The Student Room Group

Losing my mind.... Irish Student looking for funding

I don't really know where to start...

I'm in 2nd year of four in University in Ireland (ROI), I want to transfer to 2nd year in BCU. I currently get my fees paid and get a small maintenance grant, as my parents don't make much but I live at home, from Student Universal Support Ireland (SUSI).

I started looking at transferring before Christmas but couldn't get much answers.

Email from SUSI:

"In relation to your e-mail, if you are studying in the UK. You would not be entitled to a maintenance grant as it fees only you could apply for. For further information in regards to studying in the UK, please view the web link below from our website."

SUSI's Website:

"There are NO student grants available for fees for courses/colleges outside the Republic of Ireland. [...] Under the Student Grants Scheme maintenance grants are available for undergraduate courses of at least 2 years’ duration in a publicly funded third-level institution in another EU member state."

So SUSI don't have a clue. I would assume I can get my fees paid. That much does seem certain but I still don't know where I might find a source of income for living expenses. I was expecting a loan that'd pay back but for some reason I don't seem to be allowed to ask for one.

Anyone have any idea what the hell is going on? UCAS deadline is Wednesday but if I know I definitely wont be able to afford to go to BCU for my last to years, I'd prefer not to have waste money on an application for a college I'll never get to attend.
Hi , thanks for your query

with regards to transferring to a UK institute you would be classed as an EU student and currently EU students are only entitled to funding to cover the cost of their tuition fees.

Student finance England/ Northern Ireland currently do not offer any maintenance loans or grants to EU students whilst studying in the UK or Isles.

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending