What is the reality in which I exist?

Watch
Student of UK
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
What fills the 'medium' between myself and my wall? There must be 'something' other than 'nothing' for the structure of reality to manifest as we see it. If it were 'nothing' then I would not be able to see my wall, would I? Possibly not. What would I see? Darkness? That darkness is still something, isn't it?

Place an imaginary cube in front of your eyes and open one of its surfaces. What do you see inside of this cube? Do you see darkness; much like a void of 'nothingness'; though that is still 'something' or do you see the matter inconceivable to our senses. Matter that which under the 'laws of physics' allows for the fabrication of reality in which we exist. What is this reality I and everything exists in? Why does it manifest in this particular way to allow for life and the differentiation of other matter.

I have two congruent pens on my desk, the designs of which are identical and indistinguishable. Or are they? The atoms that constitute to the fabrication of one pen in our reality are different to the atoms that constitute to the fabrication of the second pen in our reality. It is evident that on an atomic level, these two pens are different. One pen might be slightly damaged on an atomic level and so have a different number of atoms to the other pen. Does this mean that I have two different kinds of pen on my desk? If so, then there exists only one of everything despite how objects should manifest as we see them at this particular scale of reality.

Our consciousness is one of many forms of consciousness and to answer such fundamental questions as 'Why we exist' is impossible because our brain is too premature. Perhaps in another million years our brains will allow us to answer such questions provided humanity still exists.

Personally, I think the 'fabric of reality' consists of some 'fractal matter' that is undetectable because it exists inside the imaginary cube. Of course, it is not 'fractal matter' but there has to be 'something' for our reality to manifest, right? Should you open the cube placed in the palm of your hand, you will discern the 'tapestry of design'. For us to see the tapestry of design, we must place ourselves outside of our consciousness but this is impossible I think.

This is Philosophy and this is shame because I don't know much of it. Nonetheless, this is very interesting stuff.
Jizzle88
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by [COLOR=#505050)
I guess this is Philosophy and this is shame because I don't know much of it. Nonetheless, this is very interesting stuff.[/COLOR]
Do you intend on studying it?
Student of UK
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jizzle88)
Do you intend on studying it?
Nope. My IQ isn't high enough. I post here in hope for answers to my questions. What about yourself?
Jizzle88
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Student of UK)
Nope. My IQ isn't high enough. What about yourself?
Haha, you are articulate and have an inquiring mind, which is more than enough.

I'm half way through my first year, PPE + Sociology.
Student of UK
Rep:
?
Haha, you are articulate and have an inquiring mind, which is more than enough.

I'm half way through my first year, PPE + Sociology.
That sounds incredibly interesting.

To add to my initial post: A microscope allows us to see this reality at different scales by use of a lens and some refractive law(s) no doubt. I shall arbitrary label this scale of our reality as X and the scale of reality in which microbes exist as Y.

X---------------Y

The --- represent the transition through the different scales of reality over time with use of a microscope. By using my insular knowledge, my intuitive assumption is thus: The 'matter' that allows us to observe the changeable scales of reality has some kind of fractal properties; much like a kaleidoscope of different colours I think. It is illusive and omnipresent and allows for the fabrication of our reality.
Jizzle88
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
That sounds incredibly interesting.

To add to my initial post: A microscope allows us to see this reality at different scales by use of a lens and some refractive law(s) no doubt. I shall arbitrary label this scale of our reality as X and the scale of reality in which microbes exist as Y.

X---------------Y

The --- represent the transition through the different scales of reality over time with use of a microscope. By using my insular knowledge, my intuitive assumption is thus: The 'matter' that allows us to observe the changeable scales of reality has some kind of fractal properties; much like a kaleidoscope of different colours I think. It is illusive and omnipresent and allows for the fabrication of our reality.
I recently wrote an essay on Relativity, The Philosophy of Time and Quantum Entanglement, it relates to this somewhat.

Your notion of an existential cube could be considered a crude allegory for the interior and exterior of quantum entangled systems/ subsystems of existential matter.

Are you referring to an existential 'glue' through which all matter relates and is connected?

Be careful not to 'philosophize' in a vacuum, relating your thinking to literature will both fuel and ground your ideas.
Student of UK
Rep:
?
I recently wrote an essay on Relativity, The Philosophy of Time and Quantum Entanglement, it relates to this somewhat.

Your notion of an existential cube could be considered a crude allegory for the interior and exterior of quantum entangled systems/ subsystems of existential matter.

Are you referring to an existential 'glue' through which all matter relates and is connected?

Be careful not to 'philosophize' in a vacuum, relating your thinking to literature will both fuel and ground your ideas.
Sorry, I don't know what you're talking about. I don't know of any existential matter or 'quantum physics' although I do recall watching a documentary narrated by the eminent professor Stephen Hawking in which he essentially labelled philosophy as 'dead' and that 'quantum physics' is the direction any answers are to be found should they exist. Yes I am referring to the 'glue' through which matter is connected and 'exists'. My posting is based on my personal observations and subsequent deductions of reality albeit anecdotal

I think all of this is way beyond me though given that my science stopped at GCSE level. Hence the crude cube allegory and general lack of 'science' in my posting.
Jizzle88
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Sorry, I don't know what you're talking about. I don't know of any existential matter or 'quantum physics' although I do recall watching a documentary narrated by the eminent professor Stephen Hawking in which he essentially labelled philosophy as 'dead' and that 'quantum physics' is the direction any answers are to be found should they exist. Yes I am referring to the 'glue' through which matter is connected and 'exists'. My posting is based on my personal observations and subsequent deductions of reality.

I think all of this is way beyond me though given that my science stopped at GCSE level. Hence the crude cube allegory and general lack of 'science' in my posting.
I personally have no GCSE's or A levels. I worked in construction/kitchens from 15. I have no real rigourous background in science myself, but being dyslexic, I think, allows me to relate ideas and knowledge 'cross field'.

If you are interested in something, tick away at it, spend time relating your idea's to the knowledge in the field.

Heres something to get you started, in science more generally: http://www.floatinguniversity.com/lectures-kaku

And heres a visualisation of entanglement. Polarised photons that are used to depict a property of the universe. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGkx1MUw2TU

And a brief article explaining it.
http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn24473-entangled-toy-universe-shows-time-may-be-an-illusion.html#.UtM4SNJdVZU

A fractal formation to the structure of the universe, is something cosmologists are giving consideration.
http://www.newscientist.com/article/...tals-are-out--
the-universe-is-a-big-smoothie.html#.UtM3h9JdVZU

This lot should give you some food for thought.
gr8wizard10
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The answer to your question is oxygen and other gases.
skunkboy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The realities of compounded things.

Posted from TSR Mobile why don't try it?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (87)
13.94%
I'm not sure (30)
4.81%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (197)
31.57%
I have already dropped out (13)
2.08%
I'm not a current university student (297)
47.6%

Watched Threads