?
Report 5 years ago
yes
chocolatesauce
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
English is the most important subject. Good English is required in every single subject you do. Most jobs you get later in life require good English, it is key to everything. English whether it be written or verbal is the main ingredient of any valuable employee, so get it right.
username941859
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Not as important as Language at GCSE, but at A level, Literature becomes the more respectable choice
username877577
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Calllu-m)
Not as important as Language at GCSE, but at A level, Literature becomes the more respectable choice
But achieving a higher grade in Literature is better than in Language

Posted from TSR Mobile
Chlorophile
  • Study Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
What does 'important' mean?

(Original post by Olympiad)
Posted from TSR Mobile
Better in what sense?
Chihiro95
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yes. English literature is good for developing analytical techniques which can be applied to pretty much every other subject. Being able to take apart a text and look at it critically is a very important skill to have.
monisj1
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago

Posted from TSR Mobile
yeh but some people do not do english lit they just do english language co thats what units ask for not lit
username877577
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Chlorophile)
What does 'important' mean?

Better in what sense?
English literature is considering a harder subject compared to language, therefore more respected.

Hence, if you got a C in Language but an A* in Literature, the literature grade is thought to be a better reflection of you.
username941859
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

Posted from TSR Mobile
Universities don't specify a grade in English lit GCSE usually, just language, so better is a speculative term
clara16
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Language is the baseline for most uni offers. Eg) they might say a B in lang is essential for a particular course but not mention literature.
A Level literature however is more respected than language

Posted from TSR Mobile
Chlorophile
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
English literature is considering a harder subject compared to language, therefore more respected.

Hence, if you got a C in Language but an A* in Literature, the literature grade is thought to be a better reflection of you.
Thought by whom? Whilst it may well be that English Literature is more difficult than Language (which I would agree with), the fact of the matter is that as far as Universities are concerned, it is your grades that matter, not the subject. Universities aren't going to care whether your A* is in Literature or Language.

Additionally, no University will set a requirement on English Literature. Getting a C in Language and an A* in Literature may be more impressive than an A* in Language and a C in Literature, but you still won't get into courses requiring a B in Language (i.e. lots).
username877577
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Thought by whom? Whilst it may well be that English Literature is more difficult than Language (which I would agree with), the fact of the matter is that as far as Universities are concerned, it is your grades that matter, not the subject. Universities aren't going to care whether your A* is in Literature or Language.

Additionally, no University will set a requirement on English Literature. Getting a C in Language and an A* in Literature may be more impressive than an A* in Language and a C in Literature, but you still won't get into courses requiring a B in Language (i.e. lots).
My friend got into Oxford to study Philosophy I think it was. She didn't meet their Language requirements (got a C) but her Literature grade (A) allowed her to get in.

Posted from TSR Mobile
username941859
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

Unless a uni course specifies that you need a B in GCSE English language? An A* in lit might not make up for a poor language grade.
username877577
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Calllu-m)
Unless a uni course specifies that you need a B in GCSE English language? An A* in lit might not make up for a poor language grade.
It did in the above example.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Changing Skies
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
As others have said, Language is more important!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Chlorophile
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
My friend got into Oxford to study Philosophy I think it was. She didn't meet their Language requirements (got a C) but her Literature grade (A) allowed her to get in.
Posted from TSR Mobile
That is a very specific case, and it is probably the exception rather than the rule. I have to say though, I struggle to understand how anyone can do brilliantly in literature whilst doing terribly in language, since the latter is more or less a pre-requisite to the former.
username941859
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It did in the above example.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I know someone who applied for History at Edinburgh and didn't get in because he had a C in Language, despite an A* in Literature. So it's not always concrete, and it's always safer to assume you need a better grade in language than you did in literature.
infairverona
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
That is a very specific case, and it is probably the exception rather than the rule. I have to say though, I struggle to understand how anyone can do brilliantly in literature whilst doing terribly in language, since the latter is more or less a pre-requisite to the former.
I know loads of people who did far better in lit than in lang, I find it really weird!
username1333513
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I guess it is but I think it's more important at A level whereas Language is important at GCSE because some courses at uni might require a B in english language
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (134)
17.77%
It's just nice to be back! (204)
27.06%
Not great so far... (271)
35.94%
I want to drop out! (145)
19.23%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed