arranrice
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hello All,

So I'm seriously contemplating giving up on my French GCSE. I know very well that it's bad to say I'm giving up and it makes me sound like I have a bad attitude. My French grade at the moment is a D, in the mock exams I got a mid D and in all but one of my controlled assessments I have got a D so far.

In all my other subjects. I'm getting high B's-A*s.

My problem with French is that I hardly understand any of it and I'm not learning anything in the subject that helps towards controlled assessments. What adds to the frustration is that I really want to speak French but I don't want to be pressured with learning French at school.

Controlled assessments are basically huge spelling tests. We have to write a 300 or so word piece then learn it off by heart to write it in the controlled assessment exam. Writing a 300 word piece is easy with the help of sheets given in lesson (adapting texts) and a dictionary. But then you basically have to learn the 300 words in order just to write them again in the exam, then after a day you would have forgotten it all anyway so they are pointless. It is not showing you are good at French as all you are doing is adapting tests. It just shows how good your memory is.

At the moment French is just dragging me down, all my time is spent trying to learn these controlled assessments and I'm not spending any time revising other subjects. At the moment I'm working at very high B's in both English and maths so I would prefer to work and bring them up to an A, compared with putting all my time into french and being very lucky to get a low c.

So I really want to give up on French, I will still go to lessons and everything and try and learn new vocab, but I don't really want to try in my controlled assessments and revising it so then I can focus on my other subjects.

I still want to learn French so I have recently bought rosetta stone french levels 1-5 and I'm slowly working my way through that. But I see no point in working loads just to say I got a D-C in french on a piece of paper, when after college it won't mean much anyway.

My plan is just to focus on my other subjects from now on and not bother too much with french (school french), this will help me push my grades in most of my other subjects higher (subjects in which I'm actually taking for A-Level later on this year). I will still be doing French, but at my own pace at home and with no pressure to learn hundreds of words for any assessments.

I don't want to consult my teachers about it because they won't really do much. I have already asked to drop French last year and I wasn't allowed. My parents think it's a good idea to focus on my other subjects because at the moment I'm literally spending all my time on French, a subject which I probably won't even pass.

What do you guys think?
Revision Notes
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Is French your only foreign language? If so, I think you shouldn't drop it as it will hurt your university application.

I see that you are spending a lot of time on french but still it is dragging you down. I got a low B in German for my mocks but managed to increase it to an A*.

Overall, it depends on whether you feel confident in your other GCSEs. If you are confident you'll get A*/A (without much revision) in at least 7 subjects then you should take French and maybe consider having a tutor or asking your teacher outside of the lessons.
arranrice
Rep:
?
(Original post by Revision Notes)
Is French your only foreign language? If so, I think you shouldn't drop it as it will hurt your university application.

I see that you are spending a lot of time on french but still it is dragging you down. I got a low B in German for my mocks but managed to increase it to an A*.

Overall, it depends on whether you feel confident in your other GCSEs. If you are confident you'll get A*/A (without much revision) in at least 7 subjects then you should take French and maybe consider having a tutor or asking your teacher outside of the lessons.
I could maybe get 7 A*-A at GCSE if I work hard towards it. Something which I'm willing to do. If not I will end up getting a mix of B's and A's if I focus on French.
Revision Notes
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by arranrice)
I could maybe get 7 A*-A at GCSE if I work hard towards it. Something which I'm willing to do. If not I will end up getting a mix of B's and A's if I focus on French.
I think it is probably best for you to drop French then. It seems like French will pull you down. How many gcses are you doing, and is French your only foreign language?
Presenttime
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I think the issue for you is time management. Try to spend an equal amount of time for each of the subjects that you are taking, but spend extra time on the subjects for which you have assessments coming up that count towards your final grade. Don't think about the grade per se.
arranrice
Rep:
?
I think it is probably best for you to drop French then. It seems like French will pull you down. How many gcses are you doing, and is French your only foreign language?
French is my only foreign language yes.

This I what I currently do -

French - Will most likely get a D.

English - Will most likely get a B, but can be pushed to an A with hard work.

Maths - Will most likely get a B, but can be pushed to an A with hard work. (2% of A in mock)

Physics - Will most likely get an A, got an A* in mocks however.

Biology - Will most likely get an A, got an A* in mocks however.

Chemistry Will most likely get an B, got an A & B in mocks however. Could work hard and push it to an A.

Geography - A*

Film Studies - A, but A* most likely, I have A* coursework (50% of GCSE) and my mock was 1 off an A%.

Graphics - A*

Business - A

ICT (national award thing) - Distinction (A)
arranrice
Rep:
?
(Original post by Presenttime)
I think the issue for you is time management. Try to spend an equal amount of time for each of the subjects that you are taking, but spend extra time on the subjects for which you have assessments coming up that count towards your final grade. Don't think about the grade per se.
I'm quite good with time management. All homework and coursework that you do at home I end up finishing it early. For instance with graphics I have completed my coursework up to an A/A* and all of the class hasn't. My motivation is very good.
Revision Notes
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
French is my only foreign language yes.

This I what I currently do -

French - Will most likely get a D.

English - Will most likely get a B, but can be pushed to an A with hard work.

Maths - Will most likely get a B, but can be pushed to an A with hard work. (2% of A in mock)

Physics - Will most likely get an A, got an A* in mocks however.

Biology - Will most likely get an A, got an A* in mocks however.

Chemistry Will most likely get an B, got an A & B in mocks however. Could work hard and push it to an A.

Geography - A*

Film Studies - A, but A* most likely, I have A* coursework (50% of GCSE) and my mock was 1 off an A%.

Graphics - A*

Business - A

ICT (national award thing) - Distinction (A)

Your grades seem quite good. However, if you feel that French is too much work and you won't understand it etc, then you should drop it. Aim for 6A*: Physics, Biology, Geography, FS, Graphics and maybe maths/chemistry.

From now on spend at least 2 hours a day revising topics you don't understand. Always go outside the classroom and ask your teachers for help.

Also what A Level options do you want to take, and what are you career prospects?
arranrice
Rep:
?
Your grades seem quite good. However, if you feel that French is too much work and you won't understand it etc, then you should drop it. Aim for 6A*: Physics, Biology, Geography, FS, Graphics and maybe maths/chemistry.

From now on spend at least 2 hours a day revising topics you don't understand. Always go outside the classroom and ask your teachers for help.

Also what A Level options do you want to take, and what are you career prospects?
I won't be dropping it as such. I will just not be putting tons of work into controlled assessments.

I'm going to start spending 2-3 hours a day on subjects other than french now. Going to prepare a fresh revision timetable as my current one isnt working quite right for me.

For A-Levels I have opted to do -

ICT, Business, Maths and Geography. I have already had a conditional offer at a very good college to take these options asl ong as I get 4 B's as GCSE which won't be a problem.

For my career, I want to do something ICT based. I have already been offered jobs in ICT after college due to owning an ICT based company already.

My immediate plans after college is to go to an american university, then get a few years experience working in ICT for a large company, then leave and do my own thing.
Venus fly trap
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Quality not quantity. I personally believe that it is best for you to get 7A*s-As for example, then maybe only 3/4A*s/As and a D in French. I think you need to decide what you want out of this GCSE French, and realistically whether it is worth trying to pull it up. If you think it is worth it then go for it!
arranrice
Rep:
?
(Original post by Venus fly trap)
Quality not quantity. I personally believe that it is best for you to get 7A*s-As for example, then maybe only 3/4A*s/As and a D in French. I think you need to decide what you want out of this GCSE French, and realistically whether it is worth trying to pull it up. If you think it is worth it then go for it!
I don't really want anything out of french, and I would prefer higher grades in higher subjects. I still want to learn french, but just not in school so all the pressure is lifted off me.

I'm currently using roesetta stone and learning french at my old pace, and it's fun too!
Venus fly trap
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I don't really want anything out of french, and I would prefer higher grades in higher subjects. I still want to learn french, but just not in school so all the pressure is lifted off me.

I'm currently using roesetta stone and learning french at my old pace, and it's fun too!
I understand where you are coming from! From my experience of GCSE Languages (German + French) they were horribly taught and the language we learnt was completely irrelevant. Learning from Rosetta Stone will be much more useful, and it's great that you enjoy it.
arranrice
Rep:
?
(Original post by Venus fly trap)
I understand where you are coming from! From my experience of GCSE Languages (German + French) they were horribly taught and the language we learnt was completely irrelevant. Learning from Rosetta Stone will be much more useful, and it's great that you enjoy it.
Thanks!
Rosetta stone is much more conversational based instead of doing all this verb endings and tense stuff. With Rosetta you kind of just pick it all up as you go along.
futbol
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It depends on what you want to do at university. Some courses need you to have a minimum of a 'C' in a MFL at GCSE. I don't see the point in completely forgetting about your French GCSE, no harm in trying.
L'Evil Fish
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
French isn't a hard GCSE to get an A or higher in tbh.

Don't give up! Learn grammar and work up, that's how I did it
arranrice
Rep:
?
(Original post by L'Evil Fish)
French isn't a hard GCSE to get an A or higher in tbh.

Don't give up! Learn grammar and work up, that's how I did it
We are all different!
arranrice
Rep:
?
(Original post by futbol)
It depends on what you want to do at university. Some courses need you to have a minimum of a 'C' in a MFL at GCSE. I don't see the point in completely forgetting about your French GCSE, no harm in trying.
The courses that I have looked into don't require this. Plus, If I can get good at French without a GCSE in it (Using rosetta stone and trips to france) I can include that in my application anyway.
futbol
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
That's good then, I was just wondering whether you'd looked into it. I only got a C at GCSE but I really enjoy speaking french and I think I can speak it better than some people who got A's at GCSE.

Good luck with it.
L'Evil Fish
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
We are all different!
Yes, but it's still easily doable if you learn some words and those phrases you get given.
arranrice
Rep:
?
(Original post by futbol)
That's good then, I was just wondering whether you'd looked into it. I only got a C at GCSE but I really enjoy speaking french and I think I can speak it better than some people who got A's at GCSE.

Good luck with it.
Thankyou!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (21)
18.58%
I'm not sure (2)
1.77%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (32)
28.32%
I have already dropped out (3)
2.65%
I'm not a current university student (55)
48.67%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed