The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Failed Module

In your final year if you fail one 10 credit module by getting less than 30% in the exam, what happens? Do you fail the whole year?
Reply 1
​ye
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
You have to retake the exam in August. In that exam, you're capped at 40%, so even if you wrote a fantastic script you'd still only be awarded 40%

If you fail the resit you either have to retake the entire year, or you get kicked out of uni

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
But I've been led to believe Manchester Uni does't partake in final year resits?
Original post by Skywalker91
But I've been led to believe Manchester Uni does't partake in final year resits?

Sorry missed that bit (I'm in third year deadline hell too). Check your course guide, but I have a horrible feeling that unless you have mitigating circumstances then you end up with an Ordinary Degree

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by Skywalker91
In your final year if you fail one 10 credit module by getting less than 30% in the exam, what happens? Do you fail the whole year?

Whilst that may strictly be true, I'm not sure if it always applies directly. OP, if you fail a module but you get over 30% and it can be compensated (it's not a dissertation, or a 'core' module such as lab work or something else - check your handbook) then they'll just use that mark and allow you to get full honours (assuming that's the only problem you have). If you get less than 30% then you're in a bit of a pickle, because as Origami Bullets said, they may knock you down to Ord. It is possible that they would show you leniency and pretend that you passed the module, and let your mark count, but they're well within their rights to give you an Ord degree - not desirable at all!

Original post by Origami Bullets
Sorry missed that bit (I'm in third year deadline hell too). Check your course guide, but I have a horrible feeling that unless you have mitigating circumstances then you end up with an Ordinary Degree

I suppose it'll differ between Schools and different degrees, but that's what I've seen and dealt with. Does that sound right?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Strangey
Whilst that may strictly be true, I'm not sure if it always applies directly. OP, if you fail a module but you get over 30% and it can be compensated (it's not a dissertation, or a 'core' module such as lab work or something else - check your handbook) then they'll just use that mark and allow you to get full honours (assuming that's the only problem you have). If you get less than 30% then you're in a bit of a pickle, because as Origami Bullets said, they may knock you down to Ord. It is possible that they would show you leniency and pretend that you passed the module, and let your mark count, but they're well within their rights to give you an Ord degree - not desirable at all!

I suppose it'll differ between Schools and different degrees, but that's what I've seen and dealt with. Does that sound right?

It certainly doesn't sound wrong to me. However, I've never failed a module, so my knowledge of this is a bit limited truth be told.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending