Strengthening application

Watch this thread
palladin984
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Hi I'm a year 12 student hoping to eventually study economics at uni. My grades are 10* at gcse, and i'm predicted a's in my as maths, fm, economics, history and physics. I'm also doing a related EPQ and a young investment banker programme in February.

I was wondering if there was anything else I should do (besides getting the best possible grades) to maximise my chances of getting into a top university (investment banking is the pipe dream)?
tazza ma razza
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 8 years ago
Soooo i am in the same boat; i got 9A* 2A at GCSE, predicted 4 As in Maths, Futher Maths, Economics and German. Im doing Young enterprise and gold dofe as well as attending a summer school for a week split between UCL and LSE and ULU in August.

I'm assuming your applying to oxbridge, lse and warwick (at least); again like me. After attending some seminars, they say reading is the best thing to do. But don't read some generic book like freakonomics; read something personally interesting. I read poor economics, that is a good read. I was told to apply for work experience only if you were able to but if you can't it doesnt really matter. I wont be able to get any easter experince as i am on dofe.

i hope this is useful!

If there is anyone else out there who has the answer please help us!!

much obliged
palladin984
Rep:
(Original post by tazza ma razza)
Soooo i am in the same boat; i got 9A* 2A at GCSE, predicted 4 As in Maths, Futher Maths, Economics and German. Im doing Young enterprise and gold dofe as well as attending a summer school for a week split between UCL and LSE and ULU in August.

I'm assuming your applying to oxbridge, lse and warwick (at least); again like me. After attending some seminars, they say reading is the best thing to do. But don't read some generic book like freakonomics; read something personally interesting. I read poor economics, that is a good read. I was told to apply for work experience only if you were able to but if you can't it doesnt really matter. I wont be able to get any easter experince as i am on dofe.

i hope this is useful!

If there is anyone else out there who has the answer please help us!!

much obliged
yeah really useful thanks, could you provide a link to the summer school programme you are doing? I'm doing Gold Dofe as well although my careers adviser aid it wasn't really important to the top uni's.

I don't really know which universities to apply to, I heard you really need to get top 5 to have a chance in investment banking, but I heard LSE in particular is nearly impossible to get into?
Lunch_Box
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
As someone who has just gone through the process, the best preparation you can do is to do extra reading on a branch of economics you enjoy (such as development economics), and also attending insightful lectures. I saw my lectures at the LSE, but there's also an upcoming Cambridge Marshall Society lecture that I think is open to the public. That would be viewed very favourably, especially by Cambridge tutors. Aside from that, there isn't much else you can do. Work experience and DofE are not necessary - my extracurriculars weren't that impressive. They mainly care about your grades - so maximise your AS scores to give yourself a good shot at Cambridge (or Oxford).

If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me.
palladin984
Rep:
Thanks very much for the information. Sorry for the slightly random question, but which of these would stand me a better chance of getting into investment banking: Economics and economic history at LSE or straight economics at somewhere like bath or Durham? Which is more important, the degree or the university?
zendesk
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
The best thing really that you can do is to maximise your grades and try to go for as high UMS as possible. This, coupled with 4A* predictions, will be your best shot at getting into the top 5 (with such a set of grades, you will definitely get offers from at least 1 of Warwick, Durham, UCL, Imperial, Oxbridge, LSE)

To answer your question above, uni brand name > course studied

I'm an offer holder for LSE straight Econ so let me know if you have more questions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
tazza ma razza
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 8 years ago

I'm an offer holder for LSE straight Econ so let me know if you have more questions.
dumb question coming; what is an offer holder? LSE will be my number 1 choice so just a little curious as to what it is!

Is it alright if I PM you or would you prefer an open question if i had a question to ask?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (5)
17.24%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (3)
10.34%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (4)
13.79%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (3)
10.34%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (7)
24.14%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (7)
24.14%

Watched Threads