Geckogirl64
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
How many different basic types of epithelial tissue are there? Everywhere I look says something different, from 6 to 8.

These are the ones I have found from various sources:
simple squamous
simple cuboidal
simple columnar
stratified squamous
stratified cuboidal
stratified columnar
pseudostratified ciliated columnar
transitional
glandular

I've also found that glandular and stratified cuboidal are both found in glands - are these the same type?

Are any of the others listed the same?

Any help appreciated!
Sinatrafan
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
• Epithelia are classified according to the number of layers of cells they contain and the shape of the cells.
• If the cells are arranged in a single layer, the epithelium is called simple; if the cells are arranged in two or more layers, the epithelium is called stratified.
• If the cells have a flattened shape, the epithelium is called squamous; if the cells have about the same height, width and depth, it is called cuboidal; if the height of the cells exceeds their width, it is called columnar.
• In addition to the above, there are two special types of epithelium called pseudostratified and transitional.
• Pseudostratified epithelium has the appearance of being stratified, because it has cell nuclei at different heights within the epithelium. This is because it has some low cells which do not reach the free surface, and some tall cells, which do. However, all the cells rest on the basement membrane, so it is in fact a simple epithelium.
• Transitional epithelium is the name given to the lining of the pelvis of the kidney, the ureter, the urinary bladder and parts of the urethra. It is a stratified epithelium that functionally accommodates well to distension and is essentially impermeable to salts and water.

Ripped from my notes; hope that helps.
Tangmashi
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I know this is 2 days old but I'll reply anyway. We learned 10 types of epithelial tissue, including 2 ciliated versions.

simple squamous - simple tissue for diffusion/filtration e.g alveoli lining
simple cuboidal - tissue for absorb/secretion in glands e.g production of milk, sweat oil
simple columnar - also for secretion/absorbtion but not in glands, lines digestive tract
stratified squamous - layers of cells for when tissue is subject to wear e.g skin
stratified cuboidal - cuboid cells for protection including gland ducts and conjunctiva
stratified columnar - absorb/secretion again but in the lining of the gland ducts
pseudostratified ciliated columnar - present in linings of respiratory tubes
transitional - shapechanging cells create tissues found in bladder
glandular - never heard of this

We also had:

pseudostratified columnar - no cilia, absorb/secrete e.g urethra tissue
simple columnar ciliated epithelium - lines respiratory tubes and moves mucus

We've never used the term glandular as an epithelial type, I assume its referring to simple cuboidal, stratified cuboidal and stratified columnar together in a generic description of tissues present.

Its very confusing because they mix n match a lot of the time except in very specific places. Hope that might have helped somewhat.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (43)
37.07%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (11)
9.48%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (5)
4.31%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (29)
25%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (18)
15.52%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (10)
8.62%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed