The Student Room Group

Orange juice contains as much sugar as Coca Cola

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/10566542/Wean-yourself-off-orange-juice-says-government-health-tsar.html

I found this shocking! I mean I knew about all the natural sugars and stuff in fruit of course, but health experts are now recommending a tax on juice on account of its sugar content.

The article mentions how drinking juice is not the same as eating the fruit, which makes sense. But I don't understand why the sugar content is more significant in juice? How could the sugar content of juice be higher than the fruit it came from? Or is this something to do with manufacturers adding sugar to the juice?
Reply 1
It's because the juice has all the pulp removed, so to get the same volume of juice as fruit, there is a much higher sugar content. Imagine you need 300g of oranges to make 100g of juice, but all the sugar that was in those oranges is still present in the juice.

Fruit juice is still pretty healthy, but only when consumed (like anything else) in moderation, which is why it's recommended that you only ever count it as 1 of your 5 a day - meaning don't drink more of it that you need to get 1 portion. It's probably healthier than coke because most people would drink far more coke in a day than orange juice.
Reply 2
I always dilute my juice. I find it tastes better actually.
Reply 3
Original post by Tai Ga
I always dilute my juice. I find it tastes better actually.

lol, keep fooling yourself.

OP - how is this basic fact of surprise to you.

The difference between coca cola and orange juice is that it is natural, contains fructrose, and is nicer.
This has been known for some time, even smoothies made from fruit are extremely bad for you sugar wise, the only healthy smoothies are vegetable smoothies because it doesn't matter if you have loads of vegetables at once.
Everything seems to be "unhealthy" these days! Just stick to water I guess :cool:
There is no such thing as an unhealthy food. Every good in moderation is fine. I cannot stand this argument that certain foods should be avoided, and for example that fat makes you fat. Calories out > calories in to lose weight. It's as simple as that. No food makes you fat.

Look at school dinners for example... All this stuff now about 'oh we have healthy school dinners.' No we don't. We have what people term as 'healthy' foods but they're no different in calories. For example most schools pedal potato wedges every day. They're the same as chips but classed as 'healthy...' So much broscience is pedalled in the fitness world and it annoys me so much. Then you've got the morons who say they just can't lose weight when there is nothing physiologically wrong with them, apart from they eat to much and they don't know how many calories are in things.
Reply 7
Original post by tehforum

The difference between coca cola and orange juice is that it is natural, contains fructrose, and is nicer.

wut? :confused: Why am I fooling myself?

I just find orange juice too sweet and like to add water.
Reply 8
Original post by Tai Ga
wut? :confused: Why am I fooling myself?

I just find orange juice too sweet and like to add water.

Drink cordial instead then

Agree with that 2nd sentence.
Coke is said to be bad for your teeth-and it is-but fruit juices are pretty bad to (due to sugar and acidity).
But in schools and so on we have it rammed down out throats that coke is bad on and on yet these same idiots believe fruit juice to be perfectly healthy.
And you get peole on a "diet" yet have so much fruit juice or milk or whatever and fail to see the calories in them after say 5 glasses a day in total.

In my opinion anyone who doesn't know how high fruit juices are in sugar really needs to pay more attention to their diet.

Coke will have more added stuff which can't be too healthy compared to fruit juice obviously.
Original post by uktotalgamer
There is no such thing as an unhealthy food. Every good in moderation is fine. I cannot stand this argument that certain foods should be avoided, and for example that fat makes you fat. Calories out > calories in to lose weight. It's as simple as that. No food makes you fat.

Look at school dinners for example... All this stuff now about 'oh we have healthy school dinners.' No we don't. We have what people term as 'healthy' foods but they're no different in calories. For example most schools pedal potato wedges every day. They're the same as chips but classed as 'healthy...' So much broscience is pedalled in the fitness world and it annoys me so much. Then you've got the morons who say they just can't lose weight when there is nothing physiologically wrong with them, apart from they eat to much and they don't know how many calories are in things.

That point you made on fat is a good one. Felt like mentioning it in the fat tax thread but couldn't be arsed. In fact they introduced a fat tax in Denmark and it went tits up, they taxed things like crisps, cakes etc, which I agree with, but did it for the wrong reasons (fat content not processed/refined sugar content, which means all those healthy oily fish, avocados, whole milk, eggs etc, got taxed). Politicians should stick to politics, too ****ing stupid to meddle in science.
Original post by Wilfred Little
That point you made on fat is a good one. Felt like mentioning it in the fat tax thread but couldn't be arsed. In fact they introduced a fat tax in Denmark and it went tits up, they taxed things like crisps, cakes etc, which I agree with, but did it for the wrong reasons (fat content not processed/refined sugar content, which means all those healthy oily fish, avocados, whole milk, eggs etc, got taxed). Politicians should stick to politics, too ****ing stupid to meddle in science.

I fail to understand how the mainstream media, and also to an extent the NHS pedal so much dietary rubbish. The concept is simple. A gram of carbs, or a gram of protein is 4 calories. A gram of fat is 9 calories. That is why fat is given such a bad rap. Fat I think gives the illusion of making you fat because foods that are predominantly high in fat end up with more calories in them. The fat tax is just a terrible idea. I eat pizzas, kebabs etc and I'm certainly not fat. I don't see why I should be taxed for someone who can't control themselves.

There is an argument that orange juice is healthier at a micronutrient level, but certainly at the macronutrient level it's basically the same as coke.
Reply 13
How are you even asking this?
For one coke is packed with artificial sweeteners (inc aspartame), preservatives and sometimes colouring. Juice usually has natural sugars unless you buy the ones which add extra like rubicon - In that case there is not much difference.

Even though they are both sugars and eventually have the same end effect, mainstream health and science doesn't tell you the impacts of the extra substances added in these soft drinks.

The sugar used in Coca-cola is usually fructose.
Original post by be awake
mainstream health and science doesn't tell you the impacts of the extra substances added in these soft drinks.

Such as?
Not if its 100% pure orange juice that I drink, tropicana, and it counts as your 1 of 5 a day!
Original post by Legendairy
Not if its 100% pure orange juice that I drink, tropicana, and it counts as your 1 of 5 a day!

Please say you're trolling.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending