The Student Room Group

Is this some kind of cohesion?

Example One

(I did not expect nor was prepared for the level of complexity (((I had experienced.) ((Licentious behaviour, gallant behaviour and ineffable camaraderie were in a sense anachronistic to me given my age.)){)))}

- The first sentence enclosed within the parenthesis ( and ) is a coherent unit by itself.

- The second sentence enclosed within the parenthesis (( and )) is also a coherent unit by itself.

- The full stop separates both the first and second sentence

HOWEVER

When reading both sentences, the text starting at the parenthesis ((( ' I had experienced' ties seamlessly with the text enclosed within (( and )) despite the full stop after 'experienced'.

Example Two

(The discourse my lecturer offered was invaluable for my understanding of the kind of support available (((at my university.) (( I was given an extensive list of support sessions and personal recommendations functioning as coping strategies.)){)))}

The first sentence enclosed within the parenthesis ( and ) is a coherent unit by itself.

- The second sentence enclosed within the parenthesis (( and )) is also a coherent unit by itself.

HOWEVER

When reading both sentences, the text starting at the parenthesis ((( ' at my university' ties seamlessly with the text enclosed within (( and )) despite the full stop after 'university'.

I do not know if this phenomenon has meaning and definition in the realm of grammar. I think it is 'ultimate' cohesion. Imagine writing a paragraph in which sentences link so seamlessly from one to another insofar that that a fragment from the sentence prior to a full stop would make sense when placed at the start of a sentence after a full stop, if that makes sense.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Student of UK
Example One

(I did not expect nor was prepared for the level of complexity (((I had experienced.) ((Licentious behaviour, gallant behaviour and ineffable camaraderie were in a sense anachronistic to me given my age.)){)))}

- The first sentence enclosed within the parenthesis ( and ) is a coherent unit by itself.

HOWEVER

When reading both sentences, the text starting at the parenthesis ((( ' I had experienced' ties seamlessly with the text enclosed within (( and )) despite the full stop after 'experienced'.

Example Two

(The discourse my lecturer offered was invaluable for my understanding of the kind of support available (((at my university.) (( I was given an extensive list of support sessions and personal recommendations functioning as coping strategies.)){)))}

The first sentence enclosed within the parenthesis ( and ) is a coherent unit by itself.

HOWEVER

When reading both sentences, the text starting at the parenthesis ((( ' at my university' ties seamlessly with the text enclosed within (( and )) despite the full stop after 'university'.

I do not know if this phenomenon has meaning and definition in the realm of grammar. I think it is 'ultimate' cohesion. Imagine writing a paragraph in which sentences link so seamlessly from one to another insofar that that a fragment from the sentence prior to a full stop would make sense when placed at the start of a sentence after a full stop, if that makes sense.

We are Maths

I will see if this can be moved to somewhere more appropriate
Reply 2
Original post by TenOfThem
We are Maths

I will see if this can be moved to somewhere more appropriate

I posted in this forum because the English sub forum seems less active than this forum and I have posted here before. Also my question is rooted in logic, is it not? If so then you may have the proclivity to provide me with some kind of answer given your skills in mathematics and subsequent logic.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending