The Student Room Group

Sin bins...? Please leave our sport alone....

I just don't know what to say...

What are they doing?

Why is there this drive to make football as sterile as possible?

People suggesting we should introduce 'technology' for offsides...

It really worries me. I love football and yes, it hurts when a call goes against you but does it really damage the spectacle?

Slinking out of the stadium, you feel you've just been robbed, everyone's talking about it, you turn the radio on and there's a debate... we love it! We love the controversy! It's a huge part of football.

The decision yesterday was exciting! It was great tv. And sure, Newcastle fans will feel aggrieved but they'll have enough decisions go their way this season; everyone will!

Just leave football alone... just leave it alone. It's the best sport on the planet, a billion people will tune in to the World Cup opening ceremony. Does that not say something?

If it isn't broke, don't fix it.

They've wrecked the European Championships. They've make a mockery of the World Cup by staging it in Qatar... how can we trust these idiots with the rules?

If FIFA was a nation there'd be a revolution right around the corner.
Reply 1
If it isn't broke?

I'd say diving is an issue, in fact it's actually embarrassing and so would like to see those who dive being punished in some way.
I haven't heard about this. FIFA are considering introducing the sin bin to football?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Introducing the sin bin is a temptation for those cynical tackles which aren't quite bad enough to be red, and for dives, amongst other things.

Is it messing with football's traditions too much? Quite possibly
Original post by Jjj90
It really worries me. I love football and yes, it hurts when a call goes against you but does it really damage the spectacle?

Slinking out of the stadium, you feel you've just been robbed, everyone's talking about it, you turn the radio on and there's a debate... we love it! We love the controversy! It's a huge part of football.

The decision yesterday was exciting! It was great tv. And sure, Newcastle fans will feel aggrieved but they'll have enough decisions go their way this season; everyone will!

Every time I see this argument I want to bang my head against a wall because it's brought up as a reason to not change the game but in itself it comes from a modern football philosophy. The people that love the drama and controversy are largely from the Sky generation who place "entertainment" over sporting integrity.

Rupert Murdoch loves controversy, the MOTD panel love controversy, the newspaper editors love controversy ... the fans love seeing a clean match with a clear cut ending where the result is fair. This is why there's so much uproar over bad decisions and cheating and people pushing for technology to begin with. If real football fans wanted that talking point controversy stuff we may as well turn the game into something along the lines of the WWE model and decide in advance how to play the games out to make them most exciting to the audience.

Screwy finishes have no place in legitimate sport, end of. Any technological advances that can help to cut down on this sort of thing is a welcome addition.
Reply 5
Original post by IanDangerously
Screwy finishes have no place in legitimate sport, end of. Any technological advances that can help to cut down on this sort of thing is a welcome addition.

Is that a fact? I entirely disagree, it's a part of the enjoyment of it all in my opinion. Maybe i'm part of the 'Sky Sports generation', I wouldn't deny it, and I wouldn't mind. I think it's a valid argument and it springs up over in America too in baseball, there's discussion of cameras on first base; a needless innovation.

And whilst I do actually agree with you up to a point introducing cameras for offside decisions would change the game. A goal is scored and we pull it back? Ludicrous. Hopefully it'll never happen, there isn't particularly clamor for it right now.
(edited 10 years ago)
We don't need a sin bin just send off divers live Young, Welbeck and Janujaz first offence

Quick Reply

Latest