nju
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
When resitting a module, is the max capped at 40%? or is it different?
DarkWhite
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by nju)
When resitting a module, is the max capped at 40%? or is it different?
It's a little complex.

If you are resitting the module because you didn't meet the criteria to progress to the next stage of your course, then it is not capped, however the new mark is only used to determine whether or not you can progress; your original mark is the one which counts towards your final degree classification.*

If you have chosen to resit in attendance (e.g. resitting the whole year again) then they shouldn't be capped.

If you have extenuating circumstances, then it depends entirely on what you were told by your school/department - they could be capped, uncapped, for progression only, or a whole host of other things.

Additionally, certain programmes accredited by professional bodies may have stricter or more specific regulations on resits, such as Medicine.

The relevant regulations are 13 onwards of the Quality Manual's Study Regulations: http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/academic...tecourses.aspx.

They're difficult enough for me to digest, and I have at times helped rewrite them, so don't worry if you don't understand them! Your best bet is to discuss your individual circumstances with your personal tutor, or if they don't know what they're talking about or you want independent, confidential, impartial advice, have a chat with one of the Education Advisers in the Students' Union (they're lovely!): http://www.su.nottingham.ac.uk/advic...h-your-course/

* - one thing the SU lobbied for last year when the opportunity was presented was for resit marks to count towards students' overall marks and therefore classifications, but capped at 40%. This was agreed, but I'm not the education officer any more, don't sit on those committees, so I'm not sure when/if this will come into effect; it might have seen a knock back or might not start until 2014/15 academic year..
closeenemies
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by DarkWhite)
It's a little complex.

If you are resitting the module because you didn't meet the criteria to progress to the next stage of your course, then it is not capped, however the new mark is only used to determine whether or not you can progress; your original mark is the one which counts towards your final degree classification.*

If you have chosen to resit in attendance (e.g. resitting the whole year again) then they shouldn't be capped.

If you have extenuating circumstances, then it depends entirely on what you were told by your school/department - they could be capped, uncapped, for progression only, or a whole host of other things.

Additionally, certain programmes accredited by professional bodies may have stricter or more specific regulations on resits, such as Medicine.

The relevant regulations are 13 onwards of the Quality Manual's Study Regulations: http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/academic...tecourses.aspx.

They're difficult enough for me to digest, and I have at times helped rewrite them, so don't worry if you don't understand them! Your best bet is to discuss your individual circumstances with your personal tutor, or if they don't know what they're talking about or you want independent, confidential, impartial advice, have a chat with one of the Education Advisers in the Students' Union (they're lovely!): http://www.su.nottingham.ac.uk/advic...h-your-course/

* - one thing the SU lobbied for last year when the opportunity was presented was for resit marks to count towards students' overall marks and therefore classifications, but capped at 40%. This was agreed, but I'm not the education officer any more, don't sit on those committees, so I'm not sure when/if this will come into effect; it might have seen a knock back or might not start until 2014/15 academic year..
Hi, I've just had first year resits, and I'm really worried I haven't passed to make it into second year. Are the examiners more lenient with resit marking/do most people generally pass resits/will I get another chance to resit if I fail this time round?
DarkWhite
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by closeenemies)
Hi, I've just had first year resits, and I'm really worried I haven't passed to make it into second year. Are the examiners more lenient with resit marking/do most people generally pass resits/will I get another chance to resit if I fail this time round?
Will they be more lenient?
No; that would be detrimental to upholding academic standards and an external organisation which accredits universities to hold degree-awarding powers, the QAA, would be unimpressed!

Are you more likely to pass second-time round?
Most people I know who have done resits have then passed. Evidently it depends on each individual and what they do between the two exams. If you didn't revise much then it'll depend more on the questions. If you dedicated some time to revising then getting the magic 40% (* see below) is well within your reach; the university thinks you're up to the job

Will you get another chance?
The first thing to note is that you may not need to; you might have progressed to the next year whether you even turned up to your resits or not.

(Original post by UoN Quality Manual - Undergraduate Course Regulations)
10. A student who fails one or more modules will still complete that stage (subject to Regulation 11 below), and so be awarded the total credit for that stage provided that they have:

(a) passed modules worth at least 80* credits and have a weighted average for the stage of at least 40% with no module marks of less than 30%

or

(b) passed modules worth at least 100* credits and have a weighted average for the stage of at least 50%

or

(c) passed modules worth at least 90* credits, have marks of 30% or more in modules worth at least 110* credits, and have a weighted average for the stage of at least 45%.

* Subtract 20 credits for students on Ordinary Degree courses. The resulting number of credits is also used to determine whether a student may be allowed to transfer to the next stage of an Ordinary degree course after being unable to progress to the next stage of an Honours or Integrated Masters course. In these cases, the weighted average is calculated over the best 100 credits of marks received by the student and the requirement to have no marks below 30% in (a) above applies only to these 100 credits.
An Ordinary Degree, for reference, is one where you take 100 credits a year rather than 120 and instead of a 1st/2:1/2:2/3rd you get a Pass/Merit/Distinction. You'd probably know if you were on one.

If you don't meet any of those requirements, then you may be able to resit. Two main ways of doing this:

1. (Original post by UoN Quality Manual - Undergraduate Course Regulations)
    19. A student who, after re-assessment, has not completed the stage under Regulations 9-11 above but:

(a) has passed at least 80 credits of modules in the stage (or 60 credits for students on Ordinary degree courses), and (b) has an average of at least 40% across all modules in the stage may, at the discretion of their School (and, if different, the School delivering the module), be permitted one further re-assessment in the failed modules at the next available opportunity.
    Basically, if you meet (a) and (b), you can ask your School/Department for a second re-sit and they will tell you if and when you might be able to do this.

2. You may ask your School/Department to repeat the year. If you rely on Student Finance, they permit you one extra year of funding to cover resits, etc. They're not obliged to let you resit, but I can't remember a student being refused this the first time they request it.

After all of that, if you're having no success, there is an all-encompassing committee called Quality & Standards Committee which can bypass any of the University's regulations, however you will need to demonstrate why your case is exceptional to the regulations, which is extremely rare.

Full regulations at http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/academic...tecourses.aspx (they are complicated!)

Bear in mind I'm just a student, not a professional advisor.

Your best bet by far is speaking to the Student Advice Centre in the Students' Union. They offer free, imprtial, independent, confidential advice: http://www.su.nottingham.ac.uk/advic...h-your-course/.

You can and also should speak to your Personal Tutor about your options as they can help you speed things up and you'll want them to sign off forms etc in a timely manner.
bizzybone
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by DarkWhite)
It's a little complex.

bizzybone
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi there,is it true that they actually accepted capping at 40%,I will be very very happy if that is true because I didn't turn up at one of my exams in January,so it will go as 0% towards my degree.
bizzybone
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi there,is true that resit marks will be capped at 40% from now onwards?
Rrrrrr
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
When re sitting, if you do worse in one module, can they uphold your previous, higher mark, towards your average
Polpolp123
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Does the uni have to let you resit modules you failed 1st attempt, For 1st year?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (103)
13.29%
I'm not sure (33)
4.26%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (238)
30.71%
I have already dropped out (19)
2.45%
I'm not a current university student (382)
49.29%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed