The Student Room Group

What are my options regarding an ISP?

Hi,

So I was with Sky for 5 years until October 2013, when I asked for an increase in speeds but they couldn't provide more than 2MB in my area. I switched to Virgin Fiber optic, where I'm on the 60MB package.

Virgin are utter rubbish. They have 'SNR' (signal to noise ratio) issues in my area, and had these issues before they even sold me the package (from forum posts). Atleast once or twice a month internet dies at 12AM on Monday, I call them, they say internet will be back to you Thursday midday. I can't be doing with this. They acknowledge fault and will let me out of my contract.

Thing is, where do I go? Aren't Virgin just a BT whitelabel, so BT will have the same issues?

I was also thinking of EE fiber optic.

Not sure where to go from here. Thoughts?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Well you can either have really crappy internet, or you can move to a proper country who can provide such simple services.
I honestly don't know as everything here is run from a virgin or BT line. Go with BT though as while both are ****. Nothing will ever be worse than virgin media.

They do use separate lines btw.
Reply 2
Original post by Jebedee
Well you can either have really crappy internet, or you can move to a proper country who can provide such simple services.
I honestly don't know as everything here is run from a virgin or BT line. Go with BT though as while both are ****. Nothing will ever be worse than virgin media.

OK great, good to know I'm not the only one ripping my hair out over the ****ty service of Virgin Media.

So they are different lines, so any problems Virgin face over their SNR issues wont necessarily occur with BT?
Reply 3
Original post by GreenStarburst
OK great, good to know I'm not the only one ripping my hair out over the ****ty service of Virgin Media.

So they are different lines, so any problems Virgin face over their SNR issues wont necessarily occur with BT?

Nope, my mom has 2mb old bt line and it is a million times better than my "50mb". You watch one YouTube video and they class you an excessive user and slash your speed about 90%• then do it again if you try to use it more. It's called a fair use policy. Reminds me of that south park episode...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Jebedee
Nope, my mom has 2mb old bt line and it is a million times better than my "50mb". You watch one YouTube video and they class you an excessive user and slash your speed about 90%• then do it again if you try to use it more. It's called a fair use policy. Reminds me of that south park episode...

Posted from TSR Mobile

You need to watch more than one video... The fair use age is fair good with them, most of the people I know has 4 to a house and never really go over it. if they do it is never 90%, i cant remember off the top of my head but i think its 40% then 60% if you don't stop. In my house we have 2 very heavy internet users and we don't go over often (or things like today happen where I download over 160gb in one day and don't get throttled once)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by kumori
You need to watch more than one video... The fair use age is fair good with them, most of the people I know has 4 to a house and never really go over it. if they do it is never 90%, i cant remember off the top of my head but i think its 40% then 60% if you don't stop. In my house we have 2 very heavy internet users and we don't go over often (or things like today happen where I download over 160gb in one day and don't get throttled once)

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've been arguing with them for a while, we have 4 users and our usage is average yet we go down to 0.3mb and similar speeds, in november it was every day off peak and on peak. VM tried to justify it and said they will do the necessary repair work (digging roads apparently) maybe in August but no guarantee (after my lease is up anyway). All they did was fob us off with half price line rental, I'd rather pay through the nose and get what I paid for personally.
Reply 6
Original post by Jebedee
I've been arguing with them for a while, we have 4 users and our usage is average yet we go down to 0.3mb and similar speeds, in november it was every day off peak and on peak. VM tried to justify it and said they will do the necessary repair work (digging roads apparently) maybe in August but no guarantee (after my lease is up anyway). All they did was fob us off with half price line rental, I'd rather pay through the nose and get what I paid for personally.

Call and say you would like to cancel your subscription. They will say you're under contract you can't, say you are not getting what you paid for and you shouldn't have been sold a package which they KNEW was faulty in the first place. You have spoken to other people in the area and they see the same issues, and VM have acknowledged the fault and refuse to rectify it (digging up roads). You have also visited the Virgin Media forums and see people talking about the same issues.

I said that ^ with my own circumstances. Was put on hold for a minute, they came back and said sorry we will let you out of your contract, then offer you half price deals etc. Say no. VM will be cancelled in a month, in the meantime get a new provider.

I switched back to Sky, they have fiber optic now. BT is another option, so is EE.
I so wish I could get FTTH services that weren't Virgin in my area.
Reply 8
Call and say you would like to cancel your subscription. They will say you're under contract you can't, say you are not getting what you paid for and you shouldn't have been sold a package which they KNEW was faulty in the first place. You have spoken to other people in the area and they see the same issues, and VM have acknowledged the fault and refuse to rectify it (digging up roads). You have also visited the Virgin Media forums and see people talking about the same issues.

I said that ^ with my own circumstances. Was put on hold for a minute, they came back and said sorry we will let you out of your contract, then offer you half price deals etc. Say no. VM will be cancelled in a month, in the meantime get a new provider.

I switched back to Sky, they have fiber optic now. BT is another option, so is EE.

Yeah I know they can't hold me to a contract, the thing is I'm only in this house for another couple of months and the other tenants don't fancy shelling out to have a BT line installed either.
Basically what I've explained to VM is that we took the contract out and paid for installation under the pretence that the service was "unlimited". As VM have officially been banned from using that word for misuse, I demanded that our installation fee be refunded. No matter how many times I threaten them they just will not budge.

Is there any legal proceedings I can undertake to get this installation fee back from them? Considering the facts, it does sound like I have a genuinely good case, no?

This shiz would never happen in a real country like Japan for example, I wish they would airlift an army of Japanese people into the VM headquarters, massacre the entire staff then take over.
Reply 9
Original post by Jebedee
Is there any legal proceedings I can undertake to get this installation fee back from them? Considering the facts, it does sound like I have a genuinely good case, no?

As long as you can prove that they've breached the contract (read all the small print) you could take them to the small claims court. As to whether they'll actually pay up (assuming you win) is a different matter - But it will show up against them and could impact their ability to get other business (at least if lots of people took them to court like that).

Personally I'd probably write (not email) to the CEO's office or Complaints office first. Stating that they've breached the contract (giving details) and that you want compensation to include the installation fee (and potentially a small amount extra to cover any related expenses). It may help to name a value (and approximate breakdown if not obvious). You can also tell them you want a reply within a reasonable time frame (give them a couple of weeks) and state that if you haven't heard you will take the matter to the small claims court. Then send that via registered post (means you get a signature to say it's been received). Keep a copy and details of the recorded delivery as that gives you extra evidence if you need to take it further.
Reply 10
Original post by mfaxford
As long as you can prove that they've breached the contract (read all the small print) you could take them to the small claims court. As to whether they'll actually pay up (assuming you win) is a different matter - But it will show up against them and could impact their ability to get other business (at least if lots of people took them to court like that).

Personally I'd probably write (not email) to the CEO's office or Complaints office first. Stating that they've breached the contract (giving details) and that you want compensation to include the installation fee (and potentially a small amount extra to cover any related expenses). It may help to name a value (and approximate breakdown if not obvious). You can also tell them you want a reply within a reasonable time frame (give them a couple of weeks) and state that if you haven't heard you will take the matter to the small claims court. Then send that via registered post (means you get a signature to say it's been received). Keep a copy and details of the recorded delivery as that gives you extra evidence if you need to take it further.

The problem is that it is going to boil down to technical details which unless you have some kind of background knowledge on it (which I doubt a magistrate would) you'll just have to go on what others tell you. I will threaten them with small claims court but it will just be a bluff because I simply don't have the time nor patience for that kind of thing.
Virgin is not a BT whitelabel, they operate on separate infrastructure, moving to a BT based service would require the installation of a new phone line which can be expensive. EE will run off BT's infrastructure and therefore a phone line installation will also apply. I would definitely recommend against EE, they are the worst rated particularly in customer service.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Yippee Ki Yay
Virgin is not a BT whitelabel, they operate on separate infrastructure, moving to a BT based service would require the installation of a new phone line which can be expensive. EE will run off BT's infrastructure and therefore a phone line installation will also apply. I would definitely recommend against EE, they are the worst rated particularly in customer service.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I switched back to Sky as they now offer Fiber optic in my area (they didn't a few months ago that's why I switched to Virgin). Getting the same speeds, for £10 a month (if you call they offer £10/mo for 12 months on a 12 month contract).

Also Virgin didn't require a specific line I don't think. They just sent me a hub and I plugged it in and was ready to go.
Reply 13
Original post by Jebedee

My 120Mb Virgin Media line sticks to 120Mb like a fly on a lantern. My BT connection back at home, however, drops to .5Mbps very frequently (from a supposed 6). It depends entirely on where you are and how your Internet is being served to you. For instance, back at home for me there is no LLU, so it is all BT's monopoly. Up here I have choice, and Virgin have to provide the best service.
I switched back to Sky as they now offer Fiber optic in my area (they didn't a few months ago that's why I switched to Virgin). Getting the same speeds, for £10 a month (if you call they offer £10/mo for 12 months on a 12 month contract).

Also Virgin didn't require a specific line I don't think. They just sent me a hub and I plugged it in and was ready to go.

They do. They run their network independently of the BT network which most other ISPs operate over.
Original post by mikeyd85
They do. They run their network independently of the BT network which most other ISPs operate over.

They sent me a hub and didn't say anything about a phone line. I had a NTL line before it seems so I plugged it into that.
They sent me a hub and didn't say anything about a phone line. I had a NTL line before it seems so I plugged it into that.

Yeah, Virgin bought the NTL network. You don't have to have a phone there, it just can be used for a phone.
Reply 17
Original post by CJKay
My 120Mb Virgin Media line sticks to 120Mb like a fly on a lantern. My BT connection back at home, however, drops to .5Mbps very frequently (from a supposed 6). It depends entirely on where you are and how your Internet is being served to you. For instance, back at home for me there is no LLU, so it is all BT's monopoly. Up here I have choice, and Virgin have to provide the best service.

Where are you based? 50 is the max we can get here. It makes sense that location makes a difference. If virgin was as bad everywhere else as they are here. The law would have to step in and shut them down.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Original post by Jebedee
Where are you based? 50 is the max we can get here. It makes sense that location makes a difference. If virgin was as bad everywhere else as they are here. The law would have to step in and shut them down.

Posted from TSR Mobile

West London/Surrey area. The rule is: Virgin inside London (because their best stuff is more reliable than BT's), BT outside London (because you don't have much choice).
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by CJKay
West London/Surrey area. The rule is: Virgin inside London (because their best stuff is more reliable than BT's), BT outside London (because you don't have much choice).

I've heard complaints about all companies in the Cardiff area. It's like the internet dead zone or something.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending