Do you ever feel sad/depressed after reading a book??

Watch
Giannaaa123
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
This happens to me all the time. I find a book, read it, get totally sucked into it, become too emotionally attached and so then when I finish it, I feel like somebody has just told me there is no tomorrow...
I literally feel so upset, it's a horrible feeling
I think I understand why I get sad, probably because I become so attached to the story and the characters in it, however I have no idea how to stop this feeling or lessen it!! Anybody out there who ever gets the same feeling? And maybe anyone who knows of a way to stop this feeling? Any comments/advice are appreciated x

(By the way, I know this isn't really an 'Everyday issue,' but there wasn't another remotely relevant topic to choose from!)
username877577
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I do for a bit but get over it quickly :|

Posted from TSR Mobile
nguyenj
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Giannaaa123)
This happens to me all the time. I find a book, read it, get totally sucked into it, become too emotionally attached and so then when I finish it, I feel like somebody has just told me there is no tomorrow...
I think I understand why I get sad, probably because I become so attached to the story and the characters in it, however I have no idea how to stop this feeling or lessen it!! Anybody out there who ever gets the same feeling? And maybe anyone who knows of a way to stop this feeling? Any comments/advice are appreciated x

(By the way, I know this isn't really an 'Everyday issue,' but there wasn't another remotely relevant topic to choose from!)
Omg! I feel this ALL the time when I finish reading a good book! It's like when I finally bring myself to close the book, the whole world is just moving on, and I feel like I'm stuck in the story because I'm so absorbed in it.

You kind of get emotionally-attached to the characters, and sometimes you even feel like you want their life because yours will never be that good and adventurous.

Sometimes I'm even reluctant to start reading new books because it happens all the time - especially when you do English Literature at A level and pursuing it for university.

*sighs*
KJane
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I don't really know how to stop it, I take it as a sign of a really good story or book that can make me feel a sense of loss after I stop reading. It's part of what draws me to actually reading and engaging with literature. I'm not sure I'd particularly want to get rid of it, since there's a sense of accomplishment/fulfillment that goes with it.
Giannaaa123
Rep:
?
(Original post by nguyenj)
Omg! I feel this ALL the time when I finish reading a good book! It's like when I finally bring myself to close the book, the whole world is just moving on, and I feel like I'm stuck in the story because I'm so absorbed in it.

You kind of get emotionally-attached to the characters, and sometimes you even feel like you want their life because yours will never be that good and adventurous.

Sometimes I'm even reluctant to start reading new books because it happens all the time - especially when you do English Literature at A level and pursuing it for university.

*sighs*
I know, it really is like I'm stuck in the story! Even though I'm still feeling a little down, I'm trying to make myself separate it from reality, 'cos I think I also get a bit sad 'cos I want a life like the characters..
Thanks so much for your post
Giannaaa123
Rep:
?
(Original post by Olympiad)
I do for a bit but get over it quickly :|

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeh it normally takes me a little while to get over it...but then I'll just end up reading another good book and feeling the same thing! It's like an endless cycle... :/
chocolatesauce
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
recently I've been reading a lot of books about rape and abuse and it makes me sad but I like emotionally disturbing (maybe not the right word) books...
Giannaaa123
Rep:
?
(Original post by KJane)
I don't really know how to stop it, I take it as a sign of a really good story or book that can make me feel a sense of loss after I stop reading. It's part of what draws me to actually reading and engaging with literature. I'm not sure I'd particularly want to get rid of it, since there's a sense of accomplishment/fulfillment that goes with it.
Yeh I guess it does show a sign of a well-written book...but I never thought reading would have this effect on me. I suppose it is a bit like a sense of fulfillment, but for me it's like a sense of loss more than anything. Thanks anyway
Lyla_Mikaeal
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

I understand what you mean. It feels so real reading it and after reaching the ending and you finish the book you realise it wasn't and feel cheated (well I do). It's more of a deflated feeling though.

Of course, I'm assuming you're speaking about fictional books. After I finish reading my A2 Chemistry book, I like to think I'll be jumping in sheer joy
Giannaaa123
Rep:
?
(Original post by chocolatesauce)
recently I've been reading a lot of books about rape and abuse and it makes me sad but I like emotionally disturbing (maybe not the right word) books...
But the thing is I get this feeling even after reading a book with a happy ending... I guess I sort of develop this connection with the characters as I'm reading, so I guess when the book ends, it's like losing a friend I suppose...And I know what you mean about those sort of books, they make me horrendously sad but I still get drawn to reading them!
swanderfeild
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Thats why you never read the last chapter... the book never ends that way.
Giannaaa123
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lyla_Mikaeal)
I understand what you mean. It feels so real reading it and after reaching the ending and you finish the book you realise it wasn't and feel cheated (well I do). It's more of a deflated feeling though.

Of course, I'm assuming you're speaking about fictional books. After I finish reading my A2 Chemistry book, I like to think I'll be jumping in sheer joy
Yeh I completely agree with that! But I can never stop reading, even if it means getting this feeling afterwards..
And oh yes definitely fictional books, a Chemistry book gets me crying for completely different reasons haha
Giannaaa123
Rep:
?
(Original post by swanderfeild)
Hmm..sounds tempting...but I could never do that, I'd just dwell on what the ending would've been :P
Lyla_Mikaeal
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Yeh I completely agree with that! But I can never stop reading, even if it means getting this feeling afterwards..
And oh yes definitely fictional books, a Chemistry book gets me crying for completely different reasons haha
Hahahaha definitely! And same, despite that feeling I still end up reading a lot books. It's like an addiction!
Do you find good books hard to find after you've read a lot of books? I don't know why I can't
SoggyTractor
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
If it's a good book, I always feel sad when it's over. A good writer makes you feel close to his/her characters and when the last chapter is over, it's like being separated from friends...the journey you've taken with them is over.

The same goes for movies and TV series. I'll be seriously depressed when I finish watching Breaking Bad.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Plainview
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by swanderfeild)
Do you actually do this?
Giannaaa123
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lyla_Mikaeal)
Hahahaha definitely! And same, despite that feeling I still end up reading a lot books. It's like an addiction!
Do you find good books hard to find after you've read a lot of books? I don't know why I can't
Omg yes, it really is an addiction!! Haha. And there was this one time where I read this absolutely amazing book, which had me completely attached that my heart may as well have been chained to the front cover, that I couldn't find another book after it that was good enough...I suppose it's like boyfriends/girlfriends...you find that one special person, your relationship ends and you just can't find anybody else who lives up to that expectation..
But anyway, I have managed to find more good books, it just takes a little research (try Goodreads.com) and also I managed to completely detach myself from that one amazing book.

-Oh, just to let you know, Sarah Alderson is an AWESOME author..you might like her books
Giannaaa123
Rep:
?
(Original post by SoggyTractor)
If it's a good book, I always feel sad when it's over. A good writer makes you feel close to his/her characters and when the last chapter is over, it's like being separated from friends...the journey you've taken with them is over.

The same goes for movies and TV series. I'll be seriously depressed when I finish watching Breaking Bad.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Absolutely, I definitely get the same thing with good movies and TV series.
Hellz_Bellz!
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Yeah! After reading Demian by Herman Hesse I shut the book and kinda just lay there for a while. I found it very sad.

And in the book I'm currently reading, Wool, a really innocent character died and even though he wasn't a main character, it really upset me :sad: I actually said "oh my god no" out loud :lol:

I love that kind of book though. The type where you actually feel emotionally connected to the characters.
swanderfeild
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Plainview)
Do you actually do this?
For books I absolutely loved (hunger games trilogy, Shadow Children), yea. I know what happens eventually but I never actually finished the book.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (188)
32.3%
No (394)
67.7%

Watched Threads