The Student Room Group

bereavement and personal problems affecting studies

Hello,
I'm currently half way through my second year of medical school, and I need some advice on possibly taking some time out of my studies.

In december, just before exams, a developed labyrinthitis that meant that I couldn't read, write or move around for more than a minute or two without feeling very unwell. I ended up missing one of the exams, which the medical school allowed me to defer to the end of January. Now, I'm pretty much totally recovered from the labyrinthitis, and was studying well until a couple of days ago, when my grandmother passed away. I'm really upset about this, and even though as she had a lot of health problems it still came as a complete shock. I moved away for medical school so I don't visit home that much, and I feel guilty for not having seen much of her the past couple of years. I'm really struggling to work well and have suddenly become terrified of this upcoming exam. I'm distracted and upset all the time, and revision seems to have become impossible.

The past couple of months seem to have really pushed me over the edge. I've struggled with depression and eating disorders for about the past 5 years, but I've learned a lot of coping mechanisms and I don't think it's affected my studies much. I got good grades in first year in the first mid-semester exam of this year, and I've really enjoyed the bits of clinical teaching we've had so far. I love medicine and medical school, but I do find it stressful and I find myself neglecting hobbies and my health.

I feel like I desperately need some time to get my mental health back. I feel like all the stress around medical school, exams, and all the recent problems are making me more and more unhappy and that I'm becoming unable to stop the depression and eating disorders from taking complete control of my life again. Over the past year I've completely isolated myself from my friends, lost all interest in any of the hobbies I used to do, and I've become increasingly obsessed with my weight, food and exercise.

Now, I don't feel like I should be making big decisions about medical school whilst I'm still so upset about my grandmother. But I'm really desperate for a proper break. I need to be studying for this exam, and then immediately after that second semester starts, so I won't have a decent amount of time off until summer. I'm not convinced I'll be able to make it to summer without completely burning out and I'm worried things will continue to get worse and I'll end up doing myself some real damage.

I haven't spoken to the medical school about this, but I'd like to take the rest of the year off, focus on getting properly healthy, and then start second year again in September. I think I need that amount of time to sort things out, but I have no idea if this is even possible. I'm scared to ask about it, but I'm more scared that I'll end up failing this exam and semester if I don't sort myself out.

I don't really know what to do. I'm panicking and I just need some advice. Should I suck it up, pretend I'm ok, sit this exam and keep going in the hope that things just improve by themselves this semester, or should I be honest and explain that I've been struggling for a while and I don't feel like I'm able to get on top of my problems while I'm here. Even if I don't make a decision now about the rest of the semester, what should I do about this exam?

Thank you so much if you managed to read all of that, I really appreciate any thoughts on what I should do.
Reply 1
Original post by medic_1

Spoiler

Sorry for the loss of your grandmother, and that you've been unwell. Your post really sounds like you are at the end of your tether, you must be very stressed out.

I think you know what you have to do really - "suck it up, pretend I'm ok" doesn't sound like a very sustainable strategy to me. Speak to whoever is responsible for your pastoral welfare at university, whether that's someone from the students' union/Medsoc or someone more "official" on the faculty. You will not be the first student to present with problems like this, and you won't be the last, and no harm can come to you just from talking to them. It will help you clarify in your mind exactly what problems there are right now, and they will have more information about what options you have in terms of postponing exams, taking time out etc. It may also help to see your GP given your background of mental health problems, to see if further support can be arranged.

In general, med schools don't want to fail people who are struggling for genuine personal reasons, though some of them do seem to be getting a bit cynical about people pulling out "extenuating circumstances" after failing an exam. If they are aware of a problem, they can offer you various options to manage it and get through, but if you don't tell them anything, they cannot help you, and are less likely to be sympathetic after the event if you do fail. There can be no harm in speaking to them, especially as you seem to have a sensible explanation and a suggested plan for how to manage your situation. The worst they can do is say no, and even if the worst comes to the worst and they do that and you fail your exams, you would have much stronger grounds for appeal having submitted ECs in advance than if you had not done so. So TALK TO PEOPLE!

Good luck sorting this out and getting yourself back on track.
Reply 2
Original post by Helenia
Sorry for the loss of your grandmother, and that you've been unwell. Your post really sounds like you are at the end of your tether, you must be very stressed out.

I think you know what you have to do really - "suck it up, pretend I'm ok" doesn't sound like a very sustainable strategy to me. Speak to whoever is responsible for your pastoral welfare at university, whether that's someone from the students' union/Medsoc or someone more "official" on the faculty. You will not be the first student to present with problems like this, and you won't be the last, and no harm can come to you just from talking to them. It will help you clarify in your mind exactly what problems there are right now, and they will have more information about what options you have in terms of postponing exams, taking time out etc. It may also help to see your GP given your background of mental health problems, to see if further support can be arranged.

In general, med schools don't want to fail people who are struggling for genuine personal reasons, though some of them do seem to be getting a bit cynical about people pulling out "extenuating circumstances" after failing an exam. If they are aware of a problem, they can offer you various options to manage it and get through, but if you don't tell them anything, they cannot help you, and are less likely to be sympathetic after the event if you do fail. There can be no harm in speaking to them, especially as you seem to have a sensible explanation and a suggested plan for how to manage your situation. The worst they can do is say no, and even if the worst comes to the worst and they do that and you fail your exams, you would have much stronger grounds for appeal having submitted ECs in advance than if you had not done so. So TALK TO PEOPLE!

Good luck sorting this out and getting yourself back on track.

Thanks for your reply,

I'm going to talk it through with a councillor and someone at the medical school tomorrow. I don't really want to interrupt my studies, so I'm planning on doing this semester while making sure I develop healthier study habits, put a lot more effort into relaxing and get back to a healthier mindset. I'm also planning on starting regular counselling sessions - student services offer them to people with all sorts of problems, and I think I need to start talking to someone regularly so I can keep my priorities in check.

I think I've still got a few options with this exam. And really the worst thing that can happen is I sit it and fail, which is probably unlikely given the work I've already done and really wouldn't be the end of the world anyway.

You've been really helpful. Sometimes I just catastrophise everything and assume the worst will happen, but so far the medical school has been supportive and I should probably trust that they'll find some option which fits my situation. Thank you.
Reply 3
Original post by medic_1
Thanks for your reply,

I'm going to talk it through with a councillor and someone at the medical school tomorrow. I don't really want to interrupt my studies, so I'm planning on doing this semester while making sure I develop healthier study habits, put a lot more effort into relaxing and get back to a healthier mindset. I'm also planning on starting regular counselling sessions - student services offer them to people with all sorts of problems, and I think I need to start talking to someone regularly so I can keep my priorities in check.

I think I've still got a few options with this exam. And really the worst thing that can happen is I sit it and fail, which is probably unlikely given the work I've already done and really wouldn't be the end of the world anyway.

You've been really helpful. Sometimes I just catastrophise everything and assume the worst will happen, but so far the medical school has been supportive and I should probably trust that they'll find some option which fits my situation. Thank you.

Seems like you've got a sensible plan. Good luck with the counsellor and whoever you speak to at the med school tomorrow, and hope it all works out for you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending