THE truth about the EU

Watch this thread
stev43219
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
In this country we can vote every five years for three main parties. Tory Liberal or Labour
Guess how many opposition parties the EU has?
None They are in power forever and can and do change their rules as they want Go on then throw them out? You cant.

The EU has its own judiciary police army flag and anthem Who gave them permission to do that? You?

EU Politicians are powerless and can only vote on what UNELECTED commissioners allow them . Even then the commissioners can reverse it.

So much for politics and hello dictatorship.
SHallowvale
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 8 years ago
Oh great truth bringer, thank you for blessing us with your well reasoned, source-citing arguement!
Fango_Jett
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
OP, how much does UKIP pay you to come and post here? Just curious.
stev43219
Rep:
So no argument No debate Funny I cant even post on my thread about islam

Oh well seems democracy and free speech are denied the clever clogs at uni,

Carry on towing your political elites line.

By the way I don't support anyone but UKIP are the only party truly offering an EU referenum
Fango_Jett
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by stev43219)

By the way I don't support anyone but UKIP are the only party truly offering an EU referenum
FYI, UKIP doesn't believe in climate change and is opposed to investing in renewable energy sources. Tells you what a bunch of nutters they are.

I would point out how bad it would be for the UK to leave the EU, but I won't bother as you are clearly blinded by propaganda and your own stupidity.
SHallowvale
Rep:
Report 8 years ago

Your arguement lacks substance, so how can we even begin to accept what you've been saying?

Ugh.

2/10, try harder next time.
stev43219
Rep:
I have now come to realise this is not tragically a debating forum at all. My mistake Sorry
Fango_Jett
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
I have now come to realise this is not tragically a debating forum at all. My mistake Sorry
Translation: My blatant bait failed to create a megathread crapping on the EU, therefore the best course of action will be to pretend to take the higher ground and gracefully exit.

I'm sure you will be back creating bait threads in no time.
SHallowvale
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Fango_Jett)
Translation: My blatant bait failed to create a megathread crapping on the EU, therefore the best course of action will be to pretend to take the higher ground and gracefully exit.

I'm sure you will be back creating bait threads in no time.
Aye.
stev43219
Rep:
Yep won over by your superior intellect Okay may not be a debating forum but nice and cosy as the opposite IE A there is no such thing as debating forum here only mindless putdowns aggression and innuendo
The place obviously taken down by trolls or a political stazi where you either tow the line or buried by troll ****.
As for me I get frustrated by mindless thuggery I'll leave you where you belong as prime examples of British education.
Fango_Jett
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Yep won over by your superior intellect Okay may not be a debating forum but nice and cosy as the opposite IE A there is no such thing as debating forum here only mindless putdowns aggression and innuendo
The place obviously taken down by trolls or a political stazi where you either tow the line or buried by troll ****.
As for me I get frustrated by mindless thuggery I'll leave you where you belong as prime examples of British education.
Why are you going on about intellect when your first post was filled with some of the most uninformed and pointless drivel that I have ever seen in my life. There is a strong debating community here, but people here are intelligent to debate with people who are not posting obvious bait or who are clearly going to either parrot their initial statement without considering the other's arguments or just spout ad hominem.

Why do you even bring british education into this? If it's anyone who needs an education on how to form a structured argument or point of view, it's you. Hell I am not even educated by the british system.
Ruffiio
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Didn't David Cameron give us a cast iron guarantee on a referendum? Correct me if i'm wrong I apologize. He didn't give us one and now he is promising a referendum again in 2017.

Nigel Farage promises a referendum, why is it that people somehow believe that Farage will stay true to his promise? Who is to say if Farage hypothetically did come to power, he would keep his promise or not? He could not give us a referendum just like many other people have said, I don't know what makes farage any different.
stev43219
Rep:
(Original post by Ruffiio)
Didn't David Cameron give us a cast iron guarantee on a referendum? Correct me if i'm wrong I apologize. He didn't give us one and now he is promising a referendum again in 2017.

Nigel Farage promises a referendum, why is it that people somehow believe that Farage will stay true to his promise? Who is to say if Farage hypothetically did come to power, he would keep his promise or not? He could not give us a referendum just like many other people have said, I don't know what makes farage any different.
Seriously Do you believe that will ever happen Its prefaced by they will negotiate powers back and then there will be no need for a referendum
Cameron has already said he would rather stay in and he may not be the PM in 2017 even if the tories win. Remember his election promise to hold a referendum and didn't. Remember Ireland voting no and made to vote again until they made the right choice under the threat of job losses and bankruptcy?
Ruffiio
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Seriously Do you believe that will ever happen Its prefaced by they will negotiate powers back and then there will be no need for a referendum
Cameron has already said he would rather stay in and he may not be the PM in 2017 even if the tories win. Remember his election promise to hold a referendum and didn't. Remember Ireland voting no and made to vote again until they made the right choice under the threat of job losses and bankruptcy?

Um, that's what I'm saying, David Cameron will most likely fail to live up to his promise again despite his promises for a referendum after negotiations but I don't see why people think Nigel Farage will live up to his promise of a referendum, he could easily change his mind if he were to get into power. Someone could easily just claim to give people what they wanted if they were to get into power as a way of getting into power themselves and then turn back on it and do the complete opposite of everyone's wishes. Granted that would be suicide for the next election or earlier but yeah.
Fango_Jett
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Um, that's what I'm saying, David Cameron will most likely fail to live up to his promise again despite his promises for a referendum after negotiations but I don't see why people think Nigel Farage will live up to his promise of a referendum, he could easily change his mind if he were to get into power. Someone could easily just claim to give people what they wanted if they were to get into power as a way of getting into power themselves and then turn back on it and do the complete opposite of everyone's wishes. Granted that would be suicide for the next election or earlier but yeah.
Hopefully, Farage never gets the opportunity to even get close to getting the UK out of the EU. Then again, it would be pretty funny to see them begging the EU to let them back in a month later after people start rioting.
AP12345
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
The EU is one of the least democratic bodies. Our MEPs have little legitimacy as very little people turn out to vote for them. Your right the commissioner is unelected which for someone of such power is mind boggling. The only way things get done in the EU is if you can bargain with other countries to change things which effect us Brits. We shouldn't have to make deals with the Dutch and Swedes for support to control our own laws and make our own decisions.
democracyforum
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
What EXACTLY is the EU up too?

Well, some of these quotes from those in love with the EU project and a few who are not, may help us to figure it out:

"Parliament must...resign itself to becoming a rubber stamp."
(Lord Kilmuir, advice to Edward Heath, December 1960)

"We should frankly recognise this surrender of sovereignty and its purpose."
(Edward Heath, Hansard, 17 November 1966)

"The single market was the theme of the Eighties; the single currency
was the theme of the Nineties; we must now face the difficult task of
moving towards a single economy, a single political unity."
(Romano Prodi, 13 April 1999)

"The [Lisbon Treaty] is indeed a tidying -up exercise, it sweeps the rest of our sovereignty under the Brussels carpet."
(Lord Pearson)

"The Government’s guiding principle was...to swallow the lot and swallow it now."
(Sir Con O’Neill, the British diplomat who led the UK’s negotiations for EEC membership under Heath)

"The EU is the old Soviet Union dressed in Western clothes"
(President Gorbachev)

“I have lived in your future ….and it doesn’t work”
(Russian dissident Vladimir Bukovsky on the EU)

"Now we've signed it - we had better read it"
(Douglas Hurd, former Foreign Secretary on the Maastricht Treaty)

"The supremacy of Community Law when in conflict with national law is
the logical consequence of the federal concept of the Community"
(H P Ipsen, 1964 - 9 years before we joined)

"[Norway] held a referendum [on the EU] that went the wrong way"
(Douglas Hurd, former Foreign Secretary on the Maastricht Treaty)

"Public opinion will be led to adopt, without knowing it, the
proposals we dare not present to them directly. All the earlier
proposals will be in the new text, but will be hidden and diguised"
(Valery Giscard D'Estang. on the Lisbon treaty)

"The Tories have been indulging in their usual double talk. When they
go to Brussels they show the greatest enthusiasm for political union.
When they speak in the House of Commons they are most anxious to aver
that there is no commitment whatever to any political union."
(Labour MP Hugh Gaitskell, October 1962)

"The Constitution is the capstone of a European Federal State."
(Guy Verhofstadt, Belgian Prime Minister)

'If it's a Yes we will say "on we go", and if it's a No we will say "we continue".'
(Jean-Claude Juncker, President of the European Council)

"I have read some of [the Lisbon Treaty] but not all of it."
(Caroline Flint, former Minister for Europe)

"The primary reason why Britain entered into [EEC] negotiations was political, political in its widest sense."
(Edward Heath, lecture at Harvard, 1967)

“They must go on voting until they get it right.”
(Jose Manuel Barroso, President of the European Commission)

"If you go through all the structures and features of this emerging
European monster you will notice that it more and more resembles the
Soviet Union."
(Russian dissident Vladimir Bukovsky)

“I have never understood why public opinion about European ideas should be taken into account at all,”
(French PM Raymond Barre)

“Let’s be clear about this. The rejection of the constitution was a mistake that will have to be corrected.”
(Valéry Giscard d’Estaing)

“The 'no' votes were a demand for more Europe, not less.”
(Romano Prodi, former President of the European Commission)

"I don’t want an ‘in or out’ referendum because I don’t think out is in Britain’s interests.”
(David Cameron, who won't hold a referendum because he thinks he'll lose)

"No government dependent on a democratic vote could possibly agree in
advance to the sacrifices which any adequate plan for European Union
must involve. The people must be led slowly and unconsciously into the
abandonment of their traditional economic defences, not asked…"
(Peter Thorneycroft, former Tory MP)

"The transfer by the States from their domestic legal system to the
Community legal system of the rights and obligations arising under the
Treaty carries with it a permanent limitation of their sovereign
rights... against which a subsequent act incompatible with the concept
of the Community cannot prevail"
(ECJ Case 6/64)

"The European Parliament is a caucusing body that is incredibly
responsive to lobbying institutions, but it is completely unresponsive
to public opinion."
(Gisela Stuart, Labour MP June 2009)

“Millions of people in this country will feel as I do, that
legislation passed in this way, with no consent, cannot command the
assent of the country and would lack moral and constitutional validity."
(Douglas Jay MP during 2nd reading of European Communities Bill 1972)

"It is an illusion to think that [EU] states can hold on to their autonomy."
(Hans Tietmeyer, head of the Bundesbank 1991)

Scary, isn't it ?
chrisawhitmore
Rep:
Report 8 years ago

Strictly speaking, the cast iron guarantee was for a referendum on the Lisbon treaty, (which was similar to the 2005 Labour manifesto promise to hold a referendum on the EU constitution which was one of the driving factors behind the superficial change from constitution to treaty). While neither Labour nor the Conservatives technically broke their promises (as the EU constitution never got to a vote and the Lisbon treaty was already in place and irrevocable by the time Cameron came to power) Farage would struggle to find a similar technicality.
chrisawhitmore
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by SHallowvale)
Oh great truth bringer, thank you for blessing us with your well reasoned, source-citing arguement!
While horribly phrased, he does make a fair point in that the EU recognises no official opposition. Refusing to acknowledge that anyone disagrees with you is rarely the sign of enlightened democratic governance. He does however raise the far more pertinent point that the EU commission, an appointed body, holds more power than the elected parliament (given that the parliament lacks the power to propose bills, meaning that there is no way for them to represent constituents who would like to see powers taken away from the commission).
chrisawhitmore
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Fango_Jett)
FYI, UKIP doesn't believe in climate change and is opposed to investing in renewable energy sources. Tells you what a bunch of nutters they are.

I would point out how bad it would be for the UK to leave the EU, but I won't bother as you are clearly blinded by propaganda and your own stupidity.
I'd like to clarify your claims a bit. They don't believe that anthropogenic climate change is a certainty (or at least, that it represents a significant portion of total change). To claim they don't believe in climate change is equivalent to saying that anyone who doesn't believe that the sun is pulled into the sky by Apollo's chariot doesn't believe in the sun.

Secondly, they favour new nuclear plants over wind and solar. This is sensible, given that wind and solar don't really replace fossil fuels capacity (what happens when everyone goes to boil their kettles after eastenders and discovers that it is neither sunny nor windy?) meaning that they require the maintenance of fossil fuel plants as well as the renewables, which pushes the cost from uneconomical to ludicrous. As such we should divert energy spending to a solution which will actually solve problems, and nuclear looks like the best bet.

Oh, and please, don't let anyone stand in the way of your explanation of why leaving the EU would be a bad thing. Let forth your staunch defense of tethering the UK to the worst performing economic group in the world.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (38)
26.21%
As I expected (47)
32.41%
Harder (53)
36.55%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (7)
4.83%

Watched Threads