PLEASE HELP!! Confusion re: qualitative/quantitative studies

Watch
Jmrg93
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hi there,
I'm trying to complete a presentation where we have to analyse research papers and compare qualitative/quantitative studies BUT I am so so confused and I cannot work out which is which.
For example:
One study has gathered their data via interviews (qualitative right??) BUT THEN they have done all this statistical analysis on it and worked out the probability values and significant difference....does this now make it quantitative?????
I have been stuck for so long and since it is a Sunday the lecturers aren't in to help me. Any help would be so great I feel like I'm gonna rip my hair out soon. Thank you!!!

EDIT:
Here is an example of one!! They have done an observational study (SURELY that is qualitative??) but then statistically analysed the hell out of it so I dunno whether this is now classified as quantitative.
Objective

Studies suggest that pain is under-recognized and under-treated in those with severe dementia. Identifying pain is the first step in its effective management. Few studies have investigated the utility of behavioural pain tools in those with advanced dementia.

Methods

Participants were nursing home residents with advanced dementia who were observed on three occasions using a pain assessment tool (PAINAD). Following further assessment, an appropriate management plan was formulated for those thought to be in pain. Participants who scored above the cutoff (two) on the PAINAD scale, but were felt not to be in pain, formed the false positive group. The pain and false positive groups were reassessed at 1 and 3 months.

Results

Seventy-nine participants completed the study, with 39 participants scoring above two on the PAINAD. Of these, only 13 were assessed as being in pain. The other 26 participants who scored above the cutoff on PAINAD were not felt to be in pain. Instead, their behaviour had a psychosocial explanation, often to do with a lack of understanding as to what was happening to them. The sensitivity of PAINAD was 92%. In those with pain, a significant decrease was demonstrated in the PAINAD scores on intervention following treatment for pain (p = 0.008).

Conclusions

PAINAD is a sensitive tool for detecting pain in people with advanced dementia, but has a high false positive rate, frequently detecting psychosocial distress rather than pain. PAINAD can be used to assess whether pain management strategies have been successful. Copyright © 2010 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (29)
13.62%
I need help researching courses (14)
6.57%
I need help with filling out the application form (9)
4.23%
I need help with my personal statement (89)
41.78%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (52)
24.41%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (4)
1.88%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (16)
7.51%

Watched Threads