some advice - do you think it would affect me if I dropped out of my A-levels (I know Ill get into uni, but will it effect me getting a job after that?), what do you think you would do in my position? I haven't spoke to anyone regarding this as Im worried as to what they'll think. Thanks for any help and advice you can give.

What happens if you apply for a job that has certain A-level requirements? Don't drop out.
Do be aware that some graduate schemes also ask for a minimum number of UCAS points or a set of grades as well. If there are aren't any conceivable schemes such as this on your career route, than I suppose you don't have to worry about that.
Reply 7
Original post by lozzvipond
I'm pretty sure unconditional offers are only valid if you complete the qualifications on your UCAS application. Certainly at the likes of Leicester and Birmingham with these new unconditional offers schemes. Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for your reply. I thought this to, but when I looked on their website I found this:

"Do students still actually need to get an A level? A completely unconditional offer implies that they do not.

An unconditional offer is unconditional and the student will be accepted irrespective of their final grades.However, we believe that their ambition to achieve and succeed will ensure that they continue to work toattain high A level grades. It is essential students continue to apply themselves in their current studies as goodA level grades maximise further employment opportunities during and after graduation. "
Reply 8
Original post by Calllu-m
Yes, you'll have to at least sit the exams

I don't think I do though, what I quoted from their website makes it seem as if you don't actually need to (although it is preferable to)
Are your mum's health issues likely to be temporary? If not, what benefits would you gain by not sitting the exams? You'll still have to face other stressful situations at some point.

You might regret it if you drop out, since you'll miss sixth form and your friends and miss out on all the leavers events. you'd probably be fine putting less effort in if you really don't care too much about grades, but job wise even my supermarket job wanted me to have A levels. There's always the chance you might drop out/ have to leave uni for some reason, and you wouldn't want to rely on just your GCSEs to find a job.
If you do feel really stressed though, there's always someone at school who is trained to talk to you, and they'll keep it confidential. Alternatively you could talk to your GP about how anxiety is affecting you, and he/she could put you in touch with someone. :smile:
Thanks for your reply. I thought this to, but when I looked on their website I found this:

"Do students still actually need to get an A level? A completely unconditional offer implies that they do not.

An unconditional offer is unconditional and the student will be accepted irrespective of their final grades.However, we believe that their ambition to achieve and succeed will ensure that they continue to work toattain high A level grades. It is essential students continue to apply themselves in their current studies as goodA level grades maximise further employment opportunities during and after graduation. "

They expect you to go on and achieve a final grade. They've given you an unconditional offer based on the knowledge that you will be completing A2 levels, which without you obviously won't have the right level of knowledge to start a degree. If you dropped out you'd have to notify UCAS that your qualifications would be changing (you wouldn't be completing A2 levels) and that wouldn't be the situation under which you got the unconditional offer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by feathergirl
You might regret it if you drop out, since you'll miss sixth form and your friends and miss out on all the leavers events. you'd probably be fine putting less effort in if you really don't care too much about grades, but job wise even my supermarket job wanted me to have A levels. There's always the chance you might drop out/ have to leave uni for some reason, and you wouldn't want to rely on just your GCSEs to find a job.
If you do feel really stressed though, there's always someone at school who is trained to talk to you, and they'll keep it confidential. Alternatively you could talk to your GP about how anxiety is affecting you, and he/she could put you in touch with someone. :smile:

Yes, there's plenty of support out there.

I think if you opt out of one thing, it becomes easier and easier to opt out of other things.
What about "self teaching"? You can go over topics/papers at your own pace and the exams at the end of the year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by lozzvipond
They expect you to go on and achieve a final grade. They've given you an unconditional offer based on the knowledge that you will be completing A2 levels, which without you obviously won't have the right level of knowledge to start a degree. If you dropped out you'd have to notify UCAS that your qualifications would be changing (you wouldn't be completing A2 levels) and that wouldn't be the situation under which you got the unconditional offer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes I see what your saying, I guess I don't really have a choice then
Reply 15
Original post by Olympiad
What about "self teaching"? You can go over topics/papers at your own pace and the exams at the end of the year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have considered this, but I don't know if its possible to when you are halfway through the year at sixth form?
I have considered this, but I don't know if its possible to when you are halfway through the year at sixth form?

Ask your teacher, explain it's due to health problems.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes I see what your saying, I guess I don't really have a choice then

The people you should really be asking are the university, as they will actually have the definitive answer. By all means use the unconditional offer to your advantage, don't burn yourself out or overwork yourself if/when you feel you aren't coping. It certainly takes out the element of stress. :smile: but as the paragraph you posted said, don't damage your future opportunities either :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest