need help in deciding research topic Watch

stats222
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I am doing my post graduation in statistics ,and have to do research project
any thing like survey or something else can any one help me what topic should i choose ? earlier i have done on "study of smoking habits of people"
and "survey on what kind of movies people watch and why"
pls help
Klix88
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
To some extent, you need to tie your research in with the interests of your supervisor. Although not vital, it really does help to have a supervisor who is engaged and interested, instead of just going through the motions.

Is there a member of staff with whom you get on well? Is there someone doing research that particularly interests you?

It isn't unusual (in my field, at least) to identify a potential supervisor, and then go and talk to them about research. I had a topic of my own, but was offered a couple of others by supervisors who had outstanding projects.
c2uk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Agreed, when I did my masters all academics published a list of potential research projects. Alternatively, browse the staff list and their research interests and when you spot one that interests you yourself, check out some of their recent articles & talk to them about it.
stats222
Rep:
?
(Original post by c2uk)
Agreed, when I did my masters all academics published a list of potential research projects. Alternatively, browse the staff list and their research interests and when you spot one
here ,I don't have any research guide I have to do it on my own ,so that is the prob .
I just need some ideas ,I selected few like studying crime rates ,survey on smoking habits ,survey on stock market investments ,study of export import of any particular product or anything such .
so So I just need any such kind of ideas ,really any good idea
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Look for something that might actually be useful in looking for a job.

Anything to do with the NHS (repeat admissions, staff days off sick, ambulance turn around times etc), or to do with education (UCAS will do ad-hoc data sets if you ask them, or your Uni Admissions office might have a pet project they want investigating - widening participation/mature students etc).
c2uk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by stats222)
here ,I don't have any research guide I have to do it on my own ,so that is the prob .
I just need some ideas ,I selected few like studying crime rates ,survey on smoking habits ,survey on stock market investments ,study of export import of any particular product or anything such .
so So I just need any such kind of ideas ,really any good idea
Well, as I said, browse the research interests of staff and see whether something stands out. I assume, you do have research active staff teaching you?

Failing that, returnmigrant's suggestion regarding thinking about job prospects isn't bad. Actually, browse some job adverts now and see which job would stand out and then build a research project around that - or around an organisation you'd like to work for...

And remember, you're supposed to be doing a master, not A-levels.
Klix88
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by stats222)
You won't be allowed to start your research until the topic at least has been approved. Do you know who would do this? They might be a good person to ask. If you haven't chosen a prospective supervisor yet, then your course leader would be an appropriate person whith whom to discuss the problem. They might be able to suggest other members of staff who might have projects.

It would be very unlikely that a Masters student is left entirely on their own to select a dissertation topic. Most people are very carefully guided to ensure that they work at an appropriate level, and have selected a project which is actually feasible in the time allowed. If you really haven't been offered help or guidance by your uni yet, then I strongly suggest that you proactively seek it. For all the guidance we offer, you need to make sure that you're fitting in with your department's research requirements. These will differ between unis, subject areas and departments.
stats222
Rep:
?
yeah you are right I'll see if anyone could help me doing this from my department .
Thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Keele University
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Thu, 27 Jun '19
  • Birkbeck, University of London
    Undergraduate Open Day - Bloomsbury Undergraduate
    Thu, 27 Jun '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19

What was the hardest A-level paper of 2019?

Edexcel Maths paper 1 (39)
24.22%
Edexcel Maths paper 2 (55)
34.16%
AQA Chemistry Paper 2 (27)
16.77%
Edexcel Maths Paper 3 (14)
8.7%
AQA Physics Paper 3 (26)
16.15%

Watched Threads